Kicker motor or not?

Hi there,

I run a 16 ft duroboat console with a 40 hp 2 stroke Nissan. The boat is very light and balances well as is and trolls fine with the main. However, because I fish alot in the salt, I'm considering getting a 4, 5, or 6 hp kicker motor for it as a safety piece and to potentially troll with to save the spark plugs on the main.

My concern though is that this will be too much weight in the back of the boat, especially as the transom isn't very deep, with only about a foot and a half of freeboard.

An alternative to buying the motor, I've considered, is to keep extra plugs in the boat and buy a VHF.

What do you guys think?

1 cylinder motors shuck and jive a little. But I would invest in a small 4 stroke kicker. Given that your main motor is light, a 4,5,6hp kicker weighing ~55lbs with an internal tank won't add too much back there.

Piece of mind. Quiet trolling and saving hours on the main for a $1500 investment is a no brainer to me. Given what used motors go for. You could use that kicker for 5-10 years and get more than 50% of your money back.

So for ~$100/year in depreciation you get cheap 'insurance' on the water as well as a more pleasurable, dependable and fuel efficient trolling experience.

Last edited:
If you are going anywhere of any distance get a small kicker. Over the many years I've had numerous times when my kicker got us home because of one thing or another with main.

If you decide to get a kicker make sure you run it frequently to ensure it's ready to go if you need it.
If it's not getting regular use, it may be reluctant to start in an emergency.
I also troll on the main, and don't have a kicker

If you are concerned about weight, I would get a 2 stroke, they weigh quite a bit less than the 4 stroke.

Get a long shaft 4 stroke kicker, they are super light. I have a 4 hp 4 stroke nissan long shaft for my 16' princecraft. It weighs around 50 lbs and I can troll for hours on a couple of litres of gas. Mine is rigged up to my steering with a simple threaded rod, but I don't have remote controls on the kicker, just the main.
Also I think all the newer 4/5/6 hp engines are all the same engines with different carbs on them so the engines all weigh the same amount.

Doesn't look like enough room on the transom to mount beside main, you will need a kicker bracket

Last edited:
If you are concerned about weight, I would get a 2 stroke, they weigh quite a bit less than the 4 stroke.
Plus if you are already running a 2 stroke main you won't need a seperate tank for a 4 stroke kicker, or run the risk of someone hooking the wrong supply to the appropriate motor.

Not enough room on the transom to mount beside main, you will need a kicker bracket
Why isn't there enough room to mount beside the main? Mine is and I've seen lots of others as well on an average sized 16' aluminum. I use a small separate tank, but my motor also has the built in tank which lasts about 2 or 3 hours. You won't be able to accidentally hook up the wrong motor to the wrong tank as the fittings are different or at least mine are.

Sorry, I see what you mean now. I guess you would have to add a block in to flush it up in order for it to fit there without a bracket.

FWIW. I added a 6 HP kicker (2 stroke) on a Garelick type bracket with a steering link to 16 ft alu boat with side console steering. I removed the kicker and went back to trolling with my 50 HP 4 stroke because I found the 50 to be very reliable (so called Mercaha), quiet and idling speed was a good trolling speed, very fishy. The single 4 stroke main approach worked well for me.

My 2 cents.

FWIW. I added a 6 HP kicker (2 stroke) on a Garelick type bracket with a steering link to 16 ft alu boat with side console steering. I removed the kicker and went back to trolling with my 50 HP 4 stroke because I found the 50 to be very reliable (so called Mercaha), quiet and idling speed was a good trolling speed, very fishy. The single 4 stroke main approach worked well for me.

My 2 cents.

I agree, although most of my fishing is in-shore.
otherwise I would likely want the kicker as a safety factor.

Is your 2 stroke Nissan oil injected or have to mix gas? If it's oil injected get a smaller 4 stroke so you can use the same gas as main motor. I would having to have two different types of gas on board.

Is your 2 stroke Nissan oil injected or have to mix gas? If it's oil injected get a smaller 4 stroke so you can use the same gas as main motor. I would having to have two different types of gas on board.
It is oil injected so four stroke might make sense of course also concerned about the weight on the four strokes.

Get yourself a kicker. Saves the hours on your main. Cheaper to buy a kicker every few years than replace your main cuz it's wore out from trolling.

Well over the years I have only had to use my kicker twice when the main failed..... But I surely loved having it when I needed it!!!

Back