Kicker for a heavy boat

k_im

I'm looking for a kicker for a 28' 9000+ lbs boat. While some people tell me a 9.9 high thrust is all I need, others are talking 15, 20 hp.
What do those of you with larger, heavier boats run as kicker motors?
Thanks

If you are ever in heavy wind or current situations I would go for at least a 15hp kicker.
9.9 might be a struggle

Ive been out on Dave Murphys Pursuit and he was running a 300 yami main with a 25hp kicker. It was definitely not underpowered!

I run a 9.9 merc on the same size and weight boat you refer to and looking to upgrade to a 15 hp as the 9.9 works pretty hard (and higher noise level) in a wind and a loaded boat

I was told by my mechanic that a 15 or 20hp Yamaha will not push a boat faster than the 9.9high thrust. They told me the next Yamaha that will do the job is the next high thrust model which is a 25hp

I've got a 23ft Hourston I'd say is close to #6500 and have a 8Hp and it is a little under powered in a strong current and wind. My next kicker will be at least 15-20Hp. If your boat has a lot of sail or surface area I would be going for the bigger motor. Never know when that will be your only motor to get you to safety. Plus when you don't need that power the motor is not working as had and will be a little quieter.

yup a twenny.. main ever breaks down ya can still get back safely and in a reasonable time

Ya a high thrust or Bigfoot model also check the power head sometimes they use the same power head for a few sizes. 20-25 would be great. Searun is look at a new suzuki 20 or 25 its worth a look

Last edited by a moderator:
A mercury 15 hp prockicker would push it along just fine. Same powerhead as a 20hp, just different carb. The extra hp is mainly all in the higher rpm range. The prockicker has the "bigfoot" bottom end with lower gear ratio and a larger 4 blade prop which gives you excellent thrust.

Got a couple in stock i could give you a deal on if you are interested.

Yep, I run a Grady 265 Express. The old 9.9 yami with the 15 hp powerhead was just ok. I have the new 9.9 HT Yami and its not even close. Way under-matched for the weight on my boat. Updating to the new 20 hp Susuki fuel injected HT. The nice thing with the Susuki is it is way lighter than the Yami 25 that David has on his boat. That extra weight causes David's pursuit to list to one side, so I'm going to try the Susi.

Yep, I run a Grady 265 Express. The old 9.9 yami with the 15 hp powerhead was just ok. I have the new 9.9 HT Yami and its not even close. Way under-matched for the weight on my boat.

My fears exactly. You folks have just saved me a potful of cash I would've spent on an inadequate motor.

IMRINC, I've sent you a PM

I have a 28' Bayliner 288 at 9000lbs -- it has an upper flybridge so tends to get pushed by the wind quite a bit.

For a kicker, I have a 20HP Tohatsu on a RemoteTroll steerable bracket. Has no problem moving the boat around and turning it even in winds 15kts+. I got it at Sooke Marine Centre and he added a high thrust Solas prop option.

Of special note, the Mercury Bigfoot Prokicker is actually made by Tohatsu (they make the small Nissan's as well). The 15Hp and 20Hp Tohatsu's are the same engine and weight -- just different carb setup. I chose the 20Hp because it has remote trim/tilt, a 12A alternator and a built in pull start for emergency starting. This is my 4th season with it -- runs great, well built, hightly recommended.

For a kicker, I have a 20HP Tohatsu on a RemoteTroll steerable bracket. Has no problem moving the boat around and turning it even in winds 15kts+.

I'd love to go the remote troll route, I just don't know if the Admiral will go for the extra cost.

My wishful thinking aside, what's a good source for a bracket here on the mainland?

I got my bracket for $220 shipped to the mainland on the bus from a guy in Duncan. It was powder coated white as well, awesome price and a sweet unit. Found him on used vic. I think his business was called bigrock fab or something along those lines

FYI Folks, I went with a 15 hp merc pro kicker. (IMRINC gave me a smokin' deal BTW)
Tried it out today, made 4.8 kts at 1/2 throttle ( still breaking it in ) Looks like it's going to be a gas miser as well.
Thanks to all of you for your input, and special thanks to IMRINC.

Back