Kicker choices

Thanks Osprey,
Last night we did a dry fit before permanently mounting it to see how it would all fit together and just where things would end up hanging and I managed to get the bracket to within one inch of the top trim on the stern and it still kept the prop below the bottom of the boat. With out being on the water on plane I really don't know where the prop will be when tilted but since I already have it as high as I can get it, it's gotta work (famous last words I know...lol.) Tonight we hang the new motor hook it all up and we're going out of Cheanuh to putt over to the crab grounds then two hours of break in time to do before fishing tomorrow.... thats the plan anyways. Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

If you buy the 8 or 9.9 Yamaha with hydraulic lift, note that you will need a fixed bracket where the motor mounting surface is ~11-12" if I recall. Many of the fixed brackets only have 5-6" of surface, while said Yamaha kickers should have much longer to support the lifting mechanism. The white one pictured would not have enough surface to support such properly, in my opinion. Perhap he can make a longer plate to on the aft side? Just some thought from one who make the decision last year and looked at lots.
Good luck.

DAJ

quote:Originally posted by dance a jig

If you buy the 8 or 9.9 Yamaha with hydraulic lift, note that you will need a fixed bracket where the motor mounting surface is ~11-12" if I recall. Many of the fixed brackets only have 5-6" of surface, while said Yamaha kickers should have much longer to support the lifting mechanism. The white one pictured would not have enough surface to support such properly, in my opinion. Perhap he can make a longer plate to on the aft side? Just some thought from one who make the decision last year and looked at lots.
Good luck.

DAJ
Thanks DAJ, I see what you mean but it is too late to change it now as everything is assembled already. Everything works good the way it is but your right the stress on the lift is only spread over a small area and I think the bracket could have been built with a longer mount.I'll see if I can get a picture up soon.... Steve.

fish.gif

quote:Originally posted by osprey

I would mount it so that the cavitation plate on the kicker is even with the bottom of the Hull or slightly lower if the power head is high enough to keep from catching spray constantly when tilted up and running. Any higher in relation to the Hull and you will compromise your steerage. You'll love that motor, Osprey
Osprey, It turned out to be a very fine line as to where to mount the kicker bracket. I only had one more inch to go up and with the tiller handle in the down position I only had about 2 inches to go down. I think I got it in the perfect spot and will try and get a pic up soon to show you where I ended up putting it.

fish.gif

Here's a picture of the new kicker motor. I've already put 14 hours on it and now she's in getting her first check over and oil change.
IMG_1093.jpg
[/img]
I tried to get the kicker bracket as high as I could with out going to high and I think I nailed it. there Really wasn't a lot of room to play with to start but I wanted to make sure the leg didn't drag in the water on plane.

fish.gif

Back