kicker brand

P

poachedsalmon

i'm getting a new kicker 5hp,4stroke. but have to choose between a yamaha or merc</u>. is there any reason one might be better than the other ?

quote:Originally posted by poachedsalmon

i'm getting a new kicker 5hp,4stroke. but have to choose between a yamaha or merc</u>. is there any reason one might be better than the other ?

Yamaha, Honda both been making 4 strokes longer than Merc. Ive had Mercs and now have Yammi's. No question its Yamaha.

I run a newer Merc 9.9 and my dad runs a newer 8 hp Yammy HT.

Both are quiet, smokeless and smooth. The only difference is that the Yammy is hard to start in cold weather. The Merc starts every time.

The Merc doesn't have a f-n-r shifter because it's built right into the tiller handle.....a handy feature.

Mercs are more popular in the US and Yammy's more in Canada.

Not sure if the 5 hp has 1 cylinder or 2. Make sure to get a kicker with twin cylinders or the vibration will drive you crazy. Spend a few more $ for the 8 or 9.9.

Hey guys, while we are the subject of kickers, will a 6 hp be enough to push a 16 ft campion fishing machine while trolling???[?]

I vote for Yamaha. I've had both Mercury and Yamaha and prefer the Yamaha by a huge margin. The T-8 has a great reputation.

I had one of Yamaha's first four stroke HT's on my sailboat for 8 years of fairly heavy use. Never gave me a bit of trouble. Then I had a 2stroke oil injected 30 horse tiller on an open aluminum boat I used several times a week, sometimes daily for 5 years. Sold it for a grand less than I paid for it new. Never had a problem. When I got my previous fishing boat, it needed a kicker and due to circumstances (boat was being repaired at a Merc. dealer) I got a 9.9 Merc. I've regretted it ever since. It's cantankerous, hard to start, runs rough, has had numerous warranty issues. I wish I'd sold it with my previous boat. It may be for sale soon... I love the look of the new 9.9 HTs w/ the power tilt. I think they look better too!

I have an 07 6hp yamaha,it pushes my 17' welded alum no problem.The new 6hp is the same as the 8hp just a smaller carb.

Definitely Yamaha. I have had a 9.9 high-thrust since 1999 and never had a problem.

Yamaha T-8. It hurt paying for it but I don't regret getting the tilt option.

yamaha t 8 pushes my 22ft weldcraft just fine. if you have an extra 3000.00 burning a hole in your pocket, pair it up with a TR-1 autopilot you will love fishing without having to steer the boat.[8D]

Hey PS, good choice. The Yami High Thrust moves my Seaswirl around very well, I don't think that you will be disappointed. SS

Back