Just got an old Zeta 24 and embarking on restoring it into a proper fishing machine

teleblaster

HI everyone.

I've been enjoying reading the forums for awhile and thought I'd like to participate so now I'm a member!

Just bought a Zeta 24 that I know the history of and am going to go through it over the winter with the goal of making it into a more suitable fishin machine.

The power and hull are good to go but the seating etc needs to be gone over and a paint job of course

What do you folks thing are the important things to consider as I gut the inside and go through it?

It has a fish locker on the back with a wet bait tank and still has a swim grid. I have to look at getting a kicker on the back and all the seats and electronics.....

I'm into it for $900 bucks as is so I can afford to spend some $$ on it over the winter.

Need a trailer too !

Thanks!

Attachments

• twin 135 hp mercs.jpg
    twin 135 hp mercs.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 373
  • seating.jpg
    seating.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 398
  • full shot.jpg
    full shot.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 460
oh yeah I sure will post as I go along....just never had a boat that I'm going to dedicate to fishing. I've always had to make do with what I had.

So now I'll build something I can be proud of and get the fish in without having to compromise.

I'll check out the site you recommended! Lots to learn for sure1

Thanks again

Rob

Rob

yes indeed....she has some good lines. I expect she'll look lot different in 6 months but the lines are puuuurfect the way they are!

Not sure about the engine hours, compression etc... but I'd really start there before I spent much time and money on fishing comforts. I'd consider doing a compression test if you haven't, hauling both engines out and do an overhaul of them if the compression testing checks out. Swap out the manifolds, risers, and impellers. Carb and engine cleaning. Do a repaint of the engines to freshen them up. Inspect cooling hoses and connectors. Take a close look at both starters (could be a ***** to get off with the engines in place, so consider getting them rebuilt), solenoids and alternators -- replace them if corroded.

While the engines are out, good time to do a clean and repaint of the bilge. Replace bilge pumps (even if the old ones are working). Gives you a better opportunity to inspect the stringers and transom for rot under the engine.

Then go at the legs. Take them apart. Gimble inspections and alignment -- possible replacement. Bellows replacements mandatory. Oil change on both -- looking for any signs of water intrusion and corrosion. Full lube of all fittings. Consider painting the legs with anti-foul if you plan to keep the boat in the water for any length of time -- not required if it will always be on your trailer (use the proper stuff, not bottom paint).

Lots of batteries back there. Take them into Cdn tire (or a battery shop) and have them all load tested. Better to know now that they need replacing then when you're coming home at the end of the day (or not). Consider re-doing the wiring job depending on it's condition. Nicely labelled fuse blocks with properly terminated/waterproofed, neatly run wiring really pays off in the long run -- way easier to do with the engines out too...

For paint/refinish I'd recommend using Interlux Perfection. Applied using a brush and it turns out fantastic. There are some great how-to videos on their website -- it's a ton of work doing the prep/sanding/filling/priming but will pay off -- not overly expensive. There is a thread here of a 14' Hourston I did a couple of years back -- still looks great.

BTW: that boat would be a great candidate for a pod and OB's if the I/Os are tired -- and then you'd no longer be into it for $900 :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Tenmile has some very sound advice fom an experienced boater who has seen a boat or two. But then again, he DID sell his striper, so I am not sure what he was thinking there. :pHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I liked my Striper. I LOVE my Bayliner 288 way better boat for how we use it. IMHO there aren't many boats that do a great job combining an excellent fishing platform with a very comfortable single engine fast cruising platform in this price range. But, don't want to derail this thread....

Some good advice there 10 mile! While it's tempting to go hard at the fun stuff inside I will attend to the mechanics first.

Kinia was repowered in 99 and has 400 hours on the engines and legs. I have all the maintenance records back to day one and the last survey result in 2009. It was clean with no issues.

I expect to at least get new batteries after it sitting on land for 3 years go through everything electrical and mechanical. I know the legs were gone through in 2006 including alignment and bellows etc. But I'll look at ll that again

I worked as a auto tech for 20 years and still have all the tools as well as all the body shop equipment from restoring cars at home as well as motorcycles for decades. Not moving as fast as I used to but more time than moneythese days!

I've since got her home and have all the canvas on and the inside cleaned out. I think I'll gut the seats and all the camping stuff..electric fridge , sink stove etc. The original seats are in reasonable shape but I'm thinking more fishing and less camping for Kania and I. Get me some room to work on all the electrical and engines that way.

I wonder if there is any value to someone in the fridge etc? It seems to work fine

Fingers crossed that the mechanics check out fine....that would this project on hold for while!! I still am in the service department of a Ford store here in Nanaimo so I get great pricing on batteries etc and I am old enough and "old school" school enough that all the starters and alternators will be taken apart and rebuilt by myself. As for carbs..I've rebuilt hundreds since I got my ticket in the late 70"s

It the marine stuff that'll kill me in pricing. Put an anchor on a 99 cent cup and put it in a marine store and it goes for $9.99!! Or so it seems!

I'll figure out who is the folks to deal with as far as seats, thru hull fittings etc etc

Any tips there?

Again..thanks for the really sound advice

Rob

hard top under a tower with rocket launchers!!

A friend has a fridge in his boat and he loves it. Beer is always cold and the bait stays in the freezer.

POD all the way ! Get rid of those twin inboards !

Have a great reno, bet you'll have a dandy in the end .

HT

POD all the way ! Get rid of those twin inboards !

Have a great reno, bet you'll have a dandy in the end .

HT

okay..that's the second reference to converting to POD and out boards.....being as it's been 15 years since my last salt water boast.I'm outa the loop about POD etc.

Other than draining my bank account..what's the advantage?

I can't do anything but the basics this year...I just want to get out there with a fishin rod!! I"m raising a 10 year old grandaughter by myself and she loves fishing! But money is not something I'm rollin in! Better second class boat that first class beach I figure!!

I honestly think your better off with the inboards if they run good and have been maintained. Twins are great your always getting home! Pod conversion if using newer power would be about 25 grand??

well I did a bit of searching on the forum and found some info on pod conversions..very interesting but if it were to happen it would be a couple years down the road

First the basics and go from there......unless there was alot more value in my two used i/o that I would anticipate. I can't see them being worth enough to get me close to a used outboard and POD set up

Back