Just For the Halibut Derby

SerengetiGuide

Just curious, but is it cancelled this year? I would hope that most sportfishermen would realize that since we are complaining about the halibut situation it may not be the best idea to have a all halibut derby where hundreds of halibut are killed.... may not be the best PR idea in my opinion. Just thinking this may not be the best year to have it...

Haly derb isn't cancelled this year. trust me you get more haly in your rig over the year than the whole derby brings in .90% percent of the people who are in the derb would be out there anyways.Remember this isn't a conservation issue. imo

Serengetiguide:

I agree the halibut derby and other large salmon derbies should be stopped.there is far to much impact on the broodstock without the big ones there will be far less little ones! Now this will **** off the usuall chest beaters ,i'm sure they will find someother way to acheive they're bragging rights!

Serengetiguide:

I agree the halibut derby and other large salmon derbies should be stopped.there is far to much impact on the broodstock without the big ones there will be far less little ones! Now this will **** off the usuall chest beaters ,i'm sure they will find someother way to acheive they're bragging rights!

I have to agree with you Sammy, after all the effort the coalition has made to save our
right to fish , we as sports fishermen would look pretty bad in the public eye.
A greedy lot out to kill the biggest fish for prize money. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
BOTH wrong!!!!!! it is our canadian right to fish...you should never feel quilty about KILLING what is rightfully yours. if you feel that way then dont fish at all.....
Do you think a commie fisherman is going to let any of his fish go I hardly doubt it!!!!! the bigger the fish the better for him then he can load up the LBS faster which in turn saves him money. go down to any government dock when they come in from 1 day of fishing then you will see how big and many they take dont need to remind you 88% for them 12%.

What I would like to see though is moneys raised should go to the coalition fund for the funding of the fight not to a charity, I know that would suck to where it has gone normanlly but we need the money for the fight more now than ever.

Wolf

BOTH wrong!!!!!! it is our canadian right to fish...you should never feel quilty about KILLING what is rightfully yours. if you feel that way then dont fish at all.....
Do you think a commie fisherman is going to let any of his fish go I hardly doubt it!!!!! the bigger the fish the better for him then he can load up the LBS faster which in turn saves him money. go down to any government dock when they come in from 1 day of fishing then you will see how big and many they take dont need to remind you 88% for them 12%.

Our "right" to fish won't be very good if there are no fish left to fish? Just because one particular user group fishes a certain way does that mean you should be the same way? All I am trying to say is while we all fight for "OUR" piece of the pie, the pie is getting smaller and smaller.......
We should learn to put our petty BS aside and work together to ensure there will be these resources for future generations?

My opinion...........

Cheers

It's time to man up and quit whinning!

Compare this and see the truth of why you are missing the point ...

Just for the Halibut Derby runs with an annual catch of about 5,000 lbs + or - for 200 rods over two days on the water. That is 400 hook days. The derby donates $6,000 to $9,000 annually. All the fish are eaten. And that comes out of the Canada's catchable 12% sport TAC, no conservation issue. That is all achieved with no consideration of all the fun, comradery and quality time those hali anglers had in the derby and all the happy family hali meals that get served. WTF is wrong with that? Sport fishing even in derbies is an integral part of what we Canadians love to do. And so a big fish wins the top prize, why make that an issue.

Compare that to the local commercial fisherman who takes halibut from the Juan de Fuca/southern Georgia Strait. The same waters as the derby. I think I heard he has about 20,000 lbs + quota - yes one person takes more out of the strait than sport fishers do in 4 or 5 months (without him leasing more). He sets long lines for a day at a time with 4 or 5 skates of 500 to 700 baited hooks in just one set. Yes, that's just one trip. i.e. 1 set = approx 2,000 - 3,500 hook days. It comes out of Canada's catchable 88% (6,500,000 lbs - repeat six and a half MILLION pounds) commercial TAC. He takes any halibut greater than 32 cms, the bigger the better (monsters yield more money for less work) and then sells them for financial gain. And the bycatch? No donation of $6,000 to $9,000 either. No social benefit. The public get nothing from that fishery except indigestion at the fish store having to pay $35.00 per kilo for fresh fillets. Which is in fact a price inflated by non-fishing quota holders holding the dwindling fishing fleet to randsom.

If you want to let all big fish you catch go that's your choice guys. Nothing wrong with promoting catch and release either where true conservation concerns exist. But let the angling public choose when, where and which hali to take legally within Canada's sustainable catchable limit!

Please quit being apologist. This ain't about optics (killing any fish for FN FSC, commercially or even for you to feed your family is not pretty picture). You should see the blood and guts from huge halis coming off the back of a commercial boat if you want optics. This sport fishers' fight is all about demanding Canadians get fair access to halibut plain and simple. Don't get fooled into a conservation discussion either, that’s a red herring. Be a proud sport fisher, write letters to politicians, complain to your MPs, get out and demand government give you fair access to Canada's halibut. The sport fishery is by far the best use of the resource - economically and socially! Sport fishers only need a small fraction more of Canada’s TAC to protect all sport halibut fishing in BC.

Heads Up says let the derby run as always!

Sorry twinwinds but your post shows you have zero grasp of the issue.

The IPHC has been the Canada/USA organization for over 80 years that takes care of the health of the halibut resource for the future. You should go to the IPHC website and read up.

I don't know how we arrived at this absurd discussion. If you were to actually look at the facts you would see that our area 2b quota has increased in 2011 over last year's. So what's up with all that "conservation" talk, he? Biomass is healthy and in our area increasing so why again should we not hold the Hali Derby? While I commend you for trying to be responsible with our resources please think about where it is appropriate. Not to say that you can't quit hali fishing voluntarily or release them all again but please do not try to make anyone feel guilty who rightfully wants to enjoy our resource to the full extent it can safely bear - and that is to take what we are allowed within the Canadian TAC.

In terms of other species derbies I can only say that most enhancement and restoration programs would be pretty much non-existent without the funds raised in derbies. Unless you actually come through with a fundraiser that can substitute for them please leave them alone because in the end they do much more good than harm to the stocks.

Think about the view the general public have of us as a group...
letters posted on line to newspaper's ,MP's ,minister's, mla's complaining that we want our fair share then we turn around and promote a kill fishery derby for the biggest halibut ???
We understand the issue with the 88/12 split , but you won't get much sympathy from most people who have to buy their fish in the grocery store.
If we can make just a little progress getting the Gov't and general public onside with our issues as sport fisher's, let's try and keep it that way.

That's just my opinion, agree or disagree but that does not make it a "WRONG "one.

If public optics or guilt are a concern then simply double the entry fee and donate all the extra revenues to a good cause. I don't fish this derby, or most others but so long as the proceeds after expenses go to enhancement or another good cause i don't have a problem. Most people won't donate on their own so if it takes a competition to make them open their wallets, so be it.

Think about the view the general public have of us as a group...
letters posted on line to newspaper's ,MP's ,minister's, mla's complaining that we want our fair share then we turn around and promote a kill fishery derby for the biggest halibut ???
We understand the issue with the 88/12 split , but you won't get much sympathy from most people who have to buy their fish in the grocery store.
If we can make just a little progress getting the Gov't and general public onside with our issues as sport fisher's, let's try and keep it that way.

That's just my opinion, agree or disagree but that does not make it a "WRONG "one.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Whether guys on here like to admit it or not, public support will determine which way the ball rolls in issues like this or any other where politicians are involved.

If you looked in the Important Meetings, Derbys and SFBC forum you would have seen this posting from last week.

The 15th Annual Just for the Halibut Derby will be held on May 14th and 15th. The tides will be very strong in the morning so take that into consideration when making your plans. Good luck to all. For more info contact Island Outfitters. 250-475-4969 or www.fishingvictoria.com

Good Post Heads Up . derby catches accounted for in our 12%

IN 2009 I saw DFO in their almighty power make Port Alberni Canal for the sporty 1 chinook over 77cm and 1 under Due to conservation. Then at warm river temperatures, and low water levels in late August that year. Jimmy P with the approval of DFO, had seiners netting EVERYTHING at the river mouth.. Yup !! your fish that was TOO big for your sport fish quota was taken by the commercial fleet.. they did not have 1 over/under restriction.
The logic.. ??
No one needs to be a rocket scientist to figure that out!

( I did not fish the canal for chinook 2010 so cannot comment there)

A lot of people choose the Derby weekend to go and catch a Halibut. They are going to go fish anyway so may as well try and win some prize money and contribute to the derby. Remember this is not a conservation issue. David, if you think, so maybe you better rethink what you do for your part time income. Maybe you should get into a new business. I just cancelled my Feb. 1st trip. You don't give a rats butt because you don't count on it to pay your mortgage. Do you ever think about all the eggs you kill in those big hali's and springs you bragg about.

x2 Bod and i just had to cancell a few myself,crappy feeling for sure. You guys have to remember it's not a conservation issue but to each there own.

I expected some backlash from this, but nothing I can't take. And brag? Only reason I even posted about the 64lbser on here is due to Cuba Libre called me out on it. Bragging is a business I got out of actually. And to imply you know about my or my families financials is actually ridiculous.

The thing is, public opinion is what will drive future decisions on halibut, as well as salmon, in the future. It doesn't look good, plain and simple. While some of you may say you could careless how it looks, in the future it may begin to become more clear that it is something you should care about. I'm just voicing an opinion, not gonna cry bloody murder should the derby continue, just throwing in a point of view that is an important aspect to think of.

And that REALLY sucks that there are cancellations because of this BS...I agree its NOT a conservation issue. But the commercials and government can easily spin that to the public so they get their support...all I'm saying...keep that in back of mind.

Back