Jolly Roger & Skull and Cross Bones

adrianna3

Ok, I was told this story today: Under Maritime Laws, ( not sure which country or maybe international), that it is illegal to fly a Jolly Roger or Skull and Crossbones flag on your boat. Because of international piracy laws, you can be fined or detained.

I know most marine supply stores sell the flags and I have one on my boat. I'm not worried about the consequences, I'm just curious as to whether there's any truth to the story. I know maritime laws are very old, dating back hundreds of years. There must be some historians or history buffs out there that might have some info.

Dave

I wouldn't test the law by flying that off my boat while transiting through Somali waters ;)

You can find many instances of flying the skull and crossbones and not being pirates. I seem to remeber the british submarine HMCS Conqueror that sank the the Brazilian battleship Belgrano during the Falklands war flew the flag upon their return home. And the Hillstrand brothers on Deadliest Catch fly it as well.

I wouldn't test the law by flying that off my boat while transiting through Somali waters ;)

Who be the pirates there matey?:rolleyes:

SGT1014_1.jpg

i was caught fishing once wearing a eyepatch with a parrot on my shoulder.lucky for me he was a nice cop so he let me off with a warning.

Some interesting Jolly Roger history ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolly_Roger

nothing about it being illegal ... I don't think there's rules about having to fly your country's flag while pleasure boating in Canadian waters. Maybe if you were in a big ship in int'l waters it would be a different story.

Its the keg of rum in yer belly the cops are most keen on.

Back