Johnson 35hp?

It's the sequence of how these 6 nipples on the crank case are connected with the primer line I'm struggling with.

Attachments

• PXL_20230621_012615261.jpg
    PXL_20230621_012615261.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 26
It's the sequence of how these 6 nipples on the crank case are connected with the primer line I'm struggling with.
Pretty sure those are oil recirc hose barbs. On the 90 degree angle. I might have an engine on a pallet somewhere. It's possible. I can check tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure these ones are the primer

PXL_20230621_012615261(1).png

Last edited:
Thanks much appreciated! - Been on a couple of Johnson Forums and seems the manual for this engine doesn't even show how everything is connected there. Primer pump feed was definitely Teed to the bottom no right angle nipple and then upwards so that makes sense.

You could technically just block off the oil recirc lines. Would not make or break anything. These had really terrible oil injection components and were usually bypassed. On the recirc, typically to be functional, they need check valves. Otherwise the fuel in a carbureted 2 stroke won't get blown into the cylinder properly because the air pressure will bleed to the next cylinder. It works but not my idea of how it should work

Last edited:
So would I be safe to plumb the three fuel nipples in series off the primer feed and then plumb the three oil recirc nipples together teed off the middle one to cap them off?

I'm talking just cap the off right at the little hose barbs. Use the primer though in series. I'll see if I have one of those powerheads and take a quick peek at it. Possibility 50 percent. Might have gone for scrap

Thanks.This is where I got to so far. Got the 3/32 fuel line and Ts from Lordco. Ts look exactly the same as the existing but were $6 each not the $16 the dealer wanted.

Attachments

• PXL_20230622_040905097.jpg
    PXL_20230622_040905097.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 20
Those primer solenoids are nice. Inject fuel right behind the reeds. Instant choke

In the past I have inserted screws into the snubbed off lines with zip ties as clamps but you could use anything really as long as it's closed off and clamped with at least a tight zip tie

In the past I have inserted screws into the snubbed off lines with zip ties as clamps but you could use anything really as long as it's closed off and clamped with at least a tight zip tie
Thanks! Should I be zip tying the fuel lines onto those nipples as well?

Technecally no if the barb is aggressive enough. If the hose material expands and the barbs are sharp edged then I don't see then coming apart.

In fitting land they are called barbs not nipples. Even though most of us like one more than the other. Still called barbs lol

Seem to have have got as far with it as I'm going to get. Starts first crank cold in the morning and will run for a minute or two nicely and then cut out and won't start again. Did a compression test cold with all three plugs out and got 138, 128 and 132 across the three cylinders. Sounds like this is in the OK range? Got it booked into A and E marine to get checked out but it's a few weeks out. Anyone else to recommend in the Comox Valley or nearby for a Johnson?
Thanks
Nick

Might need the recirc lines. It might be pooling in the Reed cages. If it is, it will flood itself at idle after a long idle time

Without having to draw pictures and explain this. Here is a quick YouTube demonstration that's actually pretty well done. Kinda explains how it works. Need to make sure those hose barbs are indeed the right ones for the recirc to work properly

Last edited:
Back