Jigs for Tuna Fishing

Hi Guy's

I have been watching some videos on Youtube about jigging for Tuna, It looks like something I would like to try this year. Have any of you done it? How successful was it? What kind of jigs do you use and where can I get some?

thanks CPM
Washington and Oregon guys do well on the big hammer plastic jigs.
I'd imagine the 80 gram colt sniper would do some damage or the gomame jigs would do well as I've caught Yellowfin, skipjack and yellowtail on them.

if you roll up onto some busting tuna you can probably throw just about anything at them. had a friend get a few good bites offshore from winter harbour throwing jigs at them.... on a pretty small reel too. lots of fun

Yeah when the tuna are on the boil it doesn't matter. Any spoon will work too: teaspoon, dessert spoon, table spoon, serving spoon.

I’ve done a fair amount of jigging for tuna off Tofino. Skinny blue and chrome jigs are what I like. Had very little response from casting to jumpers.
I drive the boat right onto the jumpers and hide the boat in the Champagne water created by the reverse prop.
Drop the jigs quickly through the champagne and let them fall as fast as posable up to about 50 feet. If it stops SET THE HOOK hard and hold on because they pull as hard as a hot 50 lb Hali every time.
I’ve also had success with rubber swim tails and dead anchovies on a small hook but if there are blue sharks around it isn’t worth the effort. The sharks stay off the lead jigs.

it’s super fun but there has to be a lot of jumpers to make it remotely productive.

I’d love to try a cast fly but I afraid of loosing the fly line once I’m into the 20 lb braid backing. I only have 8 wt rods and lines which leaves a fly angler completely under gunned.

Back