jigging in nanaimo

K

korsch49

Hi just wondering if anybody has any tips for jigging around nanaimo. Only 15 and cant afford to buy downriggers just yet becuase I just bought my first boat and motor so im out of cash. I was thinking of just jigging buzz bombs off of snake island? Any tips are appreciated.

I would try the green can bouy just outside the bay.There is a trench in there and has proved productive in the past.The trench runs from the green can bouy to the channel marker near shack island

So should i keep my jig just off the bottom or let it drift??
Thanks for the help.

Buzz bombing used to be my preferred choice of fishing, but then that was probably 15 years ago or so. NE tip of Five Fingers, couldn't keep them off, but then that was before the seals moved in. Never had much luck around Snake Island. Another good place was off Neck Point, lots of guys fished off shore from there and were very productive. Why not put a 12 to 16 oz weight on, troll slow and see what happens. Good luck and be safe.

One option you have is you could try trolling a deep six... I don't know how deep people fish around nanaimo but I think depending on the deep six it can dive to like 90 feet. Also if I were you i'd just keep my eye on the buy and sell (www.bstonline.com)and the buy sell trade forum on this site. You can usually find downriggers especially manual ones for a fraction of what they cost in the stores, but also remember that you need to mount them, and the scotty mounts depending what you need can be pricey.

Thanks for all the help guys.Going to go out tonight and try my luck. Just bought a deep six hopefully i get lucky;)

Sorry korsch, I just thought you wanted help with the area. If it were me, i would drift jig, no anchor. I guess if you're going for Winter Springs, I'm guessing they are kind of deep. I don't know because I don't target them. How deep do you figure you have to go to be into fish? I think it would be kind of tough to jig in anything deeper than 100 feet of water. It's hard to get down because of the tides and wind. However, if you have to go deep, I would go with a 15 lb test and a mac deep. Also, tie on a swivel about 3 feet up from the terminal gear because 15 lb test should be good enough as long as the line doesn't get twisted. Otherwise, even 30 lb test is no good.

I would try fishing about 10-20 feet off the bottom. But like I said, I've never targeted them.

Anyhow, good luck. :)

Back