Jack Brooks Hatchery clipping weekend

Wondering when the Coho clipping at the hatchery is being planned for this year, want to try to make it again .

Cheers
Greg

hey fray...no luck this year - they sent them out in a hurry because of the water temps so it was already done deal when I asked (dont' believe they were clipped). Going to be an ugly year regardless - will be surprised if we get any surviving this year from shear water levels.

It was a combination of temps and the lack of water in Rocky creek really early this year. We had to get them out in a hurry.
PL, we only do a few coho every year for a gauge at the Demamiel weir when they return.

It was a combination of temps and the lack of water in Rocky creek really early this year. We had to get them out in a hurry.
PL, we only do a few coho every year for a gauge at the Demamiel weir when they return.
Well, in the years I have helped organize, I think we have clipped in the realm of 40 or 50k, so that isn't just a 'few'....as I said thou, I see little chance for this years stock regardless.

I was more or less saying that we never do all. In the years when clipped numbers are that high there are more fish to release. We only had just over 100k coho this year because of the high water that made it difficult to get the brood.
The warm temps through the winter made for a expedited grow, so while we released early the size wasn't bad. The chums did take a big hit last fall because of the high water and the out migration shows it. The in-river springs probably were better off than the dogs and the coho would be less affected too. Its not all doom and gloom man

Salmon Dam issue

As I understand it, this was very predictable. Years back a small dam was built on DeMamiel Creek to hold sufficient water to be released slowly over the hot summer months to protect small salmon in the system and support the local Sooke volunteer hatchery’s efforts. Before the dam was built I understand that some rescue attempts in hot summer months were made with small nets to capture out of evaporating hot pools and place the small salmon in buckets and transport them downstream to slightly deeper, slightly cooler water in desperate attempts to save a few. So with a little support from DFO (back in the days when they actually thought spending a little more of their huge budget on salmon was a worthwhile use of our tax dollars and a huge amount of community involvement, volunteer effort including many anglers, donations and fund raising, the small dam to save the salmon was built and was an immediate success accomplishing its purpose brilliantly. The salmon were happy and more importantly alive, The community and all the volunteers were happy and proud of what they had accomplished and all was good for many years. Both the general community and local First Nations had more salmon available to catch and feed their families and support their marina’s and other businesses and the tourist and local economies were blessed.

http://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/128686888.html?mobile=true

Then two unrelated things happened:

First, a small earthen dam elsewhere in the province failed causing some damage and flooding some farmland. This resulted in senior governments and DFO going into overtime as to who would be responsible if the dam were to fail and the bureaucrats went into full chicken little mode - what if the dam breaks –what if the dam breaks followed shortly thereafter by jumping into full cover their butt mode. The obvious solution was an engineering study as a first step but that would have cost $30,000. to $50,000 and then fund whatever upgrades the Dam would need to fulfill its purpose, if any. I suspect, however, that the bureaucrates were none too interested in proposing new expenditures to the Harper Government of the day as they looked around at the empty desks and decided it would not be career enhancing. They became obsessed with ripping out that dam as fast as possible and came up with some pathetic rationalizations and excuses for doing so, truly absolute BS and they were told what the result would be.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/dam-removal-could-end-salmon-run-critics-say-1.6265

http://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/171204111.html?mobile=true

2nd, the full force of Climate change and drought hit on south VI and we have the situation we have now, low water flow, high water temperatures and local Pacific Salmon once again in crisis and at serious risk.

http://bcgov03.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=9042807690964463b268dfd91949d65b

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/very-dry-drought-rating-for-island-reservoir-cushions-victoria-1.2266369

This crap needs to stop. What happened here was a crime. We need to be more watchful and more involved and not let politicians and bureaucrats destroy our salmon, our fishery and our coastal economy.

What is the solution? ---- quickly do the studies they should have done then, both engineering and water flow and then negotiate, design and build a safe dam sufficient for the need. This would of course require reallocating some of their two Billion dollar budget and actually spend a little more of it on Pacific Salmon.

Last edited:
Back