Itroll

sir-vivor

Ok, heard from the Trollmaster guys now let's here from the ITROLL owners, what you think about your ITROLLS, eg ; reliability, serviceability, etc , as it pertains to THROTTLE CONTROLL only on your engines (especially kickers)
Thanks Screenshot_20210909-180248_Chrome.jpg

I’ve installed 3 of them and it’s been a breeze each time. I have hunt mode as I thought it would be an asset for kokanee fishing around the interior but I was wrong. Any wind and it totally screws up your settings. I wish he would have designed it a little bit differently but its an option that you don’t need to spend money on if you don’t want to. I’ve had mine on my boat for 2 years and I love it. Never had a problem. I can dial it in to .1 of a percentage which means exact throttle control when dealing with picky fish. Unit itself is sturdy and waterproof.
Would buy again
Would recommend

@BCROB has one as well. pretty sure his report will be similar to mine.

where does one find more info? sick of running to the back to throttle up when someone has a fish on and is losing the fight

@sir-vivor Not wanting to derail your thread here at all - is there a reason why you’re not considering an AP for your kicker? Something like the Garmin Reactor 40 May give you both the steering and throttle control at the same time. Just curious to see why you’re not finding an AP solution feasible for solo fishing.

@sir-vivor Not wanting to derail your thread here at all - is there a reason why you’re not considering an AP for your kicker? Something like the Garmin Reactor 40 May give you both the steering and throttle control at the same time. Just curious to see why you’re not finding an AP solution feasible for solo fishing.
Have intellesteer and very satisfied with it for the steering, so I heard about trollmaster from a buddy who highly recommended it and from another pal who likes itroll forv just throttle control. after researching these two apps , their in my price range and just wanted to find out what experience the group has with them. I'm sure there are more options and maybe you or someone else could open a thread to discuss them , which I would be interested in but for now I'm satisfied with just exploring the two I've selected . Also, your Garmin is 3k and the trollmaster is $700 and itroll around $600.
I'm not a Lamborghini guy, just a Dodge Ram kinda guy on a beer budget lol

Have intellesteer and very satisfied with it for the steering, so I heard about trollmaster from a buddy who highly recommended it and from another pal who likes itroll forv just throttle control. after researching these two apps , their in my price range and just wanted to find out what experience the group has with them. I'm sure there are more options and maybe you or someone else could open a thread to discuss them , which I would be interested in but for now I'm satisfied with just exploring the two I've selected . Also, your Garmin is 3k and the trollmaster is $700 and itroll around $600.
I'm not a Lamborghini guy, just a Dodge Ram kinda guy on a beer budget lol
Think makes sense. I’ve bought the Garmin AP unit for my kicker after the advice of some members of this board:

I am a newb when it comes to autopilots or the kicker steering solutions so I’m just learning by reading these threads. I’m still not 100% sold on the suitability of the Garmin unit for my needs and that’s why it’s still sitting in my garage.

I only have the EZ steer tiebar link to the main so in my case, this is more of a fresh investment in a new setup than augmenting the existing steering solution. I’m yet to install and use the autopilot so I obviously can’t comment on its performance, maintenance or vendor support but in my view, you might want to give the AP option some more though. I hear you on the price difference but if you’re spending more time fishing solo and want to spend less time fixing things, the AP may pay off after a couple of seasons. This is just another intangible cost that you want to monetize for your analysis.

I can see some benefits for this option like having one technology to manage your steering and throttle systems, easier maintenance (assuming less parts and slicker technology) and integration with your electronics. Yes, you’d possibly need to ditch your Intellisterr but that might be a worthwhile move.

I can talk on the AP and itroll. I installed a lowrance system on my boat last spring. Full autopilot hooked up to the main motor and kicker with a tiebar. I have the ability to have my itroll remote in 2 different places depending on the weather. When the weather is ****, I have it next to the steering wheel. When it’s nice, I move it to the back of the cabin as I spend all my time out back. I use the wireless remote around my neck to steer and I blip the throttle up or down when I tack one way or the other depending on current or boats. The one feature I love is the ability to just hit the Max button and it goes full throttle. I’ve enticed a few fish to bite that way. Also helps to turn into the wind faster. I figured if I was gonna be spending the money on an AP system, I might as well get one that can control everything and not just the kicker. I had the itroll already as it was the first thing I did to the boat when I got it.

Had one for several years now. Forget about the fancy add-on software that hunts and changes the speed. It's useless. Direction, wind and tide screws that all up. I just sit at the helm and dial it up and down to my needs. Works fabulous and have had no issues, ever. Bought a spare servo with the new unit and never had to replace the old one.

Do guys use these on tiller motors only? What if you already have cable throttle?

Had one for several years now. Forget about the fancy add-on software that hunts and changes the speed. It's useless. Direction, wind and tide screws that all up. I just sit at the helm and dial it up and down to my needs. Works fabulous and have had no issues, ever. Bought a spare servo with the new unit and never had to replace the old one.
What if u dont have a spare servo and yours goes can u still use the tiller handle, infect can you use the tiller handle at anytime with the servo hooked up

I have had one on my kicker for 5 years without any issue. I have autopilot but that is totally separate thing.

It has a chain or wire on the servo that independently attaches pulling the throttle from the idle position not interfering with and other operation.

The new ones have an idle down button that can be pushed to retreve fish if need be.

Very well built unit. Ask to have a disconnect to easily remove from view on my head unit using a ram suction cup mount.

Yes. You can still use the throttle handle.
You can order servos on eBay for a couple of bucks each. They are used in various remote control models and toys. I always have a couple of spares in the boat. Had one go bad once when I forgot to shut the unit down at the end of the day. When I spoke to iTroll when they first began operations, they were using the same servos as Trollmaster.

Back