ISO 12217-1 Stability for Small Commercial Vessels

Fishing Guide

Cheers All,

Under the new TC Regulations, my vessel needs to have a Stability Test done. TC will not allow it to be done using the SIMPLIFIED PROCESS as my vessel was constructed after May 2005.

I may use either the Stability 6 or ISO 12217-1 standards. To purchase the ISO 12217-1 forms require that they are purchased from a company in USA as TC has not purchased distribution rights for this form that they are wishing used. The cost of those forms are $287.00 US plus shipping.

Does anyone have a copy of the ISO 12217-1 Stabilty Forms (all 10 pages) that they could either copy or sell. TC does not care about the source as they only wish the completed information to ensure the vessel conforms to the new regulations.

I have talked to one company who does Stability Testing and to complete this paperwork he is charging $900.00 plus tax and, if he has to travel, then that will be on top of it to the tune of almost double.

Anyone else have a Small Commercial Vessel (read GUIDE) (i.e., less than 8 metres)that is new (2005 or newer) and figured out a work around regarding this new Stability requirement?

Thank you in advance...

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Thats strange how tc treats almost every case differently. My boat is a 1989 hull and the simplified test is all they tell me they require for my blue decal, (plus all the other crap). They also told me that the blue decal is not even manditory at this point.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Cheers All,

Just received an email from the owner of Silver Streak Boats who "offered" with the stability tests - for $5,000.00.

Talked to Transport Canada and EagleCraft Boasts (also on Vancouver Island) is helping their clients out for FREE. Hmmmm

T'is the Season to wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas and both a Happy AND PROPSEROUS NEW YEAR!

Sincerely,

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

Manufacturer's should have something as this is all calculated or should be when the vessel is in the the drawing stage, to figure if it will float upright or not has enough reserve bouyancy ect.

We are fortunate enough to be able to do the simplified method (2003 Grady). I have completed my inspection and sent that off to TC - no issues and very helpful!! We now have the self help kit from TC to do the simplified method. Has anyone in the Port Alberni area done it who minds helping out...or perhaps there are a few other guys who want to get together to do our testing as a group?

Searun

th_067.jpg

quote:Originally posted by quicksilver11

Manufacturer's should have something as this is all calculated or should be when the vessel is in the the drawing stage, to figure if it will float upright or not has enough reserve bouyancy ect.

I couldnt agree more. Why should I be doing stability tests on my Pursuit, or even a Grady... I can see it being required on a home built or ultra modified unit.. I mean this is rediculous.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Cheers All,

A good friend of mine has a charter company with a fabulous 25' Grady White Dolphin. He keeps this boat mint - the type of maintenance that most of us just dream about. The boat needs the stability tests - the same as every commercial boat in British Columbia. He contacted Grady White who informed him that they do not have the information that he requires but that they would fly out a representative from Grady to perform the calculations AT HIS COST! Needless to say he politely declined.

The point is that there are a HUGE amount of commercial boats that are similiar in nature with NO modifications. In Canada there are over 50,000 commercial boats with over 18,000 of them being in British Columbia. Almost the entire number will be done ONE BY ONE at the cost of the owner rather than the company doing it once for every model and thereby saving millions. Not to mention that by having the manufacturer performing the tests there will be some consistency compared to the tests now being done. I have heard from many who have done it correctly but also a fair amount who are confuzzled by the process and 'believe' they did it correctly. Not a whole lot of confidence in those types of precedures or results.

My 22' Silver Streak needs these same stability tests. I have been quoted a low of $900.00 to a high of $5,000.00 (high quote was by Silver Streak to certify their own boat) and if you multiply these numbers you can see this is going to be quite a significant chunk of change by the time it's all over.

Strikes me as insane that TC would not set up a process where the manufacturer would be responsible to at least assist in the measurements to ensure accuracy and to minimize costs...both to the commercial operator as well as minimizing the sheer avalance of paperwork that this will dump on TC who have shown that they are already stretched beyond capacity.

Don't get me wrong...I am ALL for ensuring that the boats we run are safe for both US (it is my butt on the line) and our GUESTS but ... AGAIN ... the whole precedure was not thoroughly thought out before it was put into effect.

Merry Christmas 2 ALL!

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

I 've been through the yellow sticker program and also the current blue sticker program.
Although I found the past inspection process extrememly flawed, the new current blue process is quite simple.
Ive got a 1992 hull and had no trouble passing the simplified process and all other aspects of the SVIP process.
The problem that I can see is if your vessel is greater than 8m.
The rules change signifigantly and the process doesn't become as much as an easy process.

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/4726988?fr=yvmtf

I 've been through the yellow sticker program and also the current blue sticker program.
Although I found the past inspection process extrememly flawed, the new current blue process is quite simple.
Ive got a 1992 hull and had no trouble passing the simplified process and all other aspects of the SVIP process.
The problem that I can see is if your vessel is greater than 8m.
The rules change signifigantly and the process doesn't become as much as an easy process.

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/4726988?fr=yvmtf

I couldnt agree more. Why should I be doing stability tests on my Pursuit, or even a Grady... I can see it being required on a home built or ultra modified unit.. I mean this is rediculous.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

We all seem to be guilty of allowing TC to pick and choose how they interpret and choose to apply the rules. They're public servants and a public resource with a specific mandate, to help the marine industry, inform the public and protect the marine environment.

Whilst the interpretation and application of the Canada Shipping Act 2001, / TC Standards is often not as clear, appropriate or as universally applied and policed across the various TC Marine Branch offices in the country - as we all might wish and hope for. In my experience to write well informed questions and request written reference to the relevant technical subject matter in question, is how and when the system works best. (Both players now unemotionally singing from the same hymn sheet.)

Regrettably I have to report it is also been my experience that the service performance of TC is very spotty and not always as stellar as we might hope for in their immediate response and follow-up to telephone and e-mail inquiries. They don't always like having their feet held to the fire and being asked to provide a acceptable and enforceable course of action. I've never really found out the official Transport Canada Marine Branch complaints (on service levels) procedure either.

I believe if they're telling you they require a ISO 12217-1 stability test, they have an obligation to provide you the specific details and full parameters of exactly what that test involves.

Canada is a fully paid up member to all of these UN and International marine governing bodies and treaties. Consequently we already own the copyright and content of ISO 12217-1 and it should be available - free of charge - through any public library, the TC Marine Branch website and any other official or voluntary marine regulatory organisation in the country.

If it isn't, then that's something the elected government of the day need to fix to the taxpaying public's complete satisfaction. A branch of federal government can't deny you access to public regulatory information, which we've all already collectively paid for.

In the event anyone has a boat they're trying to get certified with the Blue Decal program, and in need of stability or the full package (C# application taken care of, stab test and Blue Decal guidance and paperwork completion- let me know). I will be travelling the island over the next few months helping out people, including with the ISO 12217-1 test described here. In Hardy/McNeill next week and then Sooke/Renfrew area the week after. Alberni/Tofino/Ukee after that. Vancouver and Fraser Valley 3rd week of May...etc. Based out of C. River. Have worked with quite a few guides and lodges over the past year, discounts for more than one boat booked at same time, further discounts for SFI members. Anyway, if you have general questions-send those along. I don't mind helping clarify things for people if they are wondering about requirements.

Contact info in my signature. Cheers,

Chris

Cheers All,

Just received an email from the owner of Silver Streak Boats who "offered" with the stability tests - for $5,000.00.

Talked to Transport Canada and EagleCraft Boasts (also on Vancouver Island) is helping their clients out for FREE. Hmmmm

T'is the Season to wish each and every one of you a very Merry Christmas and both a Happy AND PROPSEROUS NEW YEAR!

Sincerely,

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

Back