Island Outfitters Halibut Derby or not

fogged in

We have fished the Island Outfitters Halibut Derby every year since it started.
Received a message announcing they are still having it.
What do you guys think.
Does it makes sense to have a Halibut Derby with a size restriction?

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, everyone in canada should fish for halibut and record it and submit it so we go way over and show we need more tac!!!

simple plan i think. the four licenses
in my house will be filled.

plus the keep on fishn attitude remains and we dont ruin the economy in small towns.

I'm in. First time entrant. I think the slot increases my chances. I've caught a couple near the top of the slot.

It will be interesting to see how much a 126 cm hali actually weighs and how much variance in weight there might be between fish of the same length.Do halibut increase in length after they are bonked or actually become a little longer when the they are layed out on the dock?It is going to be tough when it is really close to 126 cm.Don't whack em on the head to hard or hang em on a scale to long.They will stretch!!!
kronic

a few of mine this season may have had the tail bitten of by that dam orca;0

not being a trophy halibut fisher... i can imagine the frustration. heading to a hole and hooking up with a 120 lb monster, only to fight with it, bring it to the top and waste valuable derby time.

My bet is there will be a 3 way tie...

How crazy do you guys think it will be out there? Not planning on entering dont know the spots well enough. Was planning on this weekend for weeks but didnt realize it was a derby weekend. Bit of a **** show? Drifting between anchored boats dosnt sound like to much fun.

I always fish the weekend of the derby, but I never enter it. The tides are always great that weekend. As for it being busy and crazy, I haven't found it to be any worse than any other good tide weekend. Guys always seem to anchor way too close to me whenever I am fishing. The big challenge that weekend will be getting a parking spot at any of the ramps!

We were going to go this morning,but forcast sounded the sh#%s.Tomorrow looks even worse. What a drag,man! Been
looking forward to this first trip of the season for months now.

Good Luck too all you fishing guys and girls.. Wish I could have made it this year, but had to work.
Hope the Hai's bite and weather not to wet.
Stay Safe....:eek:

Just looked out the window and the trees are blowing around pretty good. Happy I am not at deep water anchor off Victoria right now.

Back