Island deer rifle

If strictly for island deer... .243 is great. If it's one an all around gun for hunting all over B.C. you are after then .308 is a hard to beat caliber. Reduced-recoil/125gr. available for deer hunting, youth can use it easy enough with those rounds, and you can up to 180gr. for the big stuff. like an island elk LEH if you luck out on one of those. Ammo for .308 is relatively cheap compared to some other calibres and is for sale everywhere, always in stock.

A good summary to the discussion above.

I like the two 270 tho and the reaso I chose the 270 over the 243 is generaly it weights the same as a 243 for carrying in the bush so may as well have a bit more power. I will be upgrading from my savage stainless 116 to a tika t3 lite in the 270.

A good summary to the discussion above.

I like the two 270 tho and the reaso I chose the 270 over the 243 is generaly it weights the same as a 243 for carrying in the bush so may as well have a bit more power. I will be upgrading from my savage stainless 116 to a tika t3 lite in the 270.
And I you venture into other game it will work also. T3 stainless chambered in.277. Yum yum

Saw a real nice buck this morning , smeared all over hiway 19 near the coombs exit southbound lane, then had another one jump infront of me coming up the duke point hiway on my way home.. both decent 2 points ... damn i better get in the game.. have Monday Tuesday Wednesday off so will go back and have another look at the options

Last edited:
.270 will take down anything you may want Jeffy, check out a few, cycle the actions, shoulder them and find one that fits and you like,
I have the Browning X-bolt medallion very sweet action, buttery smooth and with a rotary magazine never a jamb or feed issue.
my hunting partner finally tossed his savages and bought the xbolt as he was always having feed issues with the savages.

was just looking at the savage arms axis 2 stainless package in 270... right around the pricepoint i want in at but i will have to wait till i can go in and shoulder and compare a few .. pretty much decided on the 270

was just looking at the savage arms axis 2 stainless package in 270... right around the pricepoint i want in at but i will have to wait till i can go in and shoulder and compare a few .. pretty much decided on the 270

With your permission I would like to derail this thread and now talk about scopes.
I use a bushel 4to12 doa scope on all my rifles(243'270 and 3006. ). With a range finder and the specific weight for each caliber 80' 130' and 150 I can shoot quickly out to 400 yards for the bullet drop is the same in each caliber with the standard weight. Rarely does this long range option happen for me with blacktail but it has a few times.

Each manufacturer seems to have a system similar to this.

What is the best scope for blacktails? Certainly a good low power is manditory.

I have the leupold VX3-I 4.5-14x40mm on the browning xbolt,
very nice unit, very bright and clear, each year before hunting season I head to the range and check the sighting and its never moved,
use to use the lower end bushnells and always seemed to need resighting.
it complements the browning nicely, only negative is I wished I had bought the CDS model.
now its going to cost me 240.00 to convert it to the CDS, but Im still undecided if I want it or not
the 270 is such a great shooter out to 300yards anyway and not sure if ill benefit from a CDS turret or not

Really enjoying this thread and by all means derail to scopes as it is an important as the rifle itself , was also looking at a package with a leopold scope , is it too much to ask for a decent rifle n scope combo for arround 1000$ ? Like i said in the start this will be my first deer rifle and i hopw for the best possible combo for the price range i set but the more i look the more i see that i can get pretty deep in the ole pocket for a decent setup, always thought savage arms made a decent rifle , are they not worthy? Dont have a ton of hunting season left so i would like to find a decent combo and get up the range and get it sighted in , i may not get a shot at a buck this year but would like to be ready if the oppurtunity presents itself .

The best part of the season it's just starting and does not end till it ends dec 10.

I have a 1949 Win Model 70 in 30.06 topped with a Leupold 6x and a Win 30.30 with a peep sight. As someone said earlier the 30.30 is a lot easier to handle in the thick stuff and with Hornady Leverevolution ammo is good for farther than I would want to shoot. This season the Model 70 has yet to come out of the safe.

Don't ignore older rifles in common calibres as you will shoot a lot to become confident with your rifle. Get good glass.

A 270 is a great choice. Don't know anyone whoever stopped at one rifle.

"The best part of the season it's just starting and does not end till it ends dec 10." x2 Birdsnest

Jeffy,
maybe check out gunnutz as well, you may find something in the exchange forum there

If I was to go down and buy a rifle today, I'd probably buy a X-bolt in 30-06 (it would be for everything) and top it with a Leupold 3-9 using leupold steel rings. Probably pushing $2000 but set for life. I'd skip the buck mark decal on my truck window though.

If I was to go down and buy a rifle today, I'd probably buy a X-bolt in 30-06 (it would be for everything) and top it with a Leupold 3-9 using leupold steel rings. Probably pushing $2000 but set for life. I'd skip the buck mark decal on my truck window though.
Haha you bet , im not going in 2k this crack but am looking for a out of the box straight shooter that is lite and stainless , the Savage Arms package is decent enough i believe for what i need ... correct me if Im wrong .. remington, most accurate out of the box... Weatherby .. hardest hitting flatest shooting ... Savage Arms .. cheapest with decent accuracy and wont break the bank ...

A good used one too as new is nice but like i said my old 06 is about 50 years old and in good shape sometimes you can find some steller estate sale guns and ill be honest in saying too the steel back then was awfully good.
best thing is to "find" a gun be it 06,270 or 308 just dont limit yourself to just one caliber those are the most easy ammo to find and ballistics are damn near all the same and all will shot a moose or a lil island deer. if and when your ready to buy one pm me as I have a friend who collects and sells alot.

Inst gun shopping FUN LOL

Next ill get you into reloading LOL you think picking a gun is confusing.....

Haha you bet , im not going in 2k this crack but am looking for a out of the box straight shooter that is lite and stainless , the Savage Arms package is decent enough i believe for what i need ... correct me if Im wrong .. remington, most accurate out of the box... Weatherby .. hardest hitting flatest shooting ... Savage Arms .. cheapest with decent accuracy and wont break the bank ...

I've probably had 20 Rem 700's, most shot well out of the box. Triggers are good and with a little work from a good smith can be made crisp and clean. Savage are actually known to be accurate out of the box, but are kind of clunky and ugly, but if that doesn't matter to you, go for it.
Weatherby being the flattest shooting? The Weatherby line of cartridges were some of the hottest, over bored cartridges going 20 years ago, but in todays world of super magnums and high BC bullets they've been knocked off that pedestal.
$2000 grand may seem like a lot, but I bet even with a Savage with good glass your not that far below. I not including the rem 783, savage axis and similar. Do it right the first time. Worst case, buy a decent gun/scope, look after it and you will be able to get a good chunk of your money back if you ever need to. Good firearms do seem to hold their value, unlike fishing rods.

Well i compared and i shopped and i shopped some more and compared some more .... i wanted lightweight .. wanted stainless .. wanted a decent scope...i wanted alot of under 1k ...i ended up purchasing a rifle today, it
Is not stainless.. but it is lightweight ...hope i did alright as i know i did not have a huge budget ...but after going to a few different places i endup back a cabela's to get the best bang for my buck.. so to speak...i was 950$ OTD with 2 boxes of ammo and a hardcase.. anyways opinions may vary but hopefully i can keep a tight group, . Ruger American with a Vortec crossfire 2 scope chambered in 270... dont think i can go to far wrong for 750$ for this combo.. this gun is light , has a smooth bolt action i was looking for , 4 round rotary magazine , hopefully it can prove to be a decent rifle .. time to get it up the range and get it dialed in, it was bore sighted at the store but i also have a friend with one... fingers crossed i made an okay decision...all sales are final..

Back