Is trailering a boat from the north side of Victoria to Port Hardy and motoring to Rivers Inlet in one day realistic

in the past we have got ice at Boatland in Campbell River. They shovel it into your cooler. It is chip ice not salt ice. After hours there may still be a young guy there to help.

Cove Fisheries has salt ice in Port Hardy. Call them to make sure someone is around before you go. Like Kaelc said, you should not park your rig by the marina. You need to pay at the pay station then take it up the hill and park in long term parking with the trailer uncoupled from the truck and display your parking payment. Then walk back to the boat.

We tie up at Quarterdeck, you should reserve for a 30’ boat. The office closes early. Like 4pm?

Do you care about launching in Port Hardy? I find Port McNeill much easier and nicer to deal with. You can get secure parking from the hardware store, see link below. They rent spots in their fenced back lot for cheap. It's a 2 minute walk from the boat ramp. All the services are close to the launch. It's a bit more boat running, but easy water. I don't bother launching in Hardy anymore.

For ice, we went here last summer. They dump chipped salt ice straight into the boat using the auger and chute. We filled coolers and the built in boxes on a 30' boat no problem. Can't remember what it cost, maybe $30-50?

Reserve a slip if you can. I've found the marinas can often be full that time of year.
Not attached to Hardy at all. I just want to clear up where the salt water Ice is augured on board. Is it on the water where you dropped the pin. The extra run on the water doesn't bother me and I was told by a local that it easy to fish around McNeill if the weather is bad.
Thank very much for your advise.

Not attached to Hardy at all. I just want to clear up where the salt water Ice is augured on board. Is it on the water where you dropped the pin. The extra run on the water doesn't bother me and I was told by a local that it easy to fish around McNeill if the weather is bad.
Thank very much for your advise.
Ya, it's a commercial ice facility, the boat is in the water. We ran the boat up to the small float under the auger. Buddy went up and talked to someone in the office who came out and ran the auger. Two of us stayed in the boat and managed the hose filling coolers and fish wells directly in the boat. You end up with ice everywhere, but it's cheap, high quality ice and you don't have to manually carry it anywhere. Just fill everything in place.

I'm with you on that, we have a 10 day window to work in but 3 guys on a boat for ten days is excessive and I'm trying to figure out how many days of fishing is enough. We plan on Canning and Smoking some of our fresh catch at home in the ten day time frame. Three guys on a small boat for 10 days = Mutiny. Where are the two friends that you went fishing with? I don't know I guess they must have went for a walk! LMAO
About the 10 days and crew mutiny. There aren't a lot of places to get off the boat between Hardy and Rivers. Duncanby Lodge used to let outsiders dock and eat in the dining room, but they stopped a few years ago. As far as I know, that leaves Dawsons Landing store with extensive docks and a boardwalk a few hundred meters to the DFO office/house. Unless any other lodges will allow what Duncanby used to. Failing that, its a long haul to Shearwater for a burger and beer. And a few beaches where you can walk - not too many in inlet country.

There were nice fish being caught, felt like under a dozen but could have been a few more, but people felt it was slow. We got one small one at the head but we had too short of leaders, were only fishing 4-5 rods and were too deep most of the time and my last excuse we only fished for 1.5 days at the head. I'd invest in 6-7 rods and learn from a guide your first time or bring someone experienced. A SIONYX or FLIR would be nice to be able to have lines down for first light as most seem to be caught just after nautical twighlight ;) We ran with a handheld spotlight and it was sketchy.
Not to derail. How's the fishing in Rivers these days? I'm considering this trip for 2025. Just curious what the experience has been like. Always see posts of monsters, but I've also heard it can be spotty fishing. What's the best time of year?

I can’t even stand myself for 10 days.
Yeah and fishing the inlet can be demoralizing. We had the only fish on from our 3 boats, with one boat fishing from before sunrise to after sunset. The other two boats survived by being high and drunk. I love seeing other boats catch fish but when a trophy is being drug in the water beside you and you haven't had a real hit in 8+ hours of fishing it just sits differently. We cheered a couple boats that were dialled and released multiple.

We got off the boat for dinner and only 2 of us slept on the boat and we still almost had a mutiny deciding if we should fish a 3rd morning at the head or not. I wanted to fish another morning but it might have ruined a friendship. Since we fished on the way home and it felt like the odds were better getting fish on our way home since we would have more time with lines down.

Bring a lawn chair for the bow rods and great rain gear, good to put the moody kid up there part of the day!

Make sure all the boys are on the same page of what you are going for and how much time to put in, and also what sort of weather Forcast is worth pulling the plug for. Excited for you Keith. Trip of a lifetime.

The head is not the place for lights out fishing. We usually fish 3 days on our way home from an extended North coast trip. You will average 3 bites a day if you know what you are doing, right depths, know your timing. I've got quite a few in the mid 40's and one 58. Kind of over it now. Rather hammer 18 to 23 pounders than fish all day for 2 bites. I run 4 lines max.

Yeah and fishing the inlet can be demoralizing. We had the only fish on from our 3 boats, with one boat fishing from before sunrise to after sunset. The other two boats survived by being high and drunk. I love seeing other boats catch fish but when a trophy is being drug in the water beside you and you haven't had a real hit in 8+ hours of fishing it just sits differently. We cheered a couple boats that were dialled and released multiple.

We got off the boat for dinner and only 2 of us slept on the boat and we still almost had a mutiny deciding if we should fish a 3rd morning at the head or not. I wanted to fish another morning but it might have ruined a friendship. Since we fished on the way home and it felt like the odds were better getting fish on our way home since we would have more time with lines down.

Bring a lawn chair for the bow rods and great rain gear, good to put the moody kid up there part of the day!

Make sure all the boys are on the same page of what you are going for and how much time to put in, and also what sort of weather Forcast is worth pulling the plug for. Excited for you Keith. Trip of a lifetime.
Now that's sound advice. There is no substitute for experience. I've been telling my friends that "I don't want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg". Your post really gives me some real life experience to lean on. Thank You. This whole thread was started because I was trying to figure out how to minimize the days on the boat and still have a great fishing trip.

One more question. On a trip like this that has a day of driving on both ends. What is the right number of days on the boat. Realizing that crappy weather will shorten any trip. One day of monsoon in a cabin playing crib is enough. One other factor for us is we are all retired and healthy so we are hoping to make this an annual trip. I'm hoping to keep it fun so everybody wants to go next year. If we get skunked this year next year will be better. We are hoping to get a room for one night at Dawsons but that's up in the air as we are new and can't book till mid month.

Now that's sound advice. There is no substitute for experience. I've been telling my friends that "I don't want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg". Your post really gives me some real life experience to lean on. Thank You. This whole thread was started because I was trying to figure out how to minimize the days on the boat and still have a great fishing trip.

One more question. On a trip like this that has a day of driving on both ends. What is the right number of days on the boat. Realizing that crappy weather will shorten any trip. One day of monsoon in a cabin playing crib is enough. One other factor for us is we are all retired and healthy so we are hoping to make this an annual trip. I'm hoping to keep it fun so everybody wants to go next year. If we get skunked this year next year will be better. We are hoping to get a room for one night at Dawsons but that's up in the air as we are new and can't book till mid month.
Man if you’re going that far why don’t you go some place you’re assured fish? All kinds of fish. Like at Nootka Sound. Lots of protected water. Places to drop the pick or moor overnight. Spectacular scenery.

Not to derail. How's the fishing in Rivers these days? I'm considering this trip for 2025. Just curious what the experience has been like. Always see posts of monsters, but I've also heard it can be spotty fishing. What's the best time of year?
Not a derail at all. Very interested in advise on timing (what time off year), technique and areas. Obviously we're trying to catch a Giant Spring and we realize that's a little like winning a Lotto but it's a possibility. It seems that the majority of really Big Salmon are caught cut plugging before 09:00. Our trip is planned to start July 30th which I think may be a week early but I have a due I have to got to on the 8th or august and I have to have the fish Canned, Smoked and Frozen before the afternoon of the 7th or I will be summarily be neutered. Has anyone used live herring instead of a cut plug?

Last edited:
Not a derail at all. Very interested in advise on timing (what time off year), technique and areas. Obviously we're trying to catch a Giant Spring and we realize that's a little like winning a Lotto but it can be done. It seems that the majority of really Big Salmon are caught cut plugging before 09:00
I cruise and fish with my wife and daughter - the daughter less often as she's into her 20's and needs to work. Our typical trip is 12-14 days away from home, with a travel day on each end. Our trip is broken up by having a shore break every few days -- at Sullivan Bay or Sointula for showers, fuel, ice and a meal, or back to Port MacNeill for the same plus a run to Hardy Buoys to process fish.

Rivers Inlet is a worthy destination but 10 days may be a bit long, especially just fishing at the head and with Dawson's as your main option for a break from each other. You may need to fish around Hardy or MacNeill a day or two if the weather's not great for crossing -- and your opportunities for getting off the boat are better. There's lots of exploring and fishing around the islands at the mouth of Rivers, and you could also plan to poke into Smith or the area south of Cape Caution. 10 days is a long time if the weather or fishing are poor.

I would do three mornings of fishing the head to try and get a big one hooked, Dawsons landing day in the middle or last evening. If I had a good fuel budget, gas isn't cheap up there, in the afternoons I would fish different spots near the Draney inlet, Duncanby and halibut towards Calvert. Getting out for a walk at Cranston point would be fun if the weathers calm and you have a dingy. I haven't but a big yacht anchored there and was trolling beside us with their aluminum tender. We got into a couple of double headers there, fishing with dummy flashers.

I'd then either tack 2 days afterwards to explore north to Hakai and Shearwater, definitely worth trying to connect with Ken Lowen and stay at his floating lodge in Shearwater, he loves to BS and shares great fishing info. If weather is dicey head down south, explore the Broughtons grab a 5 star dinner or lunch at Nimmo bay lodge. Lots of guys know both of the areas better than me.

10 days is perfect, you have the flexibility, enjoy it.

Crossing Cape Caution and getting to River's is the hardest part of your trip. From there it is an hour to Hakai, another hour to Shearwater. The fish you may be early for in River's may be in Hakai, Cultus or Milbanke Sound then. Why not consider a couple days out of Sheawater, fish Milbanke and Idol Point. Restock and shower up at Shearwater, hit Cultus for a day, then Hakai for a day. Regroup at Dawson's and do a couple days in River's. Hit Bremmer point on the way back to Hardy for a tide change. Be flexible and if you find a spot that is lights out, be resilient and change your plans. Make it interesting and get off the boat a few times. The nature up that way is spectacular! That's my plan this summer, heck I might even see you out there. One other piece of advice, keep the tank full, more than once I heard "got no gas" because the barge was late.

The head is not the place for lights out fishing. We usually fish 3 days on our way home from an extended North coast trip. You will average 3 bites a day if you know what you are doing, right depths, know your timing. I've got quite a few in the mid 40's and one 58. Kind of over it now. Rather hammer 18 to 23 pounders than fish all day for 2 bites. I run 4 lines max.
yeah…doesn’t sound appealing to me. i’m with you. i’d rather more action with smaller fish

When we go for two weeks, we fish just enough to eat for the first week to 10 days, then plan five days of fishing hard at the end (two days for salmon, two for bottom fish, one extra). Don't really want to have fish on ice for longer than that and possession limits puts a cap on the retention.

Not a derail at all. Very interested in advise on timing (what time off year), technique and areas. Obviously we're trying to catch a Giant Spring and we realize that's a little like winning a Lotto but it's a possibility. It seems that the majority of really Big Salmon are caught cut plugging before 09:00. Our trip is planned to start July 30th which I think may be a week early but I have a due I have to got to on the 8th or august and I have to have the fish Canned, Smoked and Frozen before the afternoon of the 7th or I will be summarily be neutered. Has anyone used live herring instead of a cut plug?
Processing options will be limited until you get home as you need to transport the fish relatively whole (filleted with tails on) until your residence, or are you dropping the fish off at the processor at the end of your trip - St. Jeans or Hardy Buoys?

Given your dates, I would plan on the following. This assumes your main goal is to target big fish at the head of the inlet, but you could mix it up depending on your priorities. A day trip to the Hakai Institute to walk on the beaches is worthwhile if the weather permits (you'll need a dinghy):

July 30: Depart Victoria, get ice, splash boat in Port Hardy or Port MacNeil. As others have suggested, I'd go for MacNeil - better marinas, services, food, cheaper gas, friendlier locals and there is more sheltered water available if you need to spend a day or two fishing locally because of the weather. The extra hour in the morning on the run up goes fast.

July 31: Plan to cross Cape Caution if weather permits, drop the lines and catch dinner. Fish local if weather is bad.

Aug 1: Explore the area and drop lines to break up the day and get a feel for the area.

Aug 2: Fish the head.

Aug 3: Fish the head

Aug 4: Fish the head in the morning and then check out beaches Calvert Island mid morning - afternoon

Aug 5: Fish the head or try someplace different (Hakai Pass, Calvert Island, Fitzhough Sound)

Aug 6: Fish mouth of Rivers Inlet to put some fish in the boat. Depending on weather might need to return this day.

Aug 7: Return to Hardy / MacNeil, pull boat, south and drop off fish if time.

Aug 8: Return home

Be prepared to be flexible given the weather. You could be waiting a few days to cross. Aim for light winds and flood tide. NW winds, especially offshore and an ebb tide makes for a long and rough crossing. Radar is a must that time of year and lots of whales from MacNeil to Fitzhough Sound to watch out for. If you want to stay at Dawsons for a night, I'd aim for the middle of the trip to break things up.

As other mentioned, fishing at the head is not for everyone. Cool to experience and it might be just your thing, but if you get tired of it there is lots of excellent fishing relatively close by. You might be a week or two before primetime for the head of the inlet, but there will be fish showing up in early August.

Back