Is it possible to insure old boats?

Maxpri

I was just wondering if it was possible to insure old boats that are around the age of 1980s, because I see a lot of older boats on here and I was wondering if they were insured.

I was just wondering if it was possible to insure old boats that are around the age of 1980s, because I see a lot of older boats on here and I was wondering if they were insured.
My 1984 Hourston 23 has been insured since before I bought it in 2001. They require a survey every 5 years. The premium is similar to what I pay for my truck.

The insurance paid for itself when the composite leg developed a crack and they insisted on buying me a new one.

Mine is a 1980 and I have it insured for the purchase price. I recently had a survey done which tripled the current market value. I will be using this survey when I renew and don't forsee any issues, but in saying that, my boat is in great shape for its year.

Most insurance companies require a survey for any boat that is older than 15 years. Survey required every 5 years-usually around 300 to 350 depending on boat size.

Mine was built in 2002 and I just renewed insurance. All they are asking for are pics when it is out of the water this season to be eligible for the next renewal. I'm guessing they will want a survey in 2022.

My 1984 Hourston 23 has been insured since before I bought it in 2001. They require a survey every 5 years. The premium is similar to what I pay for my truck.

The insurance paid for itself when the composite leg developed a crack and they insisted on buying me a new one.
Yeah that’s kinda what I thought but I couldn’t find anyone who would survey a boat that old...

David wood in Surrey did my 1980.

My 1993 Sea Ray was an easy survey and no problem for insurance. As others have said you need a current survey and every 5 years thereafter.

My father in-law was telling me that many of the ole boys at his yacht club are having issues getting insurance on the older boats especially the woodies. They can get them surveyed but a lot of insurance companies are refusing policies without even looking at the survey. I have used Excalibur in the past and they were reasonably priced

Speaking to a surveyor the other day about this very thing. Beacon Underwriting won’t insure boats over 50 years old and wooden boats of any age are proving very difficult to insure. The cost of wood repairs is simply too high.

Haggerty insurance insured older boats and classic cars

I paid $600 for $40,000 value and $2 million liability

Haggerty insurance insured older boats and classic cars

I paid $600 for $40,000 value and $2 million liability

Hmm....do they insure in Canada? Im paying $1307 with around $70,000 declared value. I'm almost certain its underwritten by Lloyd's which surprised me as I thought they had exited the marine business. Time to get the Google foo rolling haha

Hmm....do they insure in Canada? Im paying $1307 with around $70,000 declared value. I'm almost certain its underwritten by Lloyd's which surprised me as I thought they had exited the marine business. Time to get the Google foo rolling haha

Ontario

Back