iphone gps

rook 2

does anyone use the iphone or i pad for their gps?i just bought an iphone and downloaded the navionics app and i used it today,,not bad,,bud does anyone know if it has sonar??i am not that good on computers or cell phones,,us old men have some problems with those items,,if it does get sonar could anyone please tell me how,,thankx

Rook 2, no your iphone will not have sonar. However the navionics works well on it compared to a GPS unit, just not as good.............BB

Pretty sure that the GPS for the Navioncs is based on cell phone reception, not GPS satellites as I don't think iPhones have GPS recievers in them. If this is true, the GPS/Navioncs app won't work where there is no cell phone coverage.

Actually if you get the iphone/ipad with cellular, they have a gps built in and don't require cell coverage. If you have wifi only, they don't include a gps and try to pick info off closest signals. If you want to use the gps get the ones with cellular. When fishing out of Winter Harbour last year, my iphone tracked fine! I feel it is okay for backup.
Ted

yes,i used my iphone on saturday and sunday out fishing,,works great,,but not as good as my one in the boat,,but good for backup,thanks guys

I was up in Hakai Pass last summer and our Navionics chip stopped working. We found out that we reached the end of it's coverage. My buddy pulls out his iPhone and sparks up the Navionics app and we navigated to Bella Bella with no cell coverage. It worked just fine in a pinch.

Ive found the iphone sonar feature works best if attached to a six ft gangion with a 2-3 lb weight to avoid iphone blowback when trolling. Pics to follow.

Just duct tape that phone onto the lead and let her go. Very accurate if one can count and multiply.

"we know that "heaving the lead" was a standard procedure as a ship sailed into harbor. A sailor (the "leadsman") would throw the sounding lead as far forward as he could, and when the ship came up to where the lead had landed he would count the knots or markings on the lead line and call out the depth of the water to the pilot."

Actually, a team of engineers could design an adapter for the transducer connection and then write an App that would give a depth reading. With the right government funding it would be finished just a few years after the line on the lead sounder wore out.

Back