Intelli steer and panther

CCB

My 4rth panther in 6 years kicked the bucket again these are aboslute prieces of crap. Has anybody used the intelli steer one for there kicker or any other brand that has lasted them a long time. Te company is great but the product sucks as they sent me a new one each time even after warranty but I have given up on this product. I do not want another even if free. My last one lasted me all but 2 seasons as i coated the motor box so water cooulnt get in . it worked a week ago but when I stripped down to rewire and put it back together no go , niether the wired or wireless works just clicks. I might just go to a hydrolic steering wheel.

Cheers

thanks I was looking at all these things I am just ordering on ez steer ..I am going inboard to kicker...everyone i talk to has had problems... damn outboard to outboard was damn easy connect a rod your done.

I thought these remote systems look awesome until I started researching...

Hey Tony, I just installed the type r intellisteer on the solowey. Problem free so far and I am happy with the unit. It has a large heavy duty motor which I mounted in the dog house center of the transom and ran the cable through the port side and into the kicker. Nice clean set up. The motor is a little noisy but the dog house muffles the sound, it may also have a slower response than the panther. I feel way more confident in this system though and love the wireless remote. Has more of a commercial/industrial feel to it. One problem is keeping the cable greased where it goes though the tilt tube if the kicker. I would recommend this system but I only have a months use on it. The unit is also able to hook into a auto pilot with a bolt on upgrade to the motor.

Hey Tony, I just installed the type r intellisteer on the solowey. Problem free so far and I am happy with the unit. It has a large heavy duty motor which I mounted in the dog house center of the transom and ran the cable through the port side and into the kicker. Nice clean set up. The motor is a little noisy but the dog house muffles the sound, it may also have a slower response than the panther. I feel way more confident in this system though and love the wireless remote. Has more of a commercial/industrial feel to it. One problem is keeping the cable greased where it goes though the tilt tube if the kicker. I would recommend this system but I only have a months use on it. The unit is also able to hook into a auto pilot with a bolt on upgrade to the motor.

Thanks guys,

I pulled the panther off the boat and half a liter of water came out I would post pictures but don't know how. Motor completey rusted. It actually worked for a second today. It also only lasted 2 seasons as I coated it, the ones before siezed on me after one season. If I put in a new motor it should work fine it's like $200 for a new motor. I don't know if I would rather spent 200 on that or buy a whole new unit. How much was the intelli steer.

Cheers

I was on the fence with the tr1 also, but it's pricey more like 3000 I thought by the time it's installed. I have also heard they have trouble in current and wind as well as issues are common. The intelli is a pretty simple set up and cost around 800 the relay is wired for auto pilot systems but you will need to purchase something for the motor which I can't recall exactly what it was, something to do with clutching? I was investigating but I haven't followed through as I would have to purchase a auto system as well as I don't have that system. If your tech savvy the tr 1 could be less problematic from what I hear. The intelli Steer is a solid heavy duty motor though and the mount is comes with allows for several ways to mount motor. It comes standard with a 6 foot cable but any length his available. I think every couple years the cable will need replacing

I see with the Intellisteer for hydraulic steering you can steer your main outboard and then just use a tie bar in between. I like that and for $800.00 as long as it holds up for a few years.... it might be a nice way to go. Cordless too.

I was on the fence with the tr1 also, but it's pricey more like 3000 I thought by the time it's installed. I have also heard they have trouble in current and wind as well as issues are common. The intelli is a pretty simple set up and cost around 800 the relay is wired for auto pilot systems but you will need to purchase something for the motor which I can't recall exactly what it was, something to do with clutching? I was investigating but I haven't followed through as I would have to purchase a auto system as well as I don't have that system. If your tech savvy the tr 1 could be less problematic from what I hear. The intelli Steer is a solid heavy duty motor though and the mount is comes with allows for several ways to mount motor. It comes standard with a 6 foot cable but any length his available. I think every couple years the cable will need replacing

Dave, where did you end up buying your Intellisteer?

Western marine has all the intellisteer products. Enquire about the auto pilot, the type r is sold as autopilot ready, the relay is wired for a auto but the motor requires an added upgraded clutch I believe. I was looking into the auto after I installed mine, but never followed through with it.

Western marine has all the intellisteer products. Enquire about the auto pilot, the type r is sold as autopilot ready, the relay is wired for a auto but the motor requires an added upgraded clutch I believe. I was looking into the auto after I installed mine, but never followed through with it.

Thanks, I think I'm going to skip the auto pilot. The feedback I've been getting back is that the auto pilots don't work real well at low speed. Not sure if that's true or not. At this point thinking I can buy this sell my TR1 and have something left over to go towards upgrading my electronics. Started thinking just go something simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back