Integrated Fisheries management Plan- Prawns

Bastards! Always using imaginary numbers.

Actually I found this laughable:

Fishing days spent on shellfish harvesting had increased by 30% in 2005 compared to 2000, and
recreational catch of prawns and shrimp had increased by 29% overall. The increased
recreational catch was attributed wholly to BC residents whose catch increased by 40%
Yes it's all bull because if the catch had increased then sales of gear must have risen as well-which is in no way the case-sales are flat and have been for years.

Fishing days spent on shellfish harvesting had increased by 30% in 2005 compared to 2000, and recreational catch of prawns and shrimp had increased by 29% overall. The increased recreational catch was attributed wholly to BC residents whose catch increased by 40%

It would be laughable were this kind of shell game weren't the exact same data manipulations employed by The Dino in the case of every single thing the recreational sector fishes. Complete and utter BS! :mad:

Nog

same old crap....in area 14 they had their BEST year ever in 2009....they even left it open for an extra 3 weeks just to make sure they tooped up....they lobbied DFO to bring 17 more boats to participate.....of course DFO ok'd it.....well what happened in 2010.....the new and improved fleet raced out and dropped their gear all over area 14 ( this is a huge area salmon point just south of campbell river to Nanoose) within two or three days they all moved out .....guess why.....no prawns left......those who have been out prawning for the last couple of months could not help but notice the large DFO fixed wing aircraft flying repeated over all the favorite rec prawning areas, counting the rec floats, and of course each one of those sets had limits (laughable) ......the rec prawning has gone from excellent to average to poor in this area following the vacuum job done by the commercial prawners......and now DFO is out there gathering numbers to support the commercial push for quota.....halibut ring a bell.....may want to check the DFO site for commercial prawn lobbyists...... whats the cost for all these flights and where is that data....is it available and to who.....

I was looking through some old related posts from a year or so back and came across this one from the Governor which seems to me to be a particularly brilliant piece of analysis and rather poignant to this discussion. Hope you don’t mind me reposting your comments Gov. The federal government and DFO sold us out on halibut and it looks like they are working hard to give away the rest of the fisheries.

By Governor on 01-13-2010
“When a commercial considers what will happen to his personal financial interests if that particular species goes to a percentage share (ITQ), the thought process is most likely this:

1. I must prove that I have caught and still catch as much of the resource as possible so when shares are 'gifted' I get maximum share (greed - this has led to massive increases in landed catch of species like crab and prawns in the past decade).

2. I must keep the sport sector to the lowest possible percentage so it doesn't diminish my personal share. (money - the exact situation on halibut has occured - the original position from commercial halibut fishermen was the sport sector should NEVER be allowed to exceed 5% of Canada's TAC).

Greed and money motivate commercial interests.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation”

Yes it's all bull because if the catch had increased then sales of gear must have risen as well-which is in no way the case-sales are flat and have been for years.
was talking to the guy at nikka and bought a ace line, he said they sold out at the boat show plus another ten to bring it up to 50 sold for the weekend

was talking to the guy at nikka and bought a ace line, he said they sold out at the boat show plus another ten to bring it up to 50 sold for the weekend
Yes there's always a spike in sales @ boat show time especially when there hasn't been a show in 2 years-we all love new shiny things.

As to believing what a salesperson told you I have no comment.

Back