Installing Autopilot

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey guy's

I have a few questions for those of you running autopilot. I am installing the Lowrance autopilot

1) The instructions do not show if pump orientation is important, do the connections need to be pointed up?
2) The wiring instructions show installing a engage/disengage button. For boats with two stations can two buttons be wired one to each station?

Thanks

CPM

I called a lowrance rep when installing mine for a bleeding question. I asked him about orientation he said no it didn’t matter. I had read about problems with vertical installs but the video on lowrances page shows a vertical install.
I went horizontal on mine.

I am very close to my helm in height only slightly lower and had some issues bleeding. Ended up having to remove my pump and bleed it lower down then reinstall.
Yes you can add a second button, just splice into the wiring it comes with in parallel.

I also added some chunks of rubber inbetween my pump and it’s mounting sruaface. Seems to quiet it down a lot more then a buddies. Can hardly hear mine activate.

The install videos make the bleeding and orientation process very easy.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering the orientation question! I am trying to fit it under the dash of my seaport but space is tight. I might need to order longer hoses and put in the storage area under the driver seat.

In terms of the second button would the second switch go in series? So that either switch interrupts the circuit?

Good tip on the rubber mounting will do that for sure

Thanks for answering the orientation question! I am trying to fit it under the dash of my seaport but space is tight. I might need to order longer hoses and put in the storage area under the driver seat.

In terms of the second button would the second switch go in series? So that either switch interrupts the circuit?

I guess it depends how it is designed. If it is always off and you turn it on or always on and you turn it off. I would think it is always off until turned on. If you go in series both switches would have to be closed for it to be on. I would think you want it in parallel so either switch will turn it on.

Last edited:

I have the exact same autopilot system. What you want for the second station is a momentary switch wired in parallel.

Instead of the second on off button, just go ahead and buy the bluetooth remote, its invaluable in my opinion, engage, disengage, steer, adjust course while dealing with a fish, downrigger etc.

Pump orientation is important, at least with with my simrad pump. Recommended is horizontal. It can be mounted vertically (like on a bulkhead) but the 12V motor should be on top of the hydraulic pump section. Otherwise there is more pressure on the seal for the motor shaft and it can leak and possibly damage the electric motor as well.

So I have been working on my install and have determined that I need to install a tee in the line as I have no room to make bend radius behind the steering wheel pump. Looking online to replace my 8ft hoses with 6ft hoses and then buying new 2ft hoses is going to cost a small fortune 250 bucks for the 2ft hoses is crazy. Please tell me you smart guys have figured out how to splice hose or have new ones made without paying the crazy dometic prices.

So I have been working on my install and have determined that I need to install a tee in the line as I have no room to make bend radius behind the steering wheel pump. Looking online to replace my 8ft hoses with 6ft hoses and then buying new 2ft hoses is going to cost a small fortune 250 bucks for the 2ft hoses is crazy. Please tell me you smart guys have figured out how to splice hose or have new ones made without paying the crazy dometic prices.
Most hydraulic shops can make you hoses for significantly less but it can be difficult for them to source the same ends as are on your seastar hoses. You may have to change some fittings to make it work. If you can easily remove the current lines from the boat a hydraulic shop should be able to cut and crimp new ends to match whatever tee fittings you need. I would suggest bringing in any fittings that you currently have and are easily removed from the boat for them to match. Don’t cut the hoses yourself until you are sure you have a fitting combination that will work… Good luck!

You want to put your tees in the back of the helm pump or put a 90 in then a tee. I took a couple pics when I was down at the boat, not super clear but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 2CDB7E13-1FC8-44F1-BA51-C9746D27FA9F.jpeg
    2CDB7E13-1FC8-44F1-BA51-C9746D27FA9F.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 848B8B49-A87E-4D96-BBC0-C052204427B9.jpeg
    848B8B49-A87E-4D96-BBC0-C052204427B9.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 59
Allan’s HoseNAll in Kelowna. My fittings were all messed up due to the verado and I was required to purchase an additional kit for a ton of money through Lowrance. Made all new lines and fittings for a fraction of the cost.

I do not. I only have these ones that came with the autopilot.

Attachments

• C2CB19CD-3A52-42FC-A6C2-E32F4ABE7E58.jpeg
    C2CB19CD-3A52-42FC-A6C2-E32F4ABE7E58.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 23
Back