Indian Candy

Daveroo

I just picked up a batch of Indian candy spring from last year's fishing trip to WCVI. I am not native to BC so Indian candy is a new thing to me. I know you can eat it as as, but I was wondering if people cook with it. If so any good recipes to share? I was also wondering if the salmon need to be refrigerated after opening. Thanks in advance.

You pretty much enjoy it as is. Ive never seen a recipe for it and yes I would refrigerate it after opening it

You pretty much enjoy it as is. Ive never seen a recipe for it and yes I would refrigerate it after opening it

Yup....I agree. I suppose you could chop it up and add on top of a salad or maybe if you got creative incorporate it into a pasta or stir fry?

A carbonara pasta, cutting down on the bacon and adding Candy?

I think if want to incorporate it will largely be using your creativity. I've always just let it stand alone and served up as part of a charcuterie plate.

Indian Candy Chowder. Wow. Just thought of it one day, it was unreal.
Use Cream of Shroom soup for the base, boil your vegies - carrots, potatos, celery, onions (or what have you), put in the soup. Chop & fry up some bacon, toss it in. Big gob of butter, pepper, then cubed Indian Candy. Simmer.

Indian Candy Chowder. Wow. Just thought of it one day, it was unreal.
Use Cream of Shroom soup for the base, boil your vegies - carrots, potatos, celery, onions (or what have you), put in the soup. Chop & fry up some bacon, toss it in. Big gob of butter, pepper, then cubed Indian Candy. Simmer.

Case in point.....be creative. ;)

Good one FW. I've always used it as sort of a flavour enhancer for clam or fish chowders. It's great in my Creamed frozen peas and Salmon on toast. Or as Pipps mentioned quite a few pasta dishes as well. Good Eatin.;) eman

I made a dip with some candy, a tiny bit on a sweet side but still very good. Through in food procesor brick of cream cheese, 1/3 c. sour cream, tsp mustard, splashes of worcestershire, black pepper, tsp dry dill or fresh is better 1/4 bunch, blend till smooth, add salmon how ever much you want, pulse. stir in chopped greens from two green onions, chill.

FW, that sounds good and I have everything in house. I'm going to try it out. I'm also going to follow Pips advice and be creative and try some different things out.

Make a batch of Baking Powder biscuit dough. Roll it out 3/8 inch thick in rectangular shape. Break up the fish(indian candy) and spread over rolled out dough.
Roll dough up like a jelly roll. Pinch the joint side to seal. Cut into 1 inch rounds lay flat side down on a baking sheet and bake according to biscuit recipe.
Heat a can of Mushroom soup using half the milk with more crumbled fish. Two or three biscuits on plate and pour some soup and fish mixture on. Enjoy.

Make a batch of Baking Powder biscuit dough. Roll it out 3/8 inch thick in rectangular shape. Break up the fish(indian candy) and spread over rolled out dough.
Roll dough up like a jelly roll. Pinch the joint side to seal. Cut into 1 inch rounds lay flat side down on a baking sheet and bake according to biscuit recipe.
Heat a can of Mushroom soup using half the milk with more crumbled fish. Two or three biscuits on plate and pour some soup and fish mixture on. Enjoy.
nailed it easy and unique I think my mom used to make creamed salmon when I was kid I haven't had it for years I have a finicky eater at home I think this will do just fine.

candied salmon.jpg

This is my wife's favorite way to eat it. Break off pieces and put them a good cracker with some cream cheese.

Back