In Response - By Bob Hooton

I was actually refering to the Sporty Fraser River closures while Gill nets line the River killing endagered Steelhead. How many Steelhead does anyone think are being caught be a Sporty.

again you are proving my point, why would people in alberni push for steelhead closures when all that will happen is they will likely shoot them self in the foot and watch first nations net, while they sit on the sidelines not fishing?

first nations have priority, they will be the first ones in the water and last ones out.

I guess that takes me right back to the original points I was making. This is a long road to go down, and requires a lot of work to build support and a business case. A lot of idealistic notions being tossed around, but frankly the only way change will happen is if people become engaged in meeting face to face to begin the process of working towards achievable objectives. Ranting on these forums ain't going to accomplish a thing.

I guess that takes me right back to the original points I was making. This is a long road to go down, and requires a lot of work to build support and a business case. A lot of idealistic notions being tossed around, but frankly the only way change will happen is if people become engaged in meeting face to face to begin the process of working towards achievable objectives. Ranting on these forums ain't going to accomplish a thing.
Who’s ranting on the forum? Some observers are just stating the obvious as has been also previously posted don’t rock the boat SH are done for anyway. The greater good for those higher up the food chain.
Different watershed but the road was not long for Sporties on the Fraser. The business case did not matter nor did the science we just got shut down period even though we basically had zero effect on endangered runs. The same is not the case for the Gill netters all across the river as they continue consultations.

Last edited:

look at the article below it ouch!

Its a article that shows a clear lack of knowledge on how the process works and for that matter how the SFAB works... so the question that I asked myself...What didnt they get?

look at the article below it ouch!

Our swamp is real and it’s deep. Too bad it can’t be flushed by a nice big tide.

Thanks WMY. That explains a lot. Politics not science just as I suspected.
August 17, 2016

There have been several new developments since we last updated you;

Fraser River Closures

As you are probably aware, DFO has made a particularly impactful decision with respect to the Fraser River and closed the system down to salmon fishing to protect the unexpectedly low return of Fraser River sockeye. There is no doubt that this measure will have a dramatic effect on those businesses that support anglers who would otherwise be fishing for chinook during this critically low sockeye run. It is a difficult decision yet conservation as the first objective and a precautionary approach is understandable. But, there are alternatives to consider for future situations, should they arise, where well defined changes to angling practices and locations could allow for other-than-sockeye salmon fishing to continue on the river and save any passing sockeye harmless. It is our understanding that all fisheries that have a potential to harm sockeye are now closed on the river, or will be closing very soon.We also believe that increased enforcement on the river at these critical times is essential, would raise awareness and reduce or eliminate any activities that could be detrimental to the stocks of concern. We are optimistic that dialogue with DFO about options can occur during the upcoming fall and winter.

Minister LeBlanc visits BCLast week the Minister of Fisheries, Dominic LeBlanc issued an update on the government’s response to the Cohen Commission. While there was relatively little “news” in his announcement, LeBlanc said that government was committed to hiring additional science staff in the Pacific Region and to maintaining the Wild Salmon Policy. While the new staff and resources are welcome, we are disappointed by the fact that LeBlanc did not take the opportunity to announce that the department would take tougher actions with respect to the net pen salmon farming industry.

We should also note that representatives of the SFI and the SFAB met with the Minister LeBlanc on his trip to the West Coast. It was cordial initial meeting with the new Minister where he commented on his early years visiting the west with his father, former Fisheries Minister, Romeo LeBlanc. He spoke about taking several fishing trips to the coast including a memorable outing at Dolphins resort in Campbell River where he and his father caught 36lb and 34lb chinook respectively and another where he landed a 60lb halibut on the decks of the Tanu on the central coast. Clearly some first-hand experience with BC sport fishing that few if any Ministers in recent history share!

In our meeting we outlined the economic context of the sport fishing industry for the Minister and discussed the Recreational Vision and the Vision Implementation Strategy, which details a number of objectives to improving and replacing support for recreational fisheries management by and with DFO. Minister LeBlanc was supportive of the idea to potentially add the program to an upcoming budget or to explore the idea of repealing the User Fee Act which may make it quicker and easier to acquire funding support for the programs proposed.

And, while the meeting was short, we also pointed to the need for improved catch monitoring efforts and the collaborative work that was occurring on that file.

On balance, it was a productive discussion and we hope it signals intent on the part of the Minister to move ahead on these important issues. Just re read the first post of this thread and it sure doesn’t look like things have changed much. Read post 1 thru 10 for a refresher.

Yes it is starting to meander. The subject matter is Steelhead. Leave the fish farm conversation to that never ending discussion in another thread.

this thread is getting weird
The previous post was the first post of the SFI update thread dated 2016 and post 1 thru 12 highlights how little has changed for the better for sporty and not any better for endangered runs either. Not really about fish farms although they are briefly mentioned.

Back