In prep for the new 200 , Helm

sir-vivor

Like I said the Sir-Vivor II is gonna finally put the Ocean Pro 200 to rest (it's a great engine , just 25 yrs old it's a bit long in the tooth) .
In prep , I'm thinking now of running 2 gauges, so the helm needs to be revamped.
Here is the clutter now, what do u guys suggest as a plate to mount the gauges into ?
Thanks and tight lines
Sir-Vivor II
PS: Going to be Merc or Suzuki (please let's not debate the engine...thanks)

Attachments

• 20210706_152752.jpg
    20210706_152752.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 76
Have you done any research on setting up a NMEA-2000 connection and mounting a larger screen on your dash to display the indicators? By no means I'm recommending it, just something that you may want to consider.

Hey congrats, no wrong decisions on the power. Are you actually able to get the one you want in a reasonable time frame? I'm being quoted some ridiculous etas...

Have you done any research on setting up a NMEA-2000 connection and mounting a larger screen on your dash to display the indicators? By no means I'm recommending it, just something that you may want to consider.
I have nemea-2000 , I have it tied into my HDS8 now , that's another reason why I want to set up a new configuration and looking for suggestions on material to use for a few gauges I want as stand alone. do u have any thoughts what would be a good material to mount other switches and guages
Tks

My buddy picked up a plexiglass acrylic sheet from a vendor in WA but I’m pretty sure you can find them locally as well. It looks shiny and nice, esp with a large 12” screen in the centre. I could ask for price and specs and let you know.

I redid my dash with a 1/4” thick black starboard type material. If you are going Suzuki they offer the c10 gauges . I have two and they have been fine but I’ve heard they can be problematic. I’ve seen some guys mount a Simrad go7 screen for a dedicated guage screen and it looked pretty good and probably higher quality than the c10 gauges. I think to do this you need a Suzuki interface cable and a cable that goes from the plug on the engine up to the dash. The interface cable is a few feet long and ties the cable from the engine to your nema network.

Run down to your local Rona or Home Debot and grab a half sheet of 1/4 black HDPE board, it’s relatively cheap by the half sheet. Use that as your new back plate. East stuff to work with and if you screw up just cut another one out and try again.

If you go with a new Merc and the fly by wire controls get the merc vessel view. All gauges packed into one 5” screen, it’s so nice. All the info you need on one screen, even a built in gps and base maps.

I redid my dash with a 1/4” thick black starboard type material. If you are going Suzuki they offer the c10 gauges . I have two and they have been fine but I’ve heard they can be problematic. I’ve seen some guys mount a Simrad go7 screen for a dedicated guage screen and it looked pretty good and probably higher quality than the c10 gauges. I think to do this you need a Suzuki interface cable and a cable that goes from the plug on the engine up to the dash. The interface cable is a few feet long and ties the cable from the engine to your nema network.
Thanks for the info, pretty limited on my helm, got a HDS8 and HDS5 , pretty well takes all the space I got but where did u get the 1/4 black Starboard material from
Tks

You got lots of room on the pic you posted if you had a mfd for your gauges the only thing that would take up real estate that would remain is your tabs and 10 little switches. Analog gauges and clusters are a thing of the past/obsolete and not nearly reliable as new technology.

You got lots of room on the pic you posted if you had a mfd for your gauges the only thing that would take up real estate that would remain is your tabs and 10 little switches. Analog gauges and clusters are a thing of the past/obsolete and not nearly reliable as new technology.
What's mfd ?

I redid my hewescraft one last week I didn't like the switch positioning and it was a melting pot of crap. I had a friend with a cnc cut a 1/8 aluminum plate from a cad file I made. Then I put a black vinyl on it, looks great. You could get one water jet cut for pretty cheap and it will be much better than you trying to hand cut it. Aluminum is nice because it stays stiff after you turn it to Swiss cheese unlike plastic. I still need to vinyl cut my switch labels.

Attachments

• PXL_20210629_062237071.jpg
    PXL_20210629_062237071.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 63
Multi function device
The mfd has really got my interest since I know squat about it, what would a guy require, is there a mercury / suzuki specific monitor or can I just tie it into my HDS8 HDS8 guages pg, how reliable is it ??

The mfd has really got my interest since I know squat about it, what would a guy require, is there a mercury / suzuki specific monitor or can I just tie it into my HDS8 HDS8 guages pg, how reliable is it ??
Yes you can tie engine info to your hds if you have a newer outboard. Mine have been reliable. I lost the info on one engine last time out and had to replace the interface cable. Took 10 mins and 130$ and I was back in business. I wouldn’t bother with gauges. Either tie engine to your current chartplotter or buy another one just for gauges.

Yes you can tie engine info to your hds if you have a newer outboard. Mine have been reliable. I lost the info on one engine last time out and had to replace the interface cable. Took 10 mins and 130$ and I was back in business. I wouldn’t bother with gauges. Either tie engine to your current chartplotter or buy another one just for gauges.
I'm planning on getting a new Merc 200HP, I have an existing NMEA2000, is there just one wiring harness to tie the new Merc into my Lowrance HDS8 , or is there several to be set up on the NMEA2000
I currently just have Fuel level and consumption set up on the NMEA2000 at present with my existing 1996 200HP Ocean Pro

Back