I'm a noob- need advice Stamp River and Stuart Channel

saltytrees

Hi there,
I relocated to Alberta many years ago while a teenager and my Saltwater fishing, and fishing in general has been sparse ever since.

I have a trip planned this summer for the beginning of August and have a couple of questions. I am camping at Stamp River Prov park for a night, and looking to try my luck, I think that might be an okay time for sockeye, am I correct? Wife and kids will be sleeping in the truck, so plan to walk down in the morning. I have read that there is no fishing allowed 500m from the falls on the lower side, so hoping there is a means of walking down the shore from the campground. Is that ridiculous? Also, do you only need a salt water license (and salmon stamp) for the lower side of the falls?

A very different scenario, after paying $70 this weekend for 2.2lbs of live spot prawns locally, I am thinking of trying my luck in the Stuart channel. I will be on Salt Spring around the same time, and thinking of taking my boat out there, I remember prawning there as a kid, though don't remember much about the how to and don't dos. It's a bit complicated reading closures and regulations for someone who has been out of the game for so long. From what I understand there is a seasonal closure in May in that area, and then there is pulse fishing after labour day. So I should be allowed to lay down some traps, if I am not mistaken, and if so, do I need to keep out of the way of any traffic? I'd like to stay closer to the Salt Spring side of the channel. But I don't know how deep, bait, etc.

Any advice appreciated :)

There is currently a commercial opening for prawns that has been going for over a month and the prawning isn't usually that hot again until the fall at the earliest.As far asa prawning in the channel,I don't put my traps in the narrow section because of the strong currents in there,but just to the opening on the Crofton/Chemainus side has produced for me when it's good.Try from 240-280 ft. with prawn pellets and cheap Carlyle Tuna catfood or similar brand.Like I said,the commies clean them up pretty good this time of year and it takes time for a new biomass to move in.Good luck!

There is currently a commercial opening for prawns that has been going for over a month and the prawning isn't usually that hot again until the fall at the earliest.As far asa prawning in the channel,I don't put my traps in the narrow section because of the strong currents in there,but just to the opening on the Crofton/Chemainus side has produced for me when it's good.Try from 240-280 ft. with prawn pellets and cheap Carlyle Tuna catfood or similar brand.Like I said,the commies clean them up pretty good this time of year and it takes time for a new biomass to move in.Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, will try it out for sure. A handful is like gold to us Albertans :)

... I am camping at Stamp River Prov park for a night, and looking to try my luck, I think that might be an okay time for sockeye, am I correct? Wife and kids will be sleeping in the truck, so plan to walk down in the morning. I have read that there is no fishing allowed 500m from the falls on the lower side, so hoping there is a means of walking down the shore from the campground. Is that ridiculous? Also, do you only need a salt water license (and salmon stamp) for the lower side of the falls?

That section of the Stamp River is NEVER open to retention of sockeye ever. The only piece of River that is open is WELL downstream at Seton Park.
Best be getting your mitts on the current regs and a map methinks.

Seton Park area does require a freshwater (non-tidal) License and a Salmon Stamp.

Nog

That section of the Stamp River is NEVER open to retention of sockeye ever. The only piece of River that is open is WELL downstream at Seton Park.
Best be getting your mitts on the current regs and a map methinks.

Seton Park area does require a freshwater (non-tidal) License and a Salmon Stamp.

Nog
Hi Nog,

This is from the Stamp River park website

"
Fishing
Fishing is allowed in Stamp River park, but is closed 200m above & 500m below Stamp Falls from June 15 to November 15. Boundary markers are located on trees along the river. Changes to the regulations occur regularly along this river, so all anglers should check the current regulations prior to fishing. Anyone fishing or angling in British Columbia must have an appropriate licence."

Perhaps you can see where I'm confused. Any help appreciated.

Hi Nog,

This is from the Stamp River park website

"
Fishing
Fishing is allowed in Stamp River park, but is closed 200m above & 500m below Stamp Falls from June 15 to November 15. Boundary markers are located on trees along the river. Changes to the regulations occur regularly along this river, so all anglers should check the current regulations prior to fishing. Anyone fishing or angling in British Columbia must have an appropriate licence."

Perhaps you can see where I'm confused. Any help appreciated.

I certainly would not take that as Gospel!
It actually takes a Federal Variation Order to open up any waters to salmon retention.
The ONLY one that if effective right now is Seton Park. Period.

A little busy this afternoon, but I'll have a look and post the relevant information once I dig it up a little later on.

Cheers,
Nog

I've spent the last 2 hours looking for anything on a sockeye closure on the Stamp and I have come up dry. I see something about a chinook and coho closure at the end of August. I have found some info about people fishing at the slide pool trail at the south end of the park.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/stamp_rv/StampRiver.pdf?v=1560889194647

I am totally unfamiliar with the area so I don't know what that shore is like.

My only experience on the Stamp was fishing near the Gun range back in 2005 I believe- unsuccessfully if I remember correctly.

This is only with regards to salmon. Of course, trout and steelhead are not salmon and are covered under the basic freshwater regulations.

Back