Illegal spot prawn sales net fishmonger $30K fine

Dogbreath

I see there's a lot more dust to settle over this yet

Illegal spot prawns sales net fishmonger $30K fine
Crackdown by Fisheries and Oceans Canada led to 38 charges against two businesses and seven people

vancouver-spot-prawn-festival-prawns.jpg

Wild B.C. spot prawns are known for their sweet, delicate flavour and firm texture

A Vancouver fishmonger landed a jumbo-sized fine for his role in the illegal trade in spot prawns.

Ying Chiu, the operator of Jumbo Seafood Co., was fined $30,000 last month in provincial court after pleading guilty to two counts of purchasing prawns caught out of season in January and February of 2014.

The commercial spot prawn season normally opens for May and June, according to officials with Fisheries and Oceans Canada.

The charge was part of a major investigation launched by Fisheries and Oceans Canada into the illegal harvesting and sale of both crabs and spot prawns.

The crackdown led to 38 charges being laid against two businesses and seven individuals.

The remaining charges against Chiu were stayed but charges against several other defendants are still underway.

According to court records some of the illegal fishing took place near Passage Island near the entrance to Howe Sound.

image.jpeg Brutal. Unfortunately the fines and sentences are too short and it's not going to stop. No respect for local laws, regulations or code of ethics. Rape and pillage until it's all gone seems standard fare. I have been seeing it since I was a kid crabbing of the dock in White Rock when you would see poachers scurry like rats claiming they didn't know or understand regs. Problem has now followed to the island where I am noticing more and more "foreign" boats showing up loaded with people. Saw a group last week board a nice covered 26 aluminum at Brechin rolling coolers in tow with dress shoes on head straight for Gabriola bluffs. Very sad. Have called to report but I think the focus is on commercial fisherman. That particular boat came from elsewhere to pick up.

Great news! I realize the problem still exists and isn't going away anytime soon but it's great to see some action. Let's hope there's more to follow.

View attachment 27940 Brutal. Unfortunately the fines and sentences are too short and it's not going to stop. No respect for local laws, regulations or code of ethics. Rape and pillage until it's all gone seems standard fare. I have been seeing it since I was a kid crabbing of the dock in White Rock when you would see poachers scurry like rats claiming they didn't know or understand regs. Problem has now followed to the island where I am noticing more and more "foreign" boats showing up loaded with people. Saw a group last week board a nice covered 26 aluminum at Brechin rolling coolers in tow with dress shoes on head straight for Gabriola bluffs. Very sad. Have called to report but I think the focus is on commercial fisherman. That particular boat came from elsewhere to pick up.
Apparently there is a Japanese commercial fisherman who runs private charter on his boat for lingcod and crab fishing,using gps and no floats.This has to be illegal.He runs it out of Steveston.There is a crew of guys at work who uses the guy quite often.

Apparently there is a Japanese commercial fisherman who runs private charter on his boat for lingcod and crab fishing,using gps and no floats.This has to be illegal.He runs it out of Steveston.There is a crew of guys at work who uses the guy quite often.

He's not the only shady charter running out of Richmond.

Why it is that most regular local fishermen know of the McDonald beach operation yet DFO can't stop it??

If you see anything that is illegal about these or any operations. Call it in. the more traffic that is called in the more likely something will get done....

Back