Ignatieff Does About Face and Says would Form Government

SerengetiGuide

Ignatieff now says he would form government should Tories lose faith of house of commons.

Guys, this is bull ****, hate to do it, but my vote is now going Tory because of this alone.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...govern-if-tories-win-minority/article1991584/

Michael Ignatieff is saying clearly for the first time that he could defeat a minority Conservative government and make a case to the Governor-General that his party could govern with the support of others – and without another trip to the polls.

Until now, Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff has only said the party that wins the most seats on May 2 can “try” to win the confidence of the House of Commons. While the comment carried an obvious implication, he spelled it out for the first time Tuesday.

“If [Conservative Leader Stephen] Harper wins the most seats and forms a government but does not secure the confidence of the House, and I’m assuming Parliament comes back, then it goes to the Governor-General. That’s what happens. That’s how the rules work.

“And then, if the Governor-General wants to call on other parties – or myself, for example – to try and form a government, then we try and form a government. That’s exactly how the rules work and what I’m trying to say to Canadians is I understand the rules, I respect the rules, I’ll follow them to the letter and I’m not going to form a coalition,” he said.

Mr. Harper began the campaign by stating that another Conservative minority is no longer an option; that only a majority mandate will keep him as prime minister. His original line of attack was that the other parties would form a coalition. Mr. Ignatieff continues to rule out a formal coalition – which would involve inviting members of another party to sit in cabinet – but he is clearly open to convincing the Governor-General that he can provide stable government with the support of other parties in the House.

‘What I’m prepared to do is talk to [NDP Leader Jack] Layton, or [Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles] Duceppe, or even Mr. Harper and say: ‘Look, we’ve got an issue here. How do we solve it? Here’s the plan I want to put before Parliament. This is the budget I would bring in.’ Then we take it from there.”

While Mr. Ignatieff is right to say that the rules of Parliament allow a party that failed to win the most seats to govern with the support of others, the scenario also raises a political dynamic.

When last year’s British elections failed to produce a majority government, for several days the second-place Labour Party debated forming a coalition with the third-place Liberal Democrats. The idea prompted strong negative reaction and was derided as a “coalition of losers.”

In the end, the Liberal Democrats rejected that offer and entered a formal coalition with the first-place Conservatives.

On Monday, Mr. Layton offered specific scenarios in an interview with Mr. Mansbridge in which a second-place party could govern.

While avoiding predictions of which party will finish first overall, Mr. Layton outlined options in which the party with the most seats is immediately defeated in Parliament and the party with the second most seats works out a governing arrangement with the remaining parties.

“Some other party gets a shot at it. We shouldn't immediately go back to an election; that would be ridiculous,” he said, describing what should happen if the party with the most seats is quickly defeated in the House of Commons.

Mr. Layton said those other parties could then craft a common agenda based on compromise.

“Let's see how much we can get done together. It could be informal; it could be case by case; it could be agreement on a speech from the Throne, or maybe agreement on the budget, or maybe agreement on a certain number of pieces of legislation, on a vote-by-vote basis; it could be some other kind of arrangement. There have been many different types of arrangements used, both in Canada and in different provinces as well, and around the world. But my goal would always be to try to get the things done that we told Canadians we would get done.”

let's face it, there is no good choice.
that said, i think the best choice for Canadians is a clear majority gov't.
One that has the power to create and pass billing in the house without having
to dick around with opposition parties hoping for their approval.

let's face it, there is no good choice.
i think the best choice for Canadians is a clear majority gov't.

Sometimes I wonder about that. A clear majority gov't is great only if the gov't in power reflects what you think should be done. Because as long as they have party unity, a majority can do whatever they want without any real opposition....the so-called opposition are just powerless nags in the house.

On the other hand, a minority gov't is forced to seek consensus to get things to pass -- they have to play nice, and this tends to moderate extreme views, whichever side of the political divide.

There's also a little anarchist-libertarian voice in there somewhere that says a gov't that has no power to govern has to just let things take their natural course ... and maybe that's not such a bad thing. With all the politicking going on in BC and federally right now, there hasn't been anyone at the helm for quite some time now. Did anyone really notice the recent gap in "leadership"?

Guys, this is bull ****, hate to do it, but my vote is now going Tory because of this alone.

Whatever happened to voting strategically? To voting out a guy who doesn't care one wit about those he is supposed to represent?
The Tories may still get a majority without Duncan, but he'll be gone, the world won't end between now and the next election and maybe, just maybe a new Tory candidate will be nominated in this riding who does care about his constituents.

why? lorne?, may i ask....holmes*

Sure,

with out going on a huge rant i'll give you 3 reasons.

1. Gun registry turfed 100%
2. Im sick and tired of voting every 2 years for no f'ing reason.
3. Not that i didn't already know, but after going to the all candidates meeting which reaffirmed my belief that any other goverment managing our country on a federal level outside of a conservative one, is not one for me.

he did not do an about face at all, he merely pointed out a hypothetical situation, and he explained how parliament works, all this poppycock about a coalition is complete bs, i'll say it again in case ppl didnt get it the first 50 times i said it,,THE CANADIAN PPL PUT IN A MINORITY GOV'T, A MINORITY GOV'T IS A COALITION, THE CONSERVATIVES ARE PART OF A COALITION, GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS, does anyone realize that there are actually some serious issues that need serious solutions?????, harper is just fear mongering and clouding the issues with this whole coalition talk.....holmes*

Actually holmes, a minority government is nothing like a coalition by definition. A coalition, which the Bloc -ndp -libs would form contains members from all parties sitting as ministers, or deputy ministers, therefore having direct policy influence over different areas of government. Now I'm no einstein, but I'm fairly sure having a member from the Bloc, a separatist group, have direct control over policies that affect all Canadians is NOT A GOOD IDEA!!! Whereas a minority Parliament, all the sitting Ministers and Deputy Ministers are from one party...one that is not the Bloc Quebecois.

well harper is to blame for number 2 as well, he thinks its his way or the hiway and one thing he has to learn is thats not the case, he has to make more compromises and concessions than the minor ones he attempted in the budget, the conservatives forced this election because they realize the voter apathy out there and ppl are sick of elections so they will likely just vote a majority so they can guarantee no elections for 4 years....number 3 i disagree 100%, id rather not have a return of george w bushes policies and pholosophies, as well as the contiued privatization of everything:mad:....number 1 yes, get rid of it.....holmes*

Once again holmes, referring back to George W Bush. I have a feeling you believe what you hear on CBC or from the NDP and Libs a lot. ;) :D Have you ever compared Bush's foreign policy to that of the Conservative gov't's or even the foreign policy and many policies for that matter of the Obama administration that most of Canada loves (He is actually all talk, but thats besides the point). If you did you would realize that the Conservative party of Canada and the Obama/democrats administration in the US are MILES, and I mean MILES closer to one another than anything of Bush. People just assume, but when you take a closer look, the Conservative Party and Democrats in the states are similar, with the dems probably being more right wing on a few issues actually (with the odd issue Conservatives more right wing too, it about evens out).

Yes there is no doubt that a cooperative minority government is the best government for Canada. It gives the best balance and well roundedness to the decisions and policies put forth during the term of the minority government. It works best to temper the mightier than thou mentality of a majority government that knows it can do whatever it wants without repercussions or resistance.

The key word here though is CO-OPERATIVE! The parties have to be willing to accept the mandate given by the people, put their pride aside, roll up their sleeves and fight to do the best for our great country to keep it great and even make it better.

This is where we have a problem,,, these freaking politicians have been and are acting like F'king 3 year olds that didn't get the cookie they demanded. It is time for them to grow up, stop screwing around and get to WORK, or we are going to end up in the news like Egypt was earlier this year, because someone is going to snap soon and start stringing these dead-beats up. If the politicos of this country can't see the IRE of the people that they are supposed to be representing, they had best open their eyes and clean out their ears.

This whole thing has me so pissed off, it is absolutely tearing me apart inside. Every time that I think about this election issue, it makes me sick and truely sad in my heart. Honestly, are these F'king bobble-headed idiots that we have for choices are the best that our country can put forth to run the whole show???? I think not, it does however show how corrupt the whole goddamned system really is though, through and through. Normally I will banter politcal discussions with friends and with my father at or around election times, but not this time! I am so pissed and dissappointed that as soon as I start to think or talk about it for too long, I feel the anger building in me that makes me absolutely want to destroy something, I recognize that this is not healthy, so this time around I feel like one of the flock, and will find myself meandering down to the polls on election day and making a mark beside the "best" of the worst - truely sad:mad:.

Well if you are from a town with the possability of a mine, power project , etc, good luck getting foriegn investment in a country without a stable government in place . Wont happen with a coallition govt

And if you are from a coastal community or town that depends on access to common property marine resources like healthy fish stocks, good luck with Duncan as the next Minister of Fisheries. Vote strategically!

SeringettiGuide: Thanks for your thoughtful posting on a difficult election.

As most people on this forum know, I am a member of the Conservative Party of Canada. I support the party and it's MP's.

I am also very involved in sports fishing here in BC, and have been a fishing guide since 1992. I believe that the Halibut Allocation issue must be fixed in a way that is fair to everyone, not just the few commercial fishermen who own quota.

While I have my doubts about my own MP, John Duncan, I am beginning to believe that I will vote for him on May 2nd.

I am looking at the big picture. There is much more to this election than the Halibut Allocation issue. There is the gun registry which with a majority Conservative government we can finally be rid of after 16 years of darkness. There is support for Canada's military, which the Liberals would starve for equipment.

Ignatieff in charge of the country truely frightens me. Especially if he is only there with the support of the NDP and the traitorous Bloc. Just keep this in mind: Finance Minister Jack Layton! And remember, in this scenario, nothing will pass without the support of Gilles Duceppe. Nothing.

There is a Conservative policy convention planned for this summer. That is where we can have a direct input on the Halibut issue, and with more effect than targeting John Duncan in his riding.

As for Duncan becoming Fisheries Minister, I have my doubts about that. Only Stephan Harper would know, and he would not talk about it until the official announcement is made. Anything else is pure speculation.

Duncan's wife is native. I think he is likely to remain as Minister of Indian and Northern Affairs.

If you look at the polls, BC is trending heavily toward the NDP and could elect many of them instead of good Conservative members. It is BC that is going to make or break a Conservative Majority government. That could make a difference for Halibut supporters like Troy DeSousa in Esquimalt Jaun de Fuca. I'd hate to lose him to an NDP candidate.

Personally, I'm willing to give Duncan a seat at the table and fix it later at the constituency level.

Once again holmes, referring back to George W Bush. I have a feeling you believe what you hear on CBC or from the NDP and Libs a lot. ;) :D Have you ever compared Bush's foreign policy to that of the Conservative gov't's or even the foreign policy and many policies for that matter of the Obama administration that most of Canada loves (He is actually all talk, but thats besides the point). If you did you would realize that the Conservative party of Canada and the Obama/democrats administration in the US are MILES, and I mean MILES closer to one another than anything of Bush. People just assume, but when you take a closer look, the Conservative Party and Democrats in the states are similar, with the dems probably being more right wing on a few issues actually (with the odd issue Conservatives more right wing too, it about evens out).

I agree for the most part that the Democrats in the US are quite comparable in many respects to the Conservatives in Canada, and I've lived in the US for several years during the Bush admin. In the past few decades in the US the left has shifted middle, the middle has shifted right, and the right is soo far off the ****** charts its ridiculous. So when we compare the conservatives to the democrats I think we need to consider the way things have slowly been shifting before our very eyes on recent decades. We're in a viscous cycle of consumerism that allows right wing politics to flourish and hence all parties (in Canada and US) have shifted more right in recent years.

In terms of foreign policy this shift has never been more evident. It's very simple to look at historical opinion polls on what the rest of the world thinks about the US/Canada and it is amazing how far we have tumbled in the eyes of the world in less than 1 generation. There are a lot of great things that Canada and the US does internationally but those things are FAR outweighed by all the harm/suffering we inflict in the sake of keeping our economy rolling along. Gov't by its nature is extremely short-sighted and the negative effects of this are showing up big time for. As voters we rely on our elected reps to act in our best long-term interests but in actuality they are thinking on a couple-year scale while they should be looking decades ahead. It's no surprise that we're facing so many major problems in gov't today and it's sad that we have such a sorry bunch of federal leaders to choose from this time around.

I'm not sure who I'm voting for yet but I can tell you it sure as hell won't be for the same guy who has been ignoring our environment and reputation in the world for the past several years.

Sushihunter..
Apparently Duncan's wife left him... she saw the light!

Personally, I'm willing to give Duncan a seat at the table and fix it later at the constituency level.

Fix it later???
Duncan has had lots of time and notice from his constituents to fix the halibut allocation, and the gifting of a public resource to Canada's slipper skippers.
He has also had more than a decade to fix the issue of Norweigen open net pen fish farms in our local waters..
He has chose to do NOTHING for us.. Time for him to go IMHO

For the record.. I do not carry a card to any political party..I just vote according to who will serve the geographic area/country that I live in most diligently.
I want an MP that will listen to his constituents and Duncan has proven time again that he is NOT that person.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record.. I do not carry a card to any political party..I just vote according to who will serve the geographic area/country that I live in most diligently.
I want an MP that will listen to his constituents and Duncan has proven time again that he is NOT that person.

X2. And if it ends up as another minority govt., so be it.

Back