Idle No More/Theresa Spence

Why should they have their own schools at all? The education standards and ways of measurement of "learning" (this is not due to funding at these schools in many cases) is one of the reasons for low education among natives. The sad thing is even at public school native youth believe they are higher than those around them. I saw it first hand only a few years ago...they believed they deserved more than the rest of us. I believe they deserve the same, no special schools where they have a disadvantage due to lax standards...even funding (as Andrew claims).

Good points Serengeti, there totally does need to be equal treatment, but the Indian act stands in the way of all of this. In my opinion, nothing will improve while it exists.

My highschool was 50% native. I have many good friends to this day from then and it was very eye opening to be invited into homes, ceremonies etc. I also reflect back on how different many of our lives are now, and the difference was the reserve. Same education, many graduated, but many more did not. Mostly all the white kids graduated. They were incouraged to graduate and go on to further education. My native friends parents were children of residential school survivors...so you can imagine the encouragement towards school. There needs to be more than 2 generations before these scars will start to be healed.

I'm Irish! and I have yet to receive a check from Britain for thousands of years of abuse, land theft etc. Forgive me if I have nothing but contempt for the poor downtrodden FN. Not a racist- just a realist--you could likely substitute any nation on earth for Ireland (Ukraine and every other nation in Europe) and they have some justifyable anger to a conquering nation--They just had to suck it up and get off their butt--those that didn't are still waiting for their MILLIONS!

I'm Irish! and I have yet to receive a check from Britain for thousands of years of abuse, land theft etc. Forgive me if I have nothing but contempt for the poor downtrodden FN. Not a racist- just a realist--you could likely substitute any nation on earth for Ireland (Ukraine and every other nation in Europe) and they have some justifyable anger to a conquering nation--They just had to suck it up and get off their butt--those that didn't are still waiting for their MILLIONS!

Agreed.

Lots worse then the FN as well.

Lorne

Yup, and that budget is less per capita than the general population gets. Less for school, health, etc.

There is no surprise about the current conditions on reserves when their schools are far worse than nonnative schools, etc.

Why should the budget be less than non-natives??!!
I agree we need to be educated but to be honest getting any actual facts is difficult to the point of a cover up. For example we are told there are somewhere in the neighbourhood of 1million FN's people.The budget is approx 8 billion or say roughly $8,000 per person. If that budget is to be used for Education,Health, Welfare and housing etc. it seems a stretch that $8,000 per person annualy would cover it.
It's been reported and never disputed, that Chief Spence received 105 million over 5 years for her 300 people which works out to 21 million a year divided by 300 or $70,000 a year per person. That's a far cry from $8,000 and must mean some people are getting a lot less than the 8K average. I admit Im confused even though I`m aware northern bands receive additional funding and I admit I may have rounded the numbers off (whoknows what ones are real anymore), but I think the gist is the same.

I'm seem to recall that some Irish did a little more than just "suck it up and get off their butt". How many years of fighting and terrorists acts were associated with the discontent? And I'm afraid I can't forgive you if you "have nothing but contempt for the poor downtrodden FN".

I always cringe when I read threads like this one in which many paint an entire group of people with such broad brush strokes. It's one thing to say something like "We really need an honest discussion of how to move forward as a single nation with different subgroups of people in it", it's another to paint all FN people as lazy moochers. The former is realistic, the latter is racist.

One land one law. Can I use a word Andrew used for the effect, **** we should just pay every FN 1 million dollars, scrape the indian act from that day on they become part of everyday society, pay taxes etc. We would be much further ahead. Christ look back at it, so they trade land for guns, blankets beads whatever. Years later they say you screwed us we sold to cheap we want more.... repeat in another X number of years, repeat again and again. Now for the residential schools, yes it was pure abuse but it is in the past we cannot keep bringing this up over and over again. Life goes on move on become stronger, we can all learn from our mistakes. The Japanse govt. apologizes for the abuse in the second world war, it was war it was 70 years ago, the current govt. has nothing to do with it but still they have to say sorry. History is history get over it move on. Finally the FN's must be accountable for the money they receive, as for Chief Teresa it looks like most of it went down her throat, I sure as hell will not use her diet to help me in my New Years resolution to help me lose weight. Rant over!

Yep saw a news clip,young native female,2 children inside there res on the reservation we are talking about. 2 mattresses on the floor and not much else,it then focused on the Chief on the reserve travelling in a Hummer? Whats wrong with that picture? Rumours today of blockades at major transportation centres and routes. How to lose all respect for everyone,those allowing it etc

One land one law. Can I use a word Andrew used for the effect, **** we should just pay every FN 1 million dollars, scrape the indian act from that day on they become part of everyday society, pay taxes etc. We would be much further ahead. Christ look back at it, so they trade land for guns, blankets beads whatever. Years later they say you screwed us we sold to cheap we want more.... repeat in another X number of years, repeat again and again. Now for the residential schools, yes it was pure abuse but it is in the past we cannot keep bringing this up over and over again. Life goes on move on become stronger, we can all learn from our mistakes. The Japanse govt. apologizes for the abuse in the second world war, it was war it was 70 years ago, the current govt. has nothing to do with it but still they have to say sorry. History is history get over it move on. Finally the FN's must be accountable for the money they receive, as for Chief Teresa it looks like most of it went down her throat, I sure as hell will not use her diet to help me in my New Years resolution to help me lose weight. Rant over!

Hey, we agree again.
As far as moving on goes,

Living in the past = depressed
Living in the future = anxious
Living in the present = calm

It's painfully obvious to me that this so called "Idol No More" movement is misguided, in that it should be directed at themselves and there hierarchy and not the government that have supported this inequality in this country. If idle no more means were going to take advantage of the opportunities that already exist for all, then I say I support it. But if it's just another cry out for more government handouts to continue under there present system, then I say F#%K YOU.;) eman

This thread i the best read i've had in some time,most of us were born in this country so dosn't that make us ALL the same?Canadians ,or are we considered second nations.Glad to see some guys on here speak how they really feel.

Interesting video - FWIW

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/2070949556001

Remember that the dollarsearned on the reservation are TAX FREE, at $300,000 per year that would be the equivalent to about $650,000 if taxed the same as BC

That news segment is brutal,finaddict. It's the same thing in the local tribe here. A chosen few get the good paying
jobs and perks that go with them,while the rest live in poverty and destitution. Time for the FN to look within themselves and put a stop to the corruption.

the biggest inequality happens right on the rez. fn creates it. lives by it. as a nation it is time for fn to drop history and strive for a better present.

Lollypop-- I agree with you. I support the Idle No More putting pressure on Harper and Co to rescind the environmental sections of the anti democratic Bill C45 and its predecessor. The way Harper ramrodded his agenda to give sections of our resource industries the right to run roughshod over the environment was (is) disgusting) . I wish mainstream Canadians would get pissed off enough to oppose the Cons on this too.
But I am disgusted that guys like Paul Martin have express public support for a (at best) totally incompetent minor native leader, or (at worst) a fraud and con artist that is leading the government around by the short and curlies.

Any hope of wide acceptance by Canadians of the Idle No More movement is not going to happen until they cut any connection with Spense and the idiot "grand chief" from Manitoba that has threatened to shut down our economy.

Also-- slipping under the radar, was the disgraceful dog and pony show at HMCS Discovery by MP Randy Kamp who is trying to convince Vancouver area boaters that a CCG Hurricane RHI operating out of Vancouver harbour, between May and Sept will adequately replace 12 month coverage from the Kits base. I'll bet that Ottawa has already send more on enhanced security to circle the wagons in the Capitol than it would cost to keep the Kits base open. Disgusting............

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoiled children will be looking for handouts the rest of their lives.
Self esteem comes from supporting yourself, not waiting for gov compensation or welfare checks.

Quite a similar equation the 1% in the states bringing down the country and FN chiefs hogging the money.

Back