i will need some tradesman in the comox valley

i am in the middle of buying a property in the black creek area and will be building a attached garage, so will be looking for trades
Hey no luck, we just built on a gulf island. A lot of our trades came from the big island, some I’d even refer. Get in touch if you want

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new property!!!
I moved to Campbell River, almost 2 years ago. We looked at properties in Black Creek, but my wife wanted to be closer to town. I wanted a bigger property in Black Creek, but she won out.
I’m also looking into a garage build. So far I’ve reached out to a steel garage installer supplier, Vancouver Island Steel buildings. I got a quote for a 30x40. But I’m going to have to adjust the size, because that one is out of the budget. Recently I had an electrician help me run the tech cable to the location. Colgan Electric was recommended to me by a long time local here. He’s helped me on 2 jobs and has always been on time and good communication. I’ll be following this, as I’m in the same boat. I think I’m going to look into pole barn construction next.

Call Steve at Dovedale Carpentry. He can help you with trustworthy subs, as well.

I agree, but that mentality seems to have gone the way of the dodo. I get a lot of attitude for not giving away free information these days.
If they're not contracted and on board, then I'm Captain DILLIGAF. They can suffer through the cowboys and the indians and see why for themselves.

I'm very good at working with my clients and have just two deals that went bad in my almost 20 years in business, but I've learnt to spot the tire kickers and time wasters. I'll be polite, I'll visit, look at their proposed project, listen to their hopes and dreams, but there's a line. No free stuff: I'm not applying for your building permit, or drawing your plans, or letting you order your materials on my account at my price, installing stuff I didn't supply, or passing on my list of trusted subtrades.

Steve is a generous guy. It took me years and not a few dollars to gather a team of trusted subs, no one gets that info unless I get the job.
Scarcity or abundance? They attract the same.
Trades? Every time I started a project in a new town I just called the suppliers: "Who's worth hiring?" Inspectors, Architects and Engineers will tell you. Even give you a coffee with their advice. Construction Association, Union Hall. Call a few of those folks and ask them the same questions: longevity, reputation and credit history. Worksafe history? 2 or 3 hours and I'd know plenty.

I agree, but that mentality seems to have gone the way of the dodo. I get a lot of attitude for not giving away free information these days.
This is THE INFORMATION ERA!
...almost all of it is free. Possessiveness is so early 20th C.
Your wife hates it, too. 😂
I provide free advice with a money-back guarantee!

Scarcity or abundance? They attract the same.
Trades? Every time I started a project in a new town I just called the suppliers: "Who's worth hiring?" Inspectors, Architects and Engineers will tell you. Even give you a coffee with their advice. Construction Association, Union Hall. Call a few of those folks and ask them the same questions: longevity, reputation and credit history. Worksafe history? 2 or 3 hours and I'd know plenty.
My favourite is to direct them to CHBA local website or printed member directory. Some suppliers, particularly larger chains, have firm policies on this and will politely decline to recommend anyone.

please take your chat somewhere else, i have provided free information to a lot of members for years. with mechanical issues, and that is my bread and butter. I am just asking for a hand
most of the build i will do myself but need a few contacts in a few trades

please take your chat somewhere else, i have provided free information to a lot of members for years. with mechanical issues, and that is my bread and butter. I am just asking for a hand
Sorry for the diversion, here. Send me a PM - I'll happily provide you with what you need! Plenty of good people nearby.

Grumpy butt

One thing I have learned about many local contractors is ,dont count on them returning phone calls. It seems its too much trouble for a lot of them to do a call back. But for some, getting bugged a few times MIGHT get their attention

Hey, noluck. I've been in the Comox Valley for almost 50 years. Built 3 homes. The last one was just finished. Owner/ Builder.
I went through some questionable trades but once you find some good ones....they will refer only people they will work with. I have a few that may be of help...PM me and I'll even throw in some good fishing spots....

List the trades wanted, I know a few..

Back