I/O conversion options?

So you want an 18ft close bow salt water inshore fishing boat with a small cuddy for fishing gear, no toilet and enough room for one buddy and a beer cooler and 8 fishing rods?

So you want an 18ft close bow salt water inshore fishing boat with a small cuddy for fishing gear, no toilet and enough room for one buddy and a beer cooler and 8 fishing rods?
Yeah, the list fits the bill of a 24+. The ladies ain't going to like the cuddy of anything smaller in fibreglass unless its a cruiser and not a fishing boat. The above boat you'd be hard pressed to cram a couple toddlers into up front.

Maybe an aluminum with an enclosed cab in the 22 range will tick the boxes. They generally layout better for covered, heated space in the sub 25 category.

At this stage I don’t have a boat. I am looking for something that I can ‘make my own’. We have just moved to the lower mainland and I have always been into fishing, never lived on the coast.

In an ideal world I am thinking of buying something in the next 2 months, using it this summer and then customizing it over the winter.

I have a wife and daughter who are keen to participate.. as in go out with my son and I but I know that they will want a dry place out of the cold. I think a cuddly cabin may be the starting point and possibly converting it to a small Alaskan inspired cabin. Almost like a covered bow rider if that makes sense? A compromise between a fishing boat and a covered mini pleasure cruiser….

I like the look of the double eagles but will see what is available .. around 19 foot would be the target.

What you get will be determined on what you can really spend. If you start going 20 plus with outboards quite frankly with this market decent power your easily 60k up. Unless you want a high hour tired motor.

Bigger you go more expensive in the power. Keep it in mind.

It sound like more of your family decision. I would just look at some boats and get a feel on what you want.

Last edited:
Take the ladies out when it is warm and calm seas. If not home they stay for their and your comfort. Now you can get a boat for a reasonable or at least lower investment.
Also have them decide how long they want to be out before you get on the water! There is nothing like getting to the fishing grounds and being asked how much longer before we head back.
I speak from EXPERIENCE

Another option is to buy a blown out inboard boat that you can get next to nothing. Pod it and if money an issue just look for a good used outboard. Something you can fix up overtime.

My conversion I am pretty much equal what I put in if let go. Only because my boat was cheap with inboard when I bought it. And I also sold my engines which paid for pod etc.

Buying new motors is expensive but you get the warranty etc.

Just something to consider as alternative.

Take the ladies out when it is warm and calm seas. If not home they stay for their and your comfort. Now you can get a boat for a reasonable or at least lower investment.
Also have them decide how long they want to be out before you get on the water! There is nothing like getting to the fishing grounds and being asked how much longer before we head back.
I speak from EXPERIENCE
TOTALLY I had a buddy who bought a boat as SHE SAID I like that boat and want that type of boat as it turned out she hated it so here he was stuck with a brand new boat that they bought from boat show with out taking it out and trying.
I hate to say but "some " women only want to go when its flat calm where they can suntan and have a glass of wine . reality sets in though and thats maybe 1 or 2 times a year and you have to be out on that said day

Just for context, here is a picture of our friend knitting in the cuddy of our Grady White 228 Seafarer while we were fishing off Port Hardy, she was very comfortable. A buddy of mine has the 2101 Striper and the cuddy is even taller. There are options in the 21 - 22 ft boats.

Attachments

• 22492506-64DE-4C6D-B300-9A81EA1062AF.jpeg
    22492506-64DE-4C6D-B300-9A81EA1062AF.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Just for context, here is a picture of our friend knitting in the cuddy of our Grady White 228 Seafarer while we were fishing off Port Hardy, she was very comfortable. A buddy of mine has the 2101 Striper and the cuddy is even taller. There are options in the 21 - 22 ft boats.
Keep in mind that will make a good chunk of inexperienced boaters green almost instantaneously.

When considering a bow-rider. I’d advise you to watch some YouTubes on Haulover Inlet, in Florida. See what happens to people with bow-riders (bow-divers) on the ocean. Some videos are very entertaining and scary.

Back