I need a better transducer

Bifmalibu

I've got a Garmin sonar and it's fine except the transducer sucks for fishing the chuck. I think it's designed for lakes. Are the airman p66 still the go-to for affordable 'ducers?

It's a Garmin chomp 74cv. Transducer data is: Mid-band CHIRP (80-160 kHz, 500 W/CHIRP ClearVu (260/455 kHz, 500 W (8-pin)

I bought a HDS9 Live last year and it came with a 3:1 transducer. It is great for sturgeon fishing and shallow lakes but sucked in the salt. I picked up the P66 and it made a huge difference it was also pretty cheap. I now have both mounted and run the best one for the fishing I am doing at the time.

Island Fisherman just published an article about transducers you should check out. They recommend the P66 among others https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/transducers-for-fishing-in-bcs-ocean-waters-3/

Go TM165HW and don't look back. P66 in entry level compared to the TM165HW. Better detail, but, at high speed in deep water it tends to lose the bottom (500 ft). Other than that for fishing it's fantastic. Make sure your Garmin is compatible with the unit first tho.

Last edited:
Go TM165HW and don't look back. P66 in entry level compared to the TM165HW. Better detail, but, at high speed in deep water it tends to lose the bottom (500 ft). Other than that for fishing it's fantastic. Make sure you're Garmin is compatible with the unit first tho.

I agree the P66 is no where near as detailed as my other CHIRP transducer but it does show bait balls and fish. If you have the budget I would go with pescador’s suggestion.

I agree the P66 is no where near as detailed as my other CHIRP transducer but it does show bait balls and fish. If you have the budget I would go with pescador’s suggestion.
I'm curious as to what the added detail does for you? What more do you need to know other than where the bait ball is?

I'm curious as to what the added detail does for you? What more do you need to know other than where the bait ball is?
Honestly probably not a lot for me other than satisfying my urge to buy more expensive fishing gear. I do find that there is more interference with the P66 and I have been told that a CHIRP transducer is better at reducing this. I do see a difference between the two I have one being CHIRP and the other the P66.

Most of the time I am more likely to be fishing structure, or waypoints I have caught fish before, or targeting bait which I can see just fine with my current transducer.

I’m not sure how much detail one needs to see from a transducer. I’m not sure what transducer I have, it is the one that came with my unit. Gives me all the detail I need.
1691353629426.jpeg

I've got two Garmin MFD's side by side. One is a P66 and the other hooked to the TM165HW. The latter detail is just way more refined. P66 is ok, TM165HW is a step up. If you don't want to spend the $ go with a P66. It'll suffice just a a Hyundai is fine by a BMW is more refined. One mans view...nada mas.

Go TM165HW and don't look back. P66 in entry level compared to the TM165HW. Better detail, but, at high speed in deep water it tends to lose the bottom (500 ft). Other than that for fishing it's fantastic. Make sure you're Garmin is compatible with the unit first tho.

Can second the TM165HW, I did some forum searching and came across pescador's earlier messages about it and decided to grab it for myself. Have been running it since the spring, nice detail.

I did some looking today. The transducer is a CV23M.

This is how it's advertised:

CV23M-TM transducer is perfect for coastal and offshore fishermen who want CHIRP traditional sonar and CHIRP ClearV? scanning sonar. This transom mount transducer consistently displays clear and crisp fish arches with superior target separation as well as clear definition of structure below the boat.

The 8-pin transducer features mid-band CHIRP traditional sonar (80-160 kHz) and has a power rating of 600 W. The CHIRP ClearV? (260/455 kHz) element has a power rating of 500 W. It also includes a built-in fast response temperature sensor.

I'm thinking I should do a bit more playing around with it and it may be fine for my needs. I was seeing some good bait ball detail yesterday and could easily identify fish on the balls. It seems to scroll slowly and I haven't found a way to speed that up.

This is interesting,
I’m currently using the stock GT52HW with my Garmin Echomap Chirp 9xx, though found it was taking much too long to pickup bottom in 300-400fow after coming off step (looking for prawn spots and deep jigging areas). I dialed down the frequency to the lowest setting which helped though would still like some improvement.

@pescador probing this a bit more, is performance of the TM165HW adequate for deeper water work (250-400’) or more of a sub 200’ salmon transducer? Is the 500 foot max more so an under ‘ideal’ conditions?

I’m just getting started in my assessment of after-market transducers, may take I bit before my questions are more educated.

Have you set up your unit? Frequency, gain, noise reduction all play a role in signal quality. I have a Garmin Striker 5, and I can see my down rigger balls in 150-200’ of water.

This is interesting,
I’m currently using the stock GT52HW with my Garmin Echomap Chirp 9xx, though found it was taking much too long to pickup bottom in 300-400fow after coming off step (looking for prawn spots and deep jigging areas). I dialed down the frequency to the lowest setting which helped though would still like some improvement.

@pescador probing this a bit more, is performance of the TM165HW adequate for deeper water work (250-400’) or more of a sub 200’ salmon transducer? Is the 500 foot max more so an under ‘ideal’ conditions?

I’m just getting started in my assessment of after-market transducers, may take I bit before my questions are more educated.
it is fine trolling in a couple of hundred feet+. i don't fish in those waters very often tho. its only at high speeds (27mph) in really deep water (over 500ft) where I've lost the bottom

This is interesting,

Do you have the dual frequency selection with this transducer/unit? I have the GT54 and often run a split screen with Chirp and 200hz. The difference in detail in deeper water is significantly better with the lower frequency. Plus I speed up the scroll speed in the appearance setting which also helps with bottom and fish/bait.

Back