I don't want to hear it

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Going to the boat show and talking with a few business owners I keep hearing that our dollar is going to hurt us as every is now going to be 20% more.

This is crap.........

When our dollar was higher did this show in our pricing? When our dollar was more did we see the discounts? I am ready to punch the next salesman in the head that uses the excuss to try and sell me something. It's total BS

Its like fuel prices...... Ferries was able to raise their prices, taxis, transport companies, your freaken gardener etc..... Are we seeing the savings now fuel is so cheap?

The answer to my questions is NO.......

But these are the same people warning us about the extra 20% on items they now have to buy.

Its theft

When I learned to weld, the outfit I worked at (an old division of harbourcraft) bought all materials in Canadian dollars and sells it's products in US dollars. This outfit pulls in cash hand over fist. And they moved here (Okanagan valley) from Sylvain lake alta because they save a third on wages. I have thought for years that this is little better than outright theft. When asked, the managements answer was always the same" that's the beauty of building here". If the prices were an actual reflection of the cost of building a boat, there would be a lot more Kingfishers in BC. Instead they opt to sell fewer boats at a higher price.

Oh I know...... But as long as I am not the dumbest I'll come out ahead :)

Its all in how you read it, and how stupid you are :)

I am laughing

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to the boat show and talking with a few business owners I keep hearing that our dollar is going to hurt us as every is now going to be 20% more.

This is crap.........

When our dollar was higher did this show in our pricing? When our dollar was more did we see the discounts? I am ready to punch the next salesman in the head that uses the excuss to try and sell me something. It's total BS

Its like fuel prices...... Ferries was able to raise their prices, taxis, transport companies, your freaken gardener etc..... Are we seeing the savings now fuel is so cheap?

The answer to my questions is NO.......

But these are the same people warning us about the extra 20% on items they now have to buy.

Its theft

It kind of depends..Some manufacturers have inventory in US funds...Three high tech manufacturers I worked with lost and had to laid off workforce over it. Its is hurting people right now here is one big one coming to island shortly over it...

One I worked for lost about 2 million in one quarter over the very same thing. It depends how lean the operation is if they have say 3-7 million in inventory than the value in US of what is on the shelves and they lose money... They have two choices liquid date old inventory, layoff workforce or pass it on to consumer..... Its really a crappy thing.... And if you have to many prebuilt things another no no if your set up wrong with inventory you will lose. That is why a lot of manufacturers have gone to lean manufacturing over the years so that turn there inventory around faster and have less of it.... That where guys run Kanban systems on there shelves not only to have the inventory but reduce amount they have in inventory and have to stock at given time... There was a reason why companies set up in US funds in inventory I can't remember it was ether a tax advantage..I can't remember...

So in a way some of what they are saying is true...Its just depends how you run your company... I know it doesn't make sense but that's how a lot of companies operate when they sell goods at least in Canada to US customers. Sorry sounds kind of know it all but I took a lot of lean manufacturing courses and this topic came up a lot...

Last edited by a moderator:
So don't buy anything...simple
Your right it is very simple :)

Dont spend money on companies that are poorly managed unless there are no other options available.

Heres another.....

How many guides or lodges charged fuel surcharge but won't get away with it this year but their rates have not changed. How many of these operators business will do better this year as tourism should be up cause of our dollar and fuel costs. Will that come back to the consumer? LOL

I had to laugh when I got texted this morning with this "You should set up a booth at the boat show. " How to make the best deal " and how to not get nutted by retailers lol.".......... LOL I had to share.

With inventory being "just in time" it is understandable that prices don't change initially with a currency shift. Prices rise as costs increase, fair enough. Prices don't seem to go down when costs decrease. That's the rub. There are reasons as SpringVelocity points out but not in many manufacturing applications.

Old enough to have seen the Canadian $ above par a few times and want to kick my butt for not buying US$ then to buffer out these swings. PO'ed at my own stupidity more than I am at corporate greed.

You know the only thing in my life that changes is my trips and purchases from the US.

I'll keep spending, someone has to........ :) I just don't want the lame excuss

Oh well, thinking outloud again...... Time to go fishing :) Must be winter

sorry to break the news to you but as far as motors built in the usa, buying at the boat show this year is about your last kick at the can to buy before you see a significant increase in cost due to our low dollar. I was at the show friday and will be back tomorrow buying my new 115. you can buy here right now for the same price as in the usa, sooooooo you think evinrude and merc etc. will sell the same motors up here at a 20% discount ???? and probably going higher in the near future. the merc dealers have a meeting today or tomorrow with their usa suppliers, guess what they will be talking about??? stuff already in stock will be fine, but it looks like we're gonna have a low dollar for a while, get while the gettins good imho.

Back