I did something bad

Stizzla

Crew Member
I’m a year round boater (usually).

this year too much stuff happened and I did zero winter fishing. The last time I took my boat out was October 1st where I went for a super long run and went through a full tank of fresh gas.
So it’s been sitting in the driveway, at around 1/8 of a tank over the past 6 months. nothing added to it. I flush it with fresh water each time I use it.

what do I need to do to get it ready to use soon, just fill it with fresh gas and go?!
2021 Yamaha 115 with 24 hours on it. Had 20 hour servicing last fall.

thanks!

If it was your lawnmower I'd say flash it up, but it's not. I'm no expert, but from a bad experience with old gas, ie. being towed from Malcolm Island back to Telegraph Cove, killing a mini vacation, don't mess with it. Ditch the old gas and at least run the motor in the driveway until the crap is blown through.

Fill with ethanol free fuel and go 6 months is not a big deal especially since your only 1/8 tank so most of the fuel will be new. Would run a tank or 2 and then change the filter at fuel water separator. You could check it after first trip out and drain any water that may have made it way in (condensation in tank).

Hopefully you had premium fuel in there with no ethanol. I always try and keep a full tank over the winter if not In use so there’s no chance moisture can form inside the tank walls. Hopefully you have a fuel / water seperator filter . If you used premium 94+ octane you shouldn’t have a problem but you never know we did have some decent cold spells.

If it had not been run since Oct 1 I would worry more about damaging the motor through lack of oil. I would pull the sparkplugs and turn it over for 5 x 20 second intervals before reinstalling the plugs , checking batteries , racor , and fuel stabilizer.

If it had not been run since Oct 1 I would worry more about damaging the motor through lack of oil. I would pull the sparkplugs and turn it over for 5 x 20 second intervals before reinstalling the plugs , checking batteries , racor , and fuel stabilizer.
6 months is absolutely Not "old gas" and it's a total myth that condensation forms in a close-to-empty tank. Air would have to circulate and gas vapor displaces air in any case. Beemer is right about dry cylinders. Pull the kill switch and crank for 15 seconds or so, pause and do it again. Fill up, put the switch key back and go...

I would add some Methyl Hydrate or gas line antifreeze, to help remove any condensation. Run a tank or two, then change your water/fuel separator. I always carry a spare filter too.

I agree with what most people are saying, it’s fine, fill it up with ethanol free and you’re all set. I wouldn’t worry at all.

You wouldn't likely worry about starting your car after 6 months,
although maybe a battery boost would be in order.

6 months is absolutely Not "old gas" and it's a total myth that condensation forms in a close-to-empty tank. Air would have to circulate and gas vapor displaces air in any case. Beemer is right about dry cylinders. Pull the kill switch and crank for 15 seconds or so, pause and do it again. Fill up, put the switch key back and go...
Even if it’s a myth I always err on the side of caution and try and keep a full(ish) tank when not in use and if I know it’s gonna sit a while I put some fuel stabilizer in. Heard too many horror stories of moisture and fuel issues .

I wouldn’t say it’s a myth but it’s not as big an issue as many make it out to be I have had water in fuel issues occasionally over the years but its just a nuisance more so than a serious issue and doesn’t amount to much especially in a smaller tank. Separator and filter are in place for that sort of thing.. no big deal. Had an optimax that would trigger a water in fuel alarm almost yearly after sitting for the winter. Drain water change filter and problem solved.

Mines an inboard that sits at least 6 months over winter and usually closer to 7 by the time it’s warm enough to dig it out. I put a dose of seafoam in the tank last run in the fall and it flashes right up in the spring and never misses a beat.

I've been bingeing The Walking Dead. They scrounge old gas all the time.
Do your spring maintenance, if you didn't do it in the fall, fill her up and go. Watch for zombies.
It’s a good show to a certain point. They let it go on waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. I gave up around season 7 or 8

Back