Huge springer run predicted for Columbia Riv

Being more specific, I wish we had your hatchery production up north here.

quote:Originally posted by reelfast
I would not be giving “my” money to Washington, either? But again I believe NMFS is actually working on and doing well, “in recent years”!

quote: profisher, the WA anadramous stocks have been managed so well that at least 2 dozen of them are now extinct or functionally nonexistent. you may not like DFO but i can tell you that what we have here is a disaster in 'management'.
Yes, I think Washington really mismanaged, “decades” ago, along with all the rest of us destroying spawning grounds! Again, you are referring to “decades” ago! Try getting a new building permit or new bulkhead permit, nowadays anywhere in Puget Sound… the only thing I can say, “Good luck”? Even “Weyerhaeuser” has problems and is no longer exempt from that one!
quote: NMFS is supposed to be enforcing our law with regard to ESA listed fishes. but guess what, if you want to fish with a gill net which kills everything that comes along, NMFS ain't lookin'!
Oh yes they are! In fact, those “gill nets” are monitored quite closely now! Not as your “decades” ago. Depending on where they are, defines how closely and by who monitors them. Is there by-catch, sure - but it isn't as much as some refer to?
quote:the statistical models all of these agencies use are so far from the truth of the situation they are virtually worthless. they have historically OVER estimated excapement by anywhere from 40-70% for decades now. and of course, when you overharvest at that level, you decimate the stocks.

but, instead of erring on the conservative side of the model estimates, they always seem to pick bigger numbers. i guess you can tell that if they didn't the commercial interests would be after their collective nuts.
Again the use of “historically” and “decades”? Start looking within the last 10 years and especially in the last five. Like I said, I think they have finally figured out – how to do something right! Sheesh… if a “wild” salmon is even near or thought in a stream they shut the whole system down and start their “impact” studies! I had a friend that had an Eagle “land”, “not nest” in a tree and it took him over two years to get a building permit, while they completed their studies - as they wanted to make sure it wasn’t going to build a nest in his tree!

“the commercial interests” in Puget Sound? That’s an interesting direction and thought! I don’t think a “commercial interest” with a total harvest of 2,758 Chinook in the entire Puget Sound would have the ability to be after anyone’s “collective nuts”? About the only commercial fisher left in Puget Sound is Pink and Chum and those I would not try to make a living off?
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/commregs/ps_salmon_landings/species_geartype_nov20_09.pdf

If you are referring to “tribal commercial”? Again “decades” ago? That has been very well managed for several years! http://www.nwifc.org/about-us/fisheries-management/ To include their “gill” nets.
quote: we had the 'salmon manager' for puget sound give a presentation to our fishing club. as you waded through the numbers and realized just how unreliable the data collection actually is, you had some appreciation about the joke which is seasons and limits. the other interesting sort of comment the guy made was '...anything we can sell to the comanagers...', there goes your science here comes your politics.

its a crying shame but i don't see it getting any better down this way.
Yes, we have “politics”… always have had and always will have. Would have to ask… which “Indian War” is he still fighting, the one “decades” ago or the “current” one? Some still have bitterness over the “co-manager” decision and program?

Concerning a choice between DFO, WDF&G, and NOAA? NOAA "NO QUESTIONS" asked!
Between DFO and WDF&G? WDF&G!
Just so you know, between DFO and "NOG"? I would chose, NOG... "hands down"!:D

I am on the Citizens Advisory Group for the Columbia River. Our group of about 20 meets with the the WDFW and the ODW (Washington and Oregon Dept. of Wildlife) about 6 times per year. It is interesting and nice to know we have some impact on the process in selecting which seasons will be presented to the Directors.

Last year was my best year for Spring Chinook since 2004 and with the water and feed conditions in the ocean, we're looking forward to an even better year this year. A K-14 Double Trouble (chrome body, chartreuse nose and butt)Kwikfish doused in anise scent is the ticket in the 11 - 16 ft. deep water where I anchor/backbounce.

CW

Satisfaction: 23' Aluminum Thunderjet with Ford 460 salmon fishing the Columbia River

Back