How To Reduce Pencil Lead Loss

quote:Originally posted by Reaper

i too would also like to know as i have mentioned i lost little lead
this to me dosent seem to make things any easier
How would you know unless you actually tried it?

If someone gets out and gives this a go for the first time and finds that it really saves them some lead could you please post about your day. Plus I would like to know if you made them in all different sizes. Plus if they last for so long do you need to replace the rubber tubing and silicone. I for one am not going to go and try this as to me I can not come to think how this would save me any lead or time. Over and over it has been asked that there be an explaination but there has not been one. I give up...

I used to bottom bounce spin-n-glos all the time way back when and I simply used a small safety pin snap/swivel with surgical tubing and pencil lead. Tie mainline to one end of swivel and leader to the other, the end with the snap on it. Then, open the safety pin type snap and hook it into a piece of tubing about 1/4 inch in. Snap it closed. Tubing can be from two to four inches long depending upon how much weight required etc.
Cut off lead to appropriate length, lubricate with saliva and insert in tubing. If you want to decrease the stickiness of the lead and make it a bit more bouncier then get a jar of that tool handle repair goop (can't remember name of it) and dip lead into it. Forms a soft rubber-like cover over the lead so it "bounces" off stuff easier it's claimed. Hard to objectively measure success of that methinks, but.....could be.
I never bothered with that part and didn't lose a lot of lead. With a steady and judicious pull you would often break off just the rubber and the piece of lead, which could be quickly replaced. Sometimes the lead pulled free and you needed replace only that.

But, to each his own and I'm not picking on anybody else's method, just sharing how simple mine was.

Take care.

I used to use something very similar then I saw fish-rite with his lead threaded right on the main line. I rigged right on the main line and now fish the same piece of lead all season.

This is as they say about the IPAD, its "a solution without a problem".

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org

i have fished with the same piece of lead for most of the fishingseason now but i actually had to change it today yes change NOT lost due to the fact that one end got so beat up i have to roll it back out at home cause it looked like a mushroom top
so this is not something i will ever try or even consider cause to to me looks like it will work just as well as any other idea and to me it seems like he is just looking to yank our chains

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

I used to use something very similar then I saw fish-rite with his lead threaded right on the main line. I rigged right on the main line and now fish the same piece of lead all season.

X2... They do start to look kinda funny though :D

Back