How To Reduce Pencil Lead Loss

Dogbreath

It's always a laugh to see people lining the river bottom with lead/constantly rigging and re-rigging.

I haven't bought pencil lead for probably 10 years now and this is why-I fill rubber tubing with silicon and slip it over the lead it's as simple as that.

Fished as a sliding rig</u> it bounces over any rocks that are out there and does a decent job of slipping out of wooden snags too-try it you'll be Happy you did.

IMGP2957.jpg

IMGP2958.jpg

What purpose does the silicone filled rubber tubing have? I might try that sliding system. I would have to buy different swivels though. Thank you.

What is the purpose of the tubing and the silicone? Does the tubing come off when it gets snagged? Does it somehow prevent the lead from hanging up under a rock? I understand that the silicone "glues" the tubing to the lead but what is the purpose of the tubing?

It is something to try for sure.
Ive always found that breaking the lead(not cutting) and thread the line through the center of it really helps to keep it from grabbing as well

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

It is something to try for sure.
Ive always found that breaking the lead(not cutting) and thread the line through the center of it really helps to keep it from grabbing as well

That is something I was wondering. Wouldn't it be the same result sliding it on the line? With out the need of rubber,silicon,brass or extra prep.

There must be some thing we are not thinking about.

Maybe Dogbreath bought a 50lb box 10 years ago..:D I am joking and wondering, trying to figure out why this method would save lead.

makes no sense to me at all why that would help i use tubing and i run it on my line above the swivel and i shove the lead up there after liberally spitting in the tube to lube it up or holding it in the water for a sec so the lead slides in i dont suffer many snags and i can pull out of most anything if i do but the lead and tubing usually just bounces over everything

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123
I am joking and wondering, trying to figure out why this method would save lead.
Because it never gets caught on anything ever!

I never retie unless my mainline breaks for some strange reason.

Have you any idea how much time you waste tying/retying all day long day after day?

IMGP2960.jpg

mmmmmmm i dont waste anytime retying at all it is very very rare i loose a pice of lead

I hardy lose lead unless my main line breaks as well. For me in the little piece of rubber I use it slides over my SMALL swivel. Causeing me to pull it back over the swivel and start fishing again after checking the sharpness of my hook. If my lead catches up and sides over my swivel and onto my weaker fraid leader then yes I have to retie more then just a leader.

What seems stange to me is that I for years used slide leads online with out the fancy setup that is in the picture. I do like your use of the bead. I thought about using a bead but was told that the lead was soft enough and that it would not damage the knot. I can't ever recall the knot being damaged. But that was years ago. But I do see the use of a bead when ataching a swivel like you show in trolling cause I recall older slide weights breaking the knot above the flasher when trolling in the salt chuck.I used the hollow core for what I thought it was desined to do. The line above the swivel would get beaten up by the lead getting caught up in the rocks and the line above the swivel getting damaged by the bottom. That would cause me to lose every thing when my line broke.

I just don't understand why this would work any better then a regular slider.

I am not saying BS, but I think you have more lucky horse shoes then me:) I am just lost as to how this would save lead.

10 years without buy lead. Wish I could say that.

i havent bought lead in 5 years and i have never had to do what he is saying

I'm not sure if this is more fun than monkeys or if some of you really are as dense as lost lead.

Probably a bit of both......[:eek:)]

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

I'm not sure if this is more fun than monkeys or if some of you really are as dense as lost lead.

orly_mr_miyagi.jpg

:D
I have found by threading the line through the lead........ It makes it pretty easy to get the whole she-bang back......

Unless its stuck in a tree
6.gif

went fishing today didnt do a darn thing different never lost a piece of lead had to redo a couple hooks but thats par for the course when playing with fiesty Chum they seem to frey the line pretty good in them teeth
also had a huge Chum on and was peeling line on me so i decided drop the rod down to water level and slack the line buggar stopped dead in his tracks and started comming back up i tugged on him again and off he went so i slacked it again after this i gentlle pulled rod up and reeled loose line in and i walked him right to the landing spot without so much as a tail flap turned out to be round 20lbs and chrome

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

Weather this be because of me or other users asking the for the explaination of the reason for and of... This is as dense as the loss of lead. Why do you think that we ask? I don't want to litter the rivers I fish with lead, rubber, silicon and or any extra gear. All I ask is for a reason why? Or do we just have to go try this?

Sorry I do not mean to aggrivate you? and I am sure that no body else does either.

i too would also like to know as i have mentioned i lost little lead
this to me dosent seem to make things any easier

Back