How much does this fish weigh?! A quick guide to guessing.

Rain City

Crew Member
Pulled this off the internets. Not a bad, quick guess, way to brag about your fish.

My name is Jon and I catch A LOT of 7 lb Chinook...

"While it might have made more sense to use the median weight for these formulas, fishery biologists decided to go with the 75th percentile so that the standard weight at a given length was an above-average or "ideal" target to shoot for in terms of body condition. So, if your fish appears plump and healthy, the weights from the table should be relatively close. If your fish is skinny to average, it will weigh less, and if very plump and remarkably "fat" it will weigh more. Just make an adjustment."

Chinook Salmon Weight Conversion Chart

25 in 6.49 lb
26 in 7.28 lb
27 in 8.12 lb
28 in 9.02 lb
29 in 9.99 lb
30 in 11.02 lb
31 in 12.12 lb
32 in 13.29 lb
33 in 14.53 lb
34 in 15.84 lb
35 in 17.23 lb
36 in 18.70 lb
37 in 20.25 lb
38 in 21.88 lb
39 in 23.59 lb
40 in 25.38 lb
41 in 27.27 lb
42 in 29.24 lb
43 in 31.31 lb
44 in 33.47 lb
45 in 35.72 lb
46 in 38.08 lb
47 in 40.53 lb
48 in 43.08 lb

Pulled this off the internets. Not a bad, quick guess, way to brag about your fish.

My name is Jon and I catch A LOT of 7 lb Chinook...

"While it might have made more sense to use the median weight for these formulas, fishery biologists decided to go with the 75th percentile so that the standard weight at a given length was an above-average or "ideal" target to shoot for in terms of body condition. So, if your fish appears plump and healthy, the weights from the table should be relatively close. If your fish is skinny to average, it will weigh less, and if very plump and remarkably "fat" it will weigh more. Just make an adjustment."

Chinook Salmon Weight Conversion Chart

25 in 6.49 lb
26 in 7.28 lb
27 in 8.12 lb
28 in 9.02 lb
29 in 9.99 lb
30 in 11.02 lb
31 in 12.12 lb
32 in 13.29 lb
33 in 14.53 lb
34 in 15.84 lb
35 in 17.23 lb
36 in 18.70 lb
37 in 20.25 lb
38 in 21.88 lb
39 in 23.59 lb
40 in 25.38 lb
41 in 27.27 lb
42 in 29.24 lb
43 in 31.31 lb
44 in 33.47 lb
45 in 35.72 lb
46 in 38.08 lb
47 in 40.53 lb
48 in 43.08 lb

have released and retained many tyee . most fish that break 41” unless complete snakes weigh, or tape over 30. this list , while close, is forsure a bit shy

have released and retained many tyee . most fish that break 41” unless complete snakes weigh, or tape over 30. this list , while close, is forsure a bit shy
Good to know! My biggest off the Bell was 42" and I thought for sure a Tyee. Weighed in at 27lbs. Maybe my scale was broken, just like my heart.

Length x girth x girth / 800 gives you the approx. weight - all in inches. You gotta look at the girth of your puppy too. One day you catch the Michael Jordan of chinooks and the next day it's Shaq O'Neal! You probably hooked a Mikey at the Bell.

1625526830870.png

Length x girth x girt / 800 gives you the approx. weight - all in inches. You gotta look at the girth of your puppy too. One day you catch the Michael Jordan of chinooks and the next day it's Shaq O'Neal! You probably hooked a Mikey at the Bell.
No man that's what I'm trying to avoid. Yes of course that works better but did you even read the title? :p Why don't we all bear hug a Tyee on our dry a** hoodies while we try and get a tape around it.

Pro tip - if you're trying to measure, photograph and mock a dying fish on your boat after you've netted it. Just give it a little bonk on the head to calm it down for a bit before you bullet launch it to the waiting seals. :eek:

No man that's what I'm trying to avoid. Yes of course that works better but did you even read the title? :p Why don't we all bear hug a Tyee on our dry a** hoodies while we try and get a tape around it.

Pro tip - if you're trying to measure, photograph and mock a dying fish on your boat after you've netted it. Just give it a little bonk on the head to calm it down for a bit before you bullet launch it to the waiting seals. :eek:
lol - I read the thing at the end of the paragraph and this isn't going to help with your cause ;) Ask a fisherman to "make and adjustment" and everyone's on the Tyee Leaderboard! :D

".....and if very plump and remarkably "fat" it will weigh more. Just make an adjustment."

Good to know! My biggest off the Bell was 42" and I thought for sure a Tyee. Weighed in at 27lbs. Maybe my scale was broken, just like my heart.
Funny story,

I watched @Canso hook and land what we were sure to be a tyee off the wall in bamfield. We scaled it and we were shocked to see it was only 27lbs! A couple weeks later I was at @fishin solo place and I decided to throw a 18lb Canon ball on that same scale and it was reading 15lbs! Doh!!!

Funny story,

I watched @Canso hook and land what we were sure to be a tyee off the wall in bamfield. We scaled it and we were shocked to see it was only 27lbs! A couple weeks later I was at @fishin solo place and I decided to throw a 18lb Canon ball on that same scale and it was reading 15lbs! Doh!!!
That's a sad story Dan. And now I'm questioning all of my life choices

That's a sad story Dan. And now I'm questioning all of my life choices
Now we need a forensic investigation here. Either Fishing Solo’s scale somehow ended up in your boat or the ball boy has scammed Dan or a combination of both. Regardless, Aces has a valid point here…. ;)

Now we need a forensic investigation here. Either Fishing Solo’s scale somehow ended up in your boat or the ball boy has scammed Dan or a combination of both. Regardless, Aces has a valid point here…. ;)
One thing is for sure here. We all spent too much time with family this weekend.

this also works for women i’ve been told

Most of the pics I see of folks holding up their "Tyee's" are nice solid 25 pounders... Except for those verified by certified scales. Remember that Lodges and Guides get increased Tips for Tyees ... so the close ones are usually fudged over to 30 !

CRGreg
This definitely isn’t the case with most the guides I worked with to each there own I guess though some lodges divide by 750 instead of 800 which gives you a bigger size though

I agree Bryce, the peanut gallery in the guide shack would rip guides a new one stretching the weight to 30#. We never did that. 29.5 is still not a tyee. In the first half of my guiding career I hung a lot of tyees on the scale at the dock, fish up to around 50# are darn close to the formula weight when divided by 800. Actually found that the formula was a tad conservative compared to the scale. I am not totally sold on the 750 divider as there seems to be more discrepancy. As for big tips for big fish, not always the case. More like big tips for big fun at all the places I worked. Some of my biggest guided fish resulted in well below average tips.....all depends on what the guest values I guess....

Back