How Heavy Are Your Balls....

This is just a thought as I have never spent any time with downriggers at all...but if you run an 18 lower and 15 upper, not only would you have vertical spacing to prevent tangles, you'd have horizontal spacing as well because the 15 would swing back further for a given amount of line drag.

Just a thought; there could easily be disadvantages of which I'm not aware because I've literally spent my whole life doing nothing but drift fishing with spinning gear.

[QUOTE="Prairie Locked, post: 845847, member: 7380"
For the HP's, I understand that anything less than 18 can cause cannonballs to be lost due to the quick retrieve as there isn't enough resistance (yes, I know it sounds counter-intuitive)

That is just straight up false. I have been running 15's on my 2106's for quite some time and haven't lost a ball yet.

When fishing deep all problems are exacerbated so it takes some tuning. 15# balls are plenty down to 250' or so. Beyond that I like 20#s. If you never fish deeper than 250' I would stick with 15's and save the wear and tear associated with heavier balls. At 250' -500' stacking is also out as it will be more trouble than it is worth. You should be able to stack with 15# balls at less than 200' with some fine tuning. Many good tips given here but the first one I would try is making the split wider. Btw many braids are larger diam. Than ss cable. Scotty branded is one of them and you will get more blowback with it. I prefer 200# power pro as it is thinner than ss cable and works great. Also if you use a gangion line setup on the scotty hp's, ball loss issues becomes very infrequent having that length of cord to absorb shock. As always ymmv. Tight lines!

I set the top rod further back than the bottom, far enough so the flasher is fishing beyond the belly in the bottom mainline. Rarely have issues down to 220' with 20# balls, 180' with 15#'s. If a fish misses the bottom gear there's a chance they'll see the top, I also do the same with naked plugs on top rod WAY behind a flasher on bottom rod. Always 20' spread between clips and let them down SLOW and TIGHT.

I have done some testing with round balls vs round balls with a fin and the round balls definitely stay a lot deeper. Add a flasher onto the cannon ball with a fin and the drag is quit big.

Interesting Wildman re the difference between a plain round and finned, re drag. Works for me as I picked up a couple of plain round,coated 20's but haven't tried them yet as I need to replace new wire on one downrigger and have decided to wait until next season to do it. Have confirmed that my tangling issue with 4 lines is only at faster speed and flatter angle of the wire. Will be rigged for bear next year...

Back