How do you stop Barnacle bill and his buddies growing all over your lower engine, trim tabs etc in yearly moorage?

smokedvw

I keep my boat in the water 6 months a year. I would always get barnacles on the lower engine, the cylinders for the trim etc. One year I painted my entire area under the water line with interkux bottom cote xxx and that helped pretty much keep them off. I painted my depth sounder, speedo transducers etc.. No barnacles where able to stick. The next year I didn't and it was full of them again.

The guy at the boat shop said it's not advised to put the antifuling paint on aluminum (I painted it on my aluminium sandwich bracket for the engine) and that seems fine a few years later.

Now I just got a new boat (new to me) and it will be in year round except the odd week trip once and a while where it's pulled, transported then used. It's very clean has trim tabs, has a large aluminum bracket where the engine mounts that will be partially under water.

What is the proper way to prevent it full of barnacles and is it ok to just go with the anti fouling? I bought interkux microN CSC (expensive at $300 a gallon) :(

Side note, is the mricon CSC really that much better than bottomkote or xxx?

PXL_20220326_221056816.jpg

Last edited:
Coat all that with paste wax and leave it. No rubbing, buffing, polishing. No barnacles.

Wgat is the proper way to prevent it full of barnacles

View attachment 77193

Wgat is the proper way to prevent it full of barnacles

I've seen guys put a tarp underwater and around their boat. Seen some guys doing it for years. Guess the plastic wrap would be fine too, but what happens when the boat is in plane? I'm sure the wrap would just unwrap.

I've seen guys put a tarp underwater and around their boat. Seen some guys doing it for years. Guess the plastic wrap would be fine too, but what happens when the boat is in plane? I'm sure the wrap would just unwrap.
Ha that sounds totally ghetto. I can't see how that would create a barrier at the back part by the engine and trim tabs.

Ha that sounds totally ghetto. I can't see how that would create a barrier at the back part by the engine and trim tabs.
All I can say is that I have seen it, don't know if it really worked or not, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Have you personally done this?
How thick of a layer did you do?
Yes. A tip from a marine mechanic. It lasts over one year for me. Easy, cheap, no corrosion issues and non-toxic. Use carnuba-type paste wax. Rub a thin film on everything metal, just as you would on a car or your boat, then let it dry. Don't wipe it off.

Did that on my aluminum gillnetter for years. Bare metal on the hull, no paint or epoxy barrier coat.
Put it on the tidal grid in the spring, pressure wash off all the growth, put on lots of turtle wax, hard carnuba.
Tidal grid it again in the fall with more wax applied.
Quick job, then relax with a bottle of rum while the tide comes back in.

All I can say is that I have seen it, don't know if it really worked or not, but thought it was worth mentioning.
What the tarp is for is for bleaching the hull. Bleach is added to the bag of water and left 24hrs to kill the critters attached to the hull. I have seen it done , but sure as heck it has to be illegal in Canadian waters.

What the tarp is for is for bleaching the hull. Bleach is added to the bag of water and left 24hrs to kill the critters attached to the hull. I have seen it done , but sure as heck it has to be illegal in Canadian waters.
That has been my experience too. Absolutely no bueno for the environment and all the critters living in it.

Don’t put csc on aluminum you’ll cause corrosion issues need to use trilux it’s fine for the rest of the hull.

Panetene baby cream is what Ive been doing for many many years cheap get it at costco. I coat it on my trip tabs and rams etc best part if you need to clean it pressure washer gets it off.
Hey Wolf,
A skeleton goes into a bar. The bartender says "What will you have?" The skeleton says ... :)
Oh, come on! You did so laugh!

Great trip with you and the Boyz! Thanks again.

Panetene baby cream is what Ive been doing for many many years cheap get it at costco. I coat it on my trip tabs and rams etc best part if you need to clean it pressure washer gets it off.
Intersting.

So its baby cream from Costco or @Foxsea Turtle Wax from Canadian Tire it seems or Mothers which actually says carnuba wax.
The clear wax seems like it would be nicer to look at.

I am curious as well, the bolts that hold the engine on, do you guys usually just relube those and cover them in the general marine grease? Maybe the wax will work there as well. I just know when I power wash it comes off each year.

Thanks

Been using pentene for years along with AOT of other guys.. works great I have it on there right now

Intersting.

So its baby cream from Costco or @Foxsea Turtle Wax from Canadian Tire it seems or Mothers which actually says carnuba wax.
The clear wax seems like it would be nicer to look at.

I am curious as well, the bolts that hold the engine on, do you guys usually just relube those and cover them in the general marine grease? Maybe the wax will work there as well. I just know when I power wash it comes off each year.

Thanks
Yeah, but you should haul out every year in any case, so just reapply.

Yeah, but you should haul out every year in any case, so just reapply.
I do for sure beginning of season(march) then in june again apply where it has worn off etc... stuff works VERY well and best part is its cheap . I suggest use surgical gloves and a very small rag to apply like 5 inch by 5 inch as it gets goopy really easy . Ive never had a kid and I never will, I dont know how one would even apply to a wet butt LOL LOL

I do for sure beginning of season(march) then in june again apply where it has worn off etc... stuff works VERY well and best part is its cheap . I suggest use surgical gloves and a very small rag to apply like 5 inch by 5 inch as it gets goopy really easy . Ive never had a kid and I never will, I dont know how one would even apply to a wet butt LOL LOL
You do it on a dry butt bud!

Wet wouldn't work to well ;)

Ok the baby cream seems easier to actually apply.

Are you leaving it in all year with just a March/June application? How thick are you leaving it on. On a kid a little goes a long way ;). I'm assuming you want to try to put some kind of layer on there.

Back