Hour meter install

ChilliSpoons

I’ve purchased a cheesy Amazon hour meter to install on my 2011 75hp Mercury to keep track of service intervals. The easy installation consists of wrapping the included wire around a spark plug lead and zip tying the meter to somewhere under the cowl. On my Merc there are pencil coils with no visible conventional spark plug wires.

Is there another option/location for me to wrap the wire around? I tried wrapping the wire around the wiring harness that connects to the pencil coils but the hour meter didn’t register.

Attachments

• 2BD07F1D-730B-40EC-A07B-0CE1D4AEAF32.jpeg
    2BD07F1D-730B-40EC-A07B-0CE1D4AEAF32.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 27
  • F6C34818-D6DC-4CBE-9D68-FE11C14AB93C.jpeg
    F6C34818-D6DC-4CBE-9D68-FE11C14AB93C.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 27
I’ve purchased a cheesy Amazon hour meter to install on my 2011 75hp Mercury to keep track of service intervals. The easy installation consists of wrapping the included wire around a spark plug lead and zip tying the meter to somewhere under the cowl. On my Merc there are pencil coils with no visible conventional spark plug wires.

Is there another option/location for me to wrap the wire around? I tried wrapping the wire around the wiring harness that connects to the pencil coils but the hour meter didn’t register.
You might be able to wrap it around one of the yellow wires coming down from the stator. Try 8-10 wraps and see if it works. Same kind of high voltage AC signal.

Those coils have their own internal power supply. There is no stator or trigger on that engine. They use a crank sensor for ecu signal which is only resistance to ground, and same type signal from the ecu to the coils. If it had magneto ignition I would say highly unlikely that the inductive hour meter would pickup that signal even at that.

Back