Hornby/Denman Reports

I believe John is enjoying retired life in Qualicum Beach. I bought a 30 HP Johnson from off of one of his Whaler runabouts that was used to run out to the Straight.

How's the fishing down that way of late? From reports posted it sounds like things are interesting for sure. Thanks for any updates.;) eman

Things have remained really good here for the past week. Couple commercial boats fishin in close past few days and seen lotsa guys makin the run from north (comox?) in the evenings. Out last night for 3 hrs and caught 4 springs in the 8-12 range that went back and had a tank on that spat the hook. Lots of lil guys too. Also managed a nice linger double header that was alot of fun. Kept the smaller of the two. Bigger fish are hitting the bottom rod every time

Irish cream spoon and green glo hootchie have outfished bait and all other colours. Silver betsy flasher has been the ticket as well

Fished Hornby today. Caught a few fish and iced a couple springs and a nice ling with GLG and Thawk from Vic. Nice meeting you. Gladly go fishing again with you.

What a beautiful night... Fished the glassy waters until the sun was gone. Lots of boats around flora. Picked up a low teener off flora and then another a bit further north. late bite was great and water was warm enough for a late swim.

Back to work next week but will be back up in a few wks.

Cheers,
Dfrase

Went out last sunday, too windy to get on outside if Flora so just fished around Tribune. No luck bout 10-12 boats didnt see anything caught at all in about 4 hours. My Dad went out on Tuesday and did get to Flora and got skunked as well. Maybe its slowin down out here. Or maybe its just us.

Was out 2 days ago. Fished flora and release 1 undersize spring.
After a hour of no fish picked up and fished norris rocks. No action.
There were a couple boats fishing really shalow inside norris towards hornby. Jigging/buzz bombing?
There was a couple boats fishing the lighthouse. Im not sure how any one made out.
I ended up catching a couple wild cohos at 80 ft in 250 ft of water. Real slow out there. Fished 4-8.

Back up this weekend... Out late last night for two hrs and picked up a nice lil spring. later bite has been the ticket.... Missed a few pin poppers as well
a7u3aqu3.jpg

Went out Sunday morning until 4pm off Flora, lost one and landed a 20lb spring at 185 ft in 350ft of water and a ling in 80ft of water, lots of fish sounding, only about a dozen boats, great day on the water.

I'm heading out this weekend. Planning to have a bunch of good feedback and photos! ;)

Anybody been out in the last while?

Was out off Flora on the 10th, released 2 wild coho and an undersized spring all on a cop car coyote spoon. took my brother and nephew to let them fight the fish. One of the coho hit on the surface before getting the spoon down, tail walked with the spoon, my nephew had a hoot. All the fish were on the outside of Flora in less than 100 ft of water after the morning high slack and ebb.

Was out for a wedding this weekend on Hornby. Unfortunately(but was awesome) the wedding and family time didn't allow for much fishing time. That said, I did take a short troll on Saturday and picked up a really nice 8lb hatchery coho off Flora Island on a glow hoochy in a jughead teaser head, which went butterflied on the campfire for a latenight party snack. We also dropped the prawn traps right off of Seabreeze resort and did really well. There were some real jumbos there.

Big thanks to Dfrase for all of the tips!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 209
Back