Hook Swap on Coyote / Coho Killer Spoons?

High Time

Crew Member
Being a relative newby to current sports gear and not impressed with the factory hooks on these spoons, I am looking for any info on doing a quality replacement on them. ie hooks, split rings, swivels etc. Thanks

Similar to FA, I run them with a 3/0 hook, but I prefer the PNT Siwash hooks and Mustad Ultra Points. To each their own :)

If you add any swivels or blades, make sure to increase the bend to compensate for the dampening of the action that is caused by the increased weight and friction of the hardware that you add to the spoon.

Some guys swear they fish best without additional hardware, but those hooks definitely stinky... so I recommend at a bare minimum replacing them for a quality hook of similar size and weight to the factory one that you take off.

BTW - Irish Cream doesn't work at all..... :D

x2 although HC was going with a black 2/0 mustad on the coho killer-looked ok-still like stainless 3/0

I have heard of people fishing the 2/0 Mustad and haven't heard of any bend offs.... yet.

The lighter hook would likely maintain the fast action of the Coho Killer.

I only said 3/0-4/0 as it was not said what size of coyote spoon it was he was changing the hook on.

Buy nothing but the Mustad XXX stainless. They don't rust, they hold a great point that you have to know how to put on and they last.

I have heard of people fishing the 2/0 Mustad and haven't heard of any bend offs.... yet.

x2 although HC was going with a black 2/0 mustad on the coho killer-looked ok
They are awesome, I just found them last year and now I don't use anything else.

HC you mean high carbon? I had carbon steel hooks they all rusted. I had to keep sharpening thru out the day. I gave away and tossed the rusty ones. They stained all my rubber and other assorted gear.

Fish the spoon as designed and equipped from the manufacturer.

coyote use a 9510 3/0 on 3.5, 4.0 and and 4/0 on 5.0 And 6.0

Adding swivels is not needed.

commercial folks don't mess around with swivels and the Coyotes are based an old commercial spoon--just sportified.

Thanks for the comebacks. I think I will nix the need for a swivel and check out PNT in Steveston for a quality match of the originals. Not happy with the corrosion on the hooks of last summers spoons. BTW anybody add eyes to the Coyote spoons??

Thanks for the comebacks. I think I will nix the need for a swivel and check out PNT in Steveston for a quality match of the originals. Not happy with the corrosion on the hooks of last summers spoons. BTW anybody add eyes to the Coyote spoons??

No worries :)

PNT claw point should be just what you are looking for for the coyote spoons... 3/0 range is what I have on any non-offshore spoons.

I find the 3/0 PNT claw points a touch heavy for the coho killers, but just match it up as you said when you get in there.

Tight lines.

I like running smaller hooks on my spoons. I go with Mustad 2/0 SS hooks on all my 3, 3.5, and 4 inch spoons. I haven't had a lot of time testing them on the water but from the time I've had, they hold up great and dont rust out like the factory hooks.

I hate the idea or eye hooking any fish I'm planning on releasing. That being said, if I'm into the shakers, I'll stop using spoons all together and drop down hoochies with 5/0 hooks. Seems to keep them off better.

I heard the reason that some guys put swivels on the coho killers is that the spoons are very small and the material weak/thin where the split ring attaches the hook and that if you get a big fish you can end up twisting the spoon and/or pulling the hook off. The hooks coho killers come with are junk and easily break (we lost a nice fish last year in a the Sidney derby) so they should always be replaced.

^^^^like Whole in Water said, swivel helps combat the coho death spin. Gami siwash hooks work just fine and are super sharp.

I heard the reason that some guys put swivels on the coho killers is that the spoons are very small and the material weak/thin where the split ring attaches the hook and that if you get a big fish you can end up twisting the spoon and/or pulling the hook off. The hooks coho killers come with are junk and easily break (we lost a nice fish last year in a the Sidney derby) so they should always be replaced.

Yeah I had a friend (he knows he is!)that happened to in the sidney angler derby...Was he on your boat.....He is still talking about about but it sounds like we have a witness now! :p So this story must be real now....

I prefer the coho killers (and all spoons) without a swivel added between the spoon and the hook. I rigged a few with the swivels and found you need to be flying in order for them to have the right action.

Back