High Tech Jigging

Amazon.ca does have it, you just might have to through a couple pages of the power pro braid to find it.

Hope this helps

Oly
Thanks Oly, I actually called down to Pacific Playgrounds to there Tackle Shack store and they have the line which is good because I needed more butterfly jigs anyway. Pretty good deal, flat $10 shipping anywhere in Canada. Give me a chance to get my stuff all fixed up before I go on holidays. I just need to decide on which jigs I should get and what sizes.

I'm curious what the Campbell River fish are eating when you have success with the butterfly jig ,herring , anchovie, squid or sandlance? In Victoria I use the PW Darts with good success as they are feeding on sandlance. I've given the butterfly jigs a few short shifts with no success. Yet

I'm curious what the Campbell River fish are eating when you have success with the butterfly jig ,herring , anchovie, squid or sandlance? In Victoria I use the PW Darts with good success as they are feeding on sandlance. I've given the butterfly jigs a few short shifts with no success. Yet
The only thing I've seen in there belly is herring, and they get big. I caught a bunch last summer on a Sabiki Rig and some were upwards of 10".

A great jig that has served me well when the herring are around is the silver and blue crippled herring from luhr jensen 2,3 or 4 oz depending on depth and current.

Was your line directly below the boat? If it's off at too much of an angle the action of the lure changes and it doesn't fall properly. I usually work 25' chunks. Either the top 25' or bottom 25' of a bait ball. If there are a lot of rockfish or Ling below I stay at the top. Don't just do a straight retrieve and then let it fall, I don't find that very good and that is kind of what the package says to do. Watch the YouTube video I posted above with the old fella jigging. Use that technique for about 25' and then Freefall it with your thumb on the spool. I've had a TON of strikes/fish on the fall doing it that way. I don't find a ton of success by jigging in the middle of a bait ball. Too much competition. And thanks for the kudos, I had fun going through my videos and writing that last night.

Line was vertical. Used the 80g flatfall jigs (tried black chovy, phantom, glow/chart). Worked it erratically, varied speed of retrieve. Not new to jigging, just jigging for salmon. I *did* jig with a technium 10'6, (40lb braid with 30lb floro topshot) but only because I'd heard that the action of the flat fall's doesn't necessitate a jigging rod (my jigging rods are rated 160g min, but intended for fish larger than salmon). Had a tekota line counter, so i suspect I was pretty close to the mark for the sounder (usually at 130'). I was barely making contact with my thumb, for all intents i was freespooling that jig on the drop.

Sounds like I just need to put in more hours. I'll consider changing up the jig size and give my heavier jigging rods a go, see if their action can get some. I suspect that 10'6 technium is just sapping all the 'flick' out of it as you suggest. Thanks for the tips.

2 questions: What depths do you like to target salmon at? If you can keep it vertical, is there such a thing as too deep if you see bait/marks on the sounder?

Great read! Hardly noticed my cup of coffee this morning. Guess I am going to have another plastic tray of gear to find room for.:D

We started using the same gear and technique last year as my kids were always saying they were bored with trolling. This is an awesome way to get them going and keep them interested. We were fishing Grants a few weeks back and our salmon were caught in 300 feet of water just off bottom. Cudo's to Waterwolf for helping me out in a new to me technique and system to add to my game on the water. Can't wait to get out in Winter Harbour area and give it the old college try.

Ray, I think that this video kind of speaks to the belief that most bites on these Butterfly Jigs are reaction bites vs feeding bites. I don't think that matching the bait is as important. Now I haven't tried them in areas where there are Sandlance but what I can tell from my experience is that when fishing beside others using other jigs but similar technique that I seem to get bit more often. It's like it pisses them off or something. Maybe when you are up island this summer we can get out and wet a line!

Jigs in shallow water, usually on an in coming tide 20 to 50 feet deep when the chinook are in feeding and you can see your jig is the most fun you can have salmon fishing.

Jigs in shallow water, usually on an in coming tide 20 to 50 feet deep when the chinook are in feeding and you can see your jig is the most fun you can have salmon fishing.
I totally agree, the fish just go bonkers when thy are shallow like that.

Standing on the bow of a 75' charter boat about 15' off the water in Mexico' casting to a kelp pattie reeling-in at full speed then watching a 15# Dorado slam the jig about 2' below the surface. Later that day about half the past was gone from the jig. Two day Tuna trip outta San Diego on a boat called the Outer Limits cost $250 back in 2000.

Any suggestions for a budget jigging rod/reel combo?[/QUOTE8' to 81/2' heavy to med heavy rod, I like a one piece. and any good level wind salmon reel. shimano triton 100 or 200 are a great reel for little money.

Great post. I love metered braid too but sounds like you exploit it to the fullest. Not a Powerpro fan but Sufix makes a 5 color braid.

Ever drop down to 15 or 20lb braid for more vertical drops? I can not imagine needing more than 20lb for any salmon.

What knot are you using to attach the jig to flurocarbon? Since you don't like snaps I'm guessing it's not a loop knot. :)

I think if you try using a drift sock / sea anchor tied off on a 10ft line amidships you will be a big fan. The effect of the wind is cut in half and vertical presentations are much easier without needing to have someone run a kicker. The sock in that location makes the boat drift broadside to the wind so with someone in the bow and someone in the stern you maximize the area of water coverage. It also reduces the rocking of a drifting boat which makes it more comfortable for non fishers. :)

Bumping this thread. Looking to try this on a fishing trip this weekend

Does anyone know if I can find these Shimano Flat-fall Jigs in metro Vancouver? Been to Bass-pro, Wholesale, and nothing. Not tried smaller stores yet however.

Thanks in advance

Back