High Tech Jigging

I think Pacific Angler had some Trevala's. Fred's in Abbotsford usually has a great selection of rods and I'm sure would ship.

The Trevala rods are out of my price range for the casual experimental jigger. Has anyone found a $100 spinning rod worthwhile for jigging? I prefer to fish with a spinning reel as I find level wind reels completely awkward and tiresome.

The Trevala rods are out of my price range for the casual experimental jigger. Has anyone found a $100 spinning rod worthwhile for jigging? I prefer to fish with a spinning reel as I find level wind reels completely awkward and tiresome.
It all catches fish. I've got trevalas and fancy reels and the truth is it works just as good as all the garage sale stuff I have for kids to use or people that are hard on equipment. I'd go down to the Harbour Chandler and get one of the HC jigging rods if you are looking for an economical option.

Spend the money and get the 30# power pro color changing line as that will give you depth control which is arguably one of the most important parts of jigging for salmon.

Yep. I've used a basic Ugly Stik spinning setup and managed to catch fish (even without a depth sounder or depth-hunter line). A level wind will give you a tad quicker response time when a fish hits on the initial drop (very common), but I don't find that a spinning reel is that much worse, if you're paying attention and quick with the bail.

I started jigging with a spare rod one day while on the hook with hali gear down. Jigging itself was hard enough with a 10'6 rod, but bringing up a 50 lb hali with that long whippy rod and single action reel was tiresome to say the least. The Trevala is good value when you consider the cheap rods you end up discarding once you get one. My 5 yr old grandson brought in a small ling last evening on a 6'6 Trevala whereas he can barely lift a pool cue rod of same length.

I started jigging with a spare rod one day while on the hook with hali gear down. Jigging itself was hard enough with a 10'6 rod, but bringing up a 50 lb hali with that long whippy rod and single action reel was tiresome to say the least. The Trevala is good value when you consider the cheap rods you end up discarding once you get one. My 5 yr old grandson brought in a small ling last evening on a 6'6 Trevala whereas he can barely lift a pool cue rod of same length.
Everyone has great options on jigging gear and reels. IMO levelwind reel is a great option as lots of salmon hit the jigs on the decent to the bottom and you can’t feel the bites a lot better using the levelwind then a spinning reel as the spinning reel does not control the line while letting the lure to bottom nearly as well as a levelwind.

Everyone has great options on jigging gear and reels. IMO levelwind reel is a great option as lots of salmon hit the jigs on the decent to the bottom and you can’t feel the bites a lot better using the levelwind then a spinning reel as the spinning reel does not control the line while letting the lure to bottom nearly as well as a levelwind.
I just picked up a couple lighter Penn spinning setups for the lake and was convinced by Matt at PA that these are great for jigging salmon and lings too. But I immediately found what you just said to be so true. They're great for casting, sure. But on the drop they suuuuuuck. I think what you lose in casting distance on a level wind (which isn't much) is far outweighed by the drop control. This is why we own too much ****!

what is the advantage of an open reel like the Talica over a level wind? i gather it's very high end and super strong. does the line wind on the reel unevenly? i really like level winds but maybe a more serious and frequent fisherman would see the benefits of traditional reels. i rarely see these around.

what is the advantage of an open reel like the Talica over a level wind? i gather it's very high end and super strong. does the line wind on the reel unevenly? i really like level winds but maybe a more serious and frequent fisherman would see the benefits of traditional reels. i rarely see these around.
Don’t know there’s too much of an advantage. I believe it allows for a slightly faster descent, but it also has more chance of birds nesting.

Cant beat a Ugly Stick 9ft medium heavy (10-20 lb rated ) coupled to a 6500 . Sure its rated for lighter lures, but it doesnt know that ! Its my go-to jigging rod for everything from flounders, rockfish, salmon and lingcod. And I can fish it for hours and not get jigging fatigue.

Great Thread, I have been reading up on and watching lots of Videos about Slow Pitch Jigging, seems to be gaining a lot of popularity down south. Haven‘t found much info about it being used for Salmon though, probably because most Salmon Fishermen are set in the methods and gear they are familiar with and have always used. So based on this thread and all the other info I have gleaned about Slow Pitch Jigging, I went ahead and ordered my first Slow Pitch Rod, a Temple Reef Elevate 2.0 E2 Power, can’t wait to get out and giver a go. I am going to pair it with my old AVET SX Raptor, my do everything Reel. Love the theory behind spiral/acid wrapped guides, actually want to get a spiral wrapped downrigger rod to use for trolling with my AVET also, sacrilege to all the knuckle busting mooching reel lovers I know.

I've been liking a 7' ugly stik tiger elite MH. It's about a hundred bucks and pretty decent IMO.

Casts well with a spinning reel, too.

There’s a guy in CR usually south of the green can; in a center console boat with a real nice Minn Kota setup off the bow of his boat, which i assume he has hooked up to auto pilot to stay over the bait. He looks like he should be in florida or something as he is all dressed up in pastel long sleeve shirts etc. got some of them nice jigging rods yall are raving about.

This dude is putting on a bloody clinic out there.

i’m trolling by him, and he and his buddy have hook up after hook up. pretty dang impressive

There’s a guy in CR usually south of the green can; in a center console boat with a real nice Minn Kota setup off the bow of his boat, which i assume he has hooked up to auto pilot to stay over the bait. He looks like he should be in florida or something as he is all dressed up in pastel long sleeve shirts etc. got some of them nice jigging rods yall are raving about.

i’m trolling by him, and he and his buddy have hook up after hook up. pretty dang impressive
I'm goin' to get me one of those there Pastel Shirts!! Just Sayin!!LOL

He was fishing right beside me yesterday at Francisco he grab one of my lures off me to try. 4 oz in that shallow water was definitely working well

Back