High Tech Jigging

That zebra

That zebra glow would be my first to try. I have done well on that pattern. I haven't tried anything lighter than 100 gr as my rod is designed ideally for ~130 gr. I just wouldn't get the desired action out of the 60 gr.

What setup do you use?
A 9' Daiwa spinning rod with a Shimano Stradic and 30# fireline not really targeting Springs or larger model Lings but if it happens I'm game.

A 9' Daiwa spinning rod with a Shimano Stradic and 30# fireline not really targeting Springs or larger model Lings but if it happens I'm game.

Good to go. That will get the job done. Really interested how you make out. Those jigs have done we well. Truly multi species jig.

Amazing how many Shimano jigs Trotac went through the last few weeks. I'm willing to try one, but have had decent success on lures half the price. One thing the expensive lure has against it is I won't be willing to risk it near some of my favourite salmon holding reefs. Sandy bottom only for those.

Call me a "re-convert" to salmon jigging after a ten year hiatus. Went out solo yesterday with shiny new Trevala and an old Ambassadeur 6500 loaded with Depth Hunter, first time on salt in a year for me. Found lots of bait and started dropping a Shimano black anchovy 130 g. Wham bam, four springs in an hour. Had a great time fighting and releasing fish until I lost contact with the bait.

The old basics came back quickly and I learned how to bump the kicker in and out of reverse to control drift and keep the jig dropping vertically. Best part is you feel the strike instantly, and there's no flasher adding drag. With all braided line you feel every head shake and run.

I used a 3 ft leader of 50 lb fluorocarbon as per the OP and never had a jig tangle. The Abu reel has the fast pickup needed for fishing deep but I never needed to drop lower than 125 ft. Nice compact size so you can control everything with one hand. The Trevala was excellent, so light and so much sensitivity compared to the pool cue hali rods.

Call me a "re-convert" to salmon jigging after a ten year hiatus. Went out solo yesterday with shiny new Trevala and an old Ambassadeur 6500 loaded with Depth Hunter, first time on salt in a year for me. Found lots of bait and started dropping a Shimano black anchovy 130 g. Wham bam, four springs in an hour. Had a great time fighting and releasing fish until I lost contact with the bait.

The old basics came back quickly and I learned how to bump the kicker in and out of reverse to control drift and keep the jig dropping vertically. Best part is you feel the strike instantly, and there's no flasher adding drag. With all braided line you feel every head shake and run.

I used a 3 ft leader of 50 lb fluorocarbon as per the OP and never had a jig tangle. The Abu reel has the fast pickup needed for fishing deep but I never needed to drop lower than 125 ft. Nice compact size so you can control everything with one hand. The Trevala was excellent, so light and so much sensitivity compared to the pool cue hali rods.
Epic first session jigging!
What weight travala did you get?
I have the medium and it is a good weight for salmon and ling with 6 lbs of drag you get a good bend.
Handles Hali fine also but with 10lbs drag the line is touching the fore grip. That feels like it’s max. (Depending on the reel profile)

2.5oz and 4oz green pearl zingers catch a hell of a lot of fish.

Which jigs did you end up ordering from them?
Oh boy, I will have to go back and look.
Which jigs did you end up ordering from them?

Here is a screen shot of my order. I use the 130 gr and smaller at Cambel River. Seems to be the magic size there. The heavier are for Northern waters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210709-185924_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210709-185924_Chrome.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 101
Epic first session jigging!
What weight travala did you get?
I have the medium and it is a good weight for salmon and ling with 6 lbs of drag you get a good bend.
Handles Hali fine also but with 10lbs drag the line is touching the fore grip. That feels like it’s max. (Depending on the reel profile)
I got the MH weight. So far just mid teen salmon but it seems like there's lots in reserve. Very light tip, just a flick of the wrists to get a couple of feet of lift on the jig. Nowhere near as tiring as the pool cues I've used linging on west coast charters. I have one of those coming up and I'll be taking the Trevala.

Oh boy, I will have to go back and look.

Here is a screen shot of my order. I use the 130 gr and smaller at Cambel River. Seems to be the magic size there. The heavier are for Northern waters.
Those slow man's look great

where are you guys getting your Trevala rods? i've been into the 3 fishing stores between CR and CV and they are not into these kinds of rods at all. it's either pool cue rods or making some other rods do dual duty for salmon jigging. they seem to have no interest in lighter weight jigging rods that aren't specific for halibut. when i ask about salmon jigging they generally shrug their shoulders.

where are you guys getting your Trevala rods? i've been into the 3 fishing stores between CR and CV and they are not into these kinds of rods at all. it's either pool cue rods or making some other rods do dual duty for salmon jigging. they seem to have no interest in lighter weight jigging rods that aren't specific for halibut. when i ask about salmon jigging they generally shrug their shoulders.
I got one the other day at the Tackle Shack in the Pacific playground marina-also PNT

Very hard to find Shimano products if your local tackle store is out.

I wanted a spinning setup for salmon jigging and also to be used as light(er) bottom fish setup as I have two of the MH Trevala's. Ended up settling on a 6'6" M Trevala PX (paired with a Daiwa BG 4500 reel with 40# braid). I ordered the rod in reel in January from my local tackle shop (Highwater in North Van). The reel came in April and the rod arrived in June.

I just got 2 a couple weeks ago from "The Tackle Shack" at Pacific Playgrounds. They also have other jigging rods dedicated to jigging salmon.

Got the last 2 from pnt today.

I just got 2 a couple weeks ago from "The Tackle Shack" at Pacific Playgrounds. They also have other jigging rods dedicated to jigging salmon.
no kidding. i was reading this thread in the spring and went to that place about a month ago. they were not only closed and remodelling the whole building, the manager looked at me like i was insane. i was walking around trying to find a way in and a managerial looking guy in an office said 'can i help you', and it wasn't in a 'i actually want to help you kinda way'. more like, what's your problem. so i said i was looking for the mythical 'tackle shack', you know, the one advertised on the sign, on FB and on this thread and he said. 'it's closed'. and i said, i see, is it closed for good and he said, i don't know. so i said in my mind, take a flying fukin leap bud, but actually said nothing and drove away. first and only time i've ever been to PP. not a good experience. so this place actually exists? that seemed to be very up in the air 1 month ago.

no kidding. i was reading this thread in the spring and went to that place about a month ago. they were not only closed and remodelling the whole building, the manager looked at me like i was insane. i was walking around trying to find a way in and a managerial looking guy in an office said 'can i help you', and it wasn't in a 'i actually want to help you kinda way'. more like, what's your problem. so i said i was looking for the mythical 'tackle shack', you know, the one advertised on the sign, on FB and on this thread and he said. 'it's closed'. and i said, i see, is it closed for good and he said, i don't know. so i said in my mind, take a flying fukin leap bud, but actually said nothing and drove away. first and only time i've ever been to PP. not a good experience. so this place actually exists? that seemed to be very up in the air 1 month ago.
It is now located inside the main store-the old tackle shack is given over to kayak and SUP rentals!!

Back