High Tech Jigging

As long as they are barbless
I believe that barbed trebles are still fine as long as you aren't fishing salmon-lots of guys use them for hali's and I have been checked while fishing hali's with a treble barbed-5 years ago-- but I have seen nothing to the contrary

I believe that barbed trebles are still fine as long as you aren't fishing salmon-lots of guys use them for hali's and I have been checked while fishing hali's with a treble barbed-5 years ago-- but I have seen nothing to the contrary
I still sometimes use barbless treble when fishing with anchovies

Awesome thread - thanks for all the info!
Can anybody be recommend a 6'6ish rod for Chinook and Ling Jigging? Been looking at the Shimano Trevala range and the Westcoast Jigging Rods.

Awesome thread - thanks for all the info!
Can anybody be recommend a 6'6ish rod for Chinook and Ling Jigging? Been looking at the Shimano Trevala range and the Westcoast Jigging Rods.
Tough question to answer without more information. What is your budget? Do you need a reel as well? What type and size of jigs are you using?

Tough question to answer without more information. What is your budget? Do you need a reel as well? What type and size of jigs are you using?
BB is totally correct-the first question you have to ask is really what type of jigging do I really want to do. I'm an old guy and I have jigged (I thought} all my life hali ,lings and bottom fish. I used Norwegian cod jigs, Buzz bombs,pipe jigs' big swim baits and jigged with a reasonably light hali rod and sometime a big spinning rod with braid. I would jig for half hour max and then do something else. In the last 3 years I have switched to very light slow pitch jigging rods -jigs that are used throughout the column-a rod and reel that is so light that you can jig for 3 or 4 hours. The rod is usually carbon fibre and the reel is about the size of a bass bait caster Do some research on slow pitch jigging- -Lots on you tube with rod and reels and Then start looking for rods like shimano grapplers-check weights of jigs they handle. Japan really is the home of slow pitch so a lot of good rods and reels come from overseas such as china with japanese components

Last edited:
Thanks - have a Rapala RSC reel I'm planning on using. Was looking spend my money locally they have there West Coast PJS631C and PJS66IC in stock at Courtenay Gone Fishing as well at the Shimano Trevala Jigging Rods. Was thinking I'd see which one balance the reel nicest. Looking to Jig Chinook out at Kitty Coleman and other area 14 spots. Would like to use traditional Jigs as I have a ton and Flat Falls. Budget $150 - $200.

Thanks - have a Rapala RSC reel I'm planning on using. Was looking spend my money locally they have there West Coast PJS631C and PJS66IC in stock at Courtenay Gone Fishing as well at the Shimano Trevala Jigging Rods. Was thinking I'd see which one balance the reel nicest. Looking to Jig Chinook out at Kitty Coleman and other area 14 spots. Would like to use traditional Jigs as I have a ton and Flat Falls. Budget $150 - $200.
Kitty is a very tough place to jig salmon for several reasons- the bait is usually very deep and quite honestly I have never jigged a salmon there-dogfish every time--trolled lots just never successful jigging. I'm not saying it can't be done but there are better places. Sentry shoals, Grants reef, the hump at Cr, green Can. willoby shoal, just off the point at the comox /powell ferry on low slack--Might have a look around the Lazo buoys

The Trevala is a lot of rod for the money, a good starting place. As @spring fever posted, there are more specialized rods available for slow pitch, but the Trevala is versatile enough to handle all bottom fish and jigging duties. It's a huge step up from the stiff short pool cue rods such as Ugly Stik, so much lighter and very responsive. Has the backbone to fight and land halibut, yet they're fine for my grandkids to play small bottom fish and salmon.

See how you go with your reel mounted on a Trevala, investment of $200. If you like it, you might consider moving to a lighter reel for better ergonomics. Of course reels can cost a lot or a little too, but a well paired lightweight setup is a joy to use.

Switching to colour coded braid like Depth Hunter allows you to lose the extra weight of a line counter reel. But absolutely go with the reel you have to start with.

Curious are these rip tide strikers?

Attachments

• IMG_20230609_210240832.jpg
    IMG_20230609_210240832.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20230609_210104199.jpg
    IMG_20230609_210104199.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 83
Kitty is a very tough place to jig salmon for several reasons- the bait is usually very deep and quite honestly I have never jigged a salmon there-dogfish every time--trolled lots just never successful jigging. I'm not saying it can't be done but there are better places. Sentry shoals, Grants reef, the hump at Cr, green Can. willoby shoal, just off the point at the comox /powell ferry on low slack--Might have a look around the Lazo buoys
I have found Kitty Coleman to be frustrating as well. I’ve been there about 5 times and only hooked fish once. But we hooked over 15 and tubbed out in 30 min. One of my more memorable evenings on the water. I have a friend who gets fish there quite consistently. Sentry shoal has been great for me over the years, but ZERO fish there last year. Grants is my new favourite spot. The bait only seems to hold in a few area’s consistently so you need to spend some time figuring it out.

Anyone know of any salmon jigging spots on the east side of Quadra? I’ve heard Marina Island can be worth checking out.

I have found Kitty Coleman to be frustrating as well. I’ve been there about 5 times and only hooked fish once. But we hooked over 15 and tubbed out in 30 min. One of my more memorable evenings on the water. I have a friend who gets fish there quite consistently. Sentry shoal has been great for me over the years, but ZERO fish there last year. Grants is my new favourite spot. The bait only seems to hold in a few area’s consistently so you need to spend some time figuring it out.

Anyone know of any salmon jigging spots on the east side of Quadra? I’ve heard Marina Island can be worth checking out.
Pretty hard to beat the eastern side of willoby -from the green can in--sometimes outside-epic morning yesterday from 6 am -lots of bait-surface to 150-good ling-you name it it was there-2 guys trolling but for the most part nobody around

Yeah, Wilby Shoal is generally my go-to spot. Most consistent. Nice to have some other options over there in case the bait dries up or a change of scenery is needed.

Last summer the bait was really deep at times around Wilby (down to 300'). We've gotten a lot of fish down that deep, but it is a lot of hard work and the fish don't fight so hard when you are pulling them up from the depths like that. I'd rather move on and try and find bait/fish in shallower water.

Yeah, Wilby Shoal is generally my go-to spot. Most consistent. Nice to have some other options over there in case the bait dries up or a change of scenery is needed.

Last summer the bait was really deep at times around Wilby (down to 300'). We've gotten a lot of fish down that deep, but it is a lot of hard work and the fish don't fight so hard when you are pulling them up from the depths like that. I'd rather move on and try and find bait/fish in shallower water.
I find you have to study the tides-figure when you can jig-I usually don't go if the tide is moving too fast -as for bait- I never leave a bird -I always look where they were-I watch where they are flying to. Watch the trollers is there a pattern-have a quick look. On willoby quite often the bait comes in at evening-sometimes it is quite shallow-25-35 ft if it is there you will have no competition. I hate to admit -some times you have to troll. LOL

Back