high cost of OB fuel line with primer

pcaker

I am very surprised that a 6' length of 5/16 fuel hose with a primer bulb in the middle and no special end fittings (universal type) is commonly $100. My feel for the cost of manufacturing & retailing suggests a realistic price more like $30-40. Am I overlooking something or is it just a captive market? Yes, I know they claim vapour retention and other wonders, but in fact those are standard requirements for fuel components.

you can buy fuel line by the foot in bulk. also you can buy primer bulbs separate.

might be a more cost effective option ?

pretty much everything marine related is expensive this should not be a shock really. also your paying more because it will be USCG certified
hose

you can buy fuel line by the foot in bulk. also you can buy primer bulbs separate.

might be a more cost effective option ?

pretty much everything marine related is expensive this should not be a shock really. also your paying more because it will be USCG certified
hose
Just bought 15 ft of A1 3-1/8 fuel 30ish bucks

I’ve always built my own. The key—-buy high-quality squeeze bulb and use stainless clamps to hold the hose on the barb fittings and if hooking to an outboard, stainless clamps on the fuel fittings

I am very surprised that a 6' length of 5/16 fuel hose with a primer bulb in the middle and no special end fittings (universal type) is commonly $100. My feel for the cost of manufacturing & retailing suggests a realistic price more like $30-40. Am I overlooking something or is it just a captive market? Yes, I know they claim vapour retention and other wonders, but in fact those are standard requirements for fuel components.
even buying those at wholesale makes me cringe, but good fuel line and a good bulb are worth it, you can get them for cheaper but will replace it twice as often.

I’ve always built my own. The key—-buy high-quality squeeze bulb and use stainless clamps to hold the hose on the barb fittings and if hooking to an outboard, stainless clamps on the fuel fittings
Sharphooks has a good point, I often do the same on systems where the fuel filter is farther away, they tend to last longer, get some good quality 3/8' line and the good quality bulb and put it all together with this type of hose clamp.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 5
We build them from Parker fuel line, EPA regulated primer bulbs, oetiker clamps and whatever fitting type. Turns out to be around 50 bucks. Depending on length of the hose.

Back