Hi Vis line on mainline

el.Pereh

I've recently purchased a new reel and put some Berkley Big Game Hi Vis line on it (25lbs) as my mainline. I've been out with it about 6 times now and it has been outfished by my other rod/reel that has regular mono (25lbs). I've been running the lines at similar depths with similar terminal tackle...

Has anyone had this experience with this type of line? Could it be "spooking" fish or is it in my head? I was thinking that 6 outings is too small of a sample size to know definitively but looking gain from your experience here.

i use different coloured main line and never thought at all that it affected bite.....makes it easier to see which way to go over or under, when double headers are crossing.

I like the green hi vis line. Caught lots of fish with it.

Berkley has it I prefer maxima ultra green though they also have high vis line now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive used berkley big game solar green for years and love it I wouldnt change it for anything.. I also have buds that are top guides on the west coast i yukee and thats what they prefer.. Its nice to see where the fish is when it ripping around especially on top of the water when they do there submarine runs super cool,so i would say it does not make a difference if it did I wouldnt have just purchased a 5400 yd spool last week for the third time in 7 years...

Tight lines
Billydoo

Used hi vis fluorescent green and never had a problem with it. Really helpful when have guests as well and any doubles that criss cross.

Hey Green Horn....If ya don't mind me asking, how much for the 5400 yd spool and where d ya get it??

Ive used berkley big game solar green for years and love it I wouldnt change it for anything.. I also have buds that are top guides on the west coast i yukee and thats what they prefer.. Its nice to see where the fish is when it ripping around especially on top of the water when they do there submarine runs super cool,so i would say it does not make a difference if it did I wouldnt have just purchased a 5400 yd spool last week for the third time in 7 years...

Tight lines
Billydoo

Hi lucky strikes

I shop at my budd Garys store riverside tackle in poco on shaunessy I paid around 130 or less can't remember just pay the bill lol. I buy in bulk because I have 6 reels and like to load them up at the beginning of the season in march the plankton kicks the shot out of it until June then I replace the whole line before I head over off the west coast for the summer some people use backing to save on the amount of line used I personally don't because I love the look of the color fully loaded on my reels. Always haveing fresh line is a must so each time out ill peel off twenty yards or do to make sure my clips don't damage it,I use Scotty clips but take out the plastic piece that is in the back and replace it with a piece of 1-2 inch 3/8 fuel line that makes them ultra tight. I do this for two reasons a. It sets the hook for me when fishing really deep ie 100-250 ft and there is no way that the line is popping out by itself on the way down or when you reach those lower depths, nothing pisses me off more than to keep resetting your gear when your fishing deep. When the fish hits I usually have to reel down really far and pop it out myself alot of guest have problems doing this I just tell them keep reeling your not out of the clip there like what ??? So I take over and pop it out then they see the benefit of having the line tight to the fish as soon as it pops just another tip if your haveing issues with the clips...

Tight lines
Billydoo

Been using it for close to 15 years LOVE it really liked the blue stuff to but its discontinued :( got many a big fish with been trying all the new stuf too P line and others still not as good had some that twisted really bad.

good luck Wolf

As you see, many of us use the hi vis green. I would suggest u change sides with your brother next time out. If the riggers have wire it may be the boat not the line on your reel
Good luck
Stosh

Been using it for close to 15 years LOVE it really liked the blue stuff to but its discontinued :( got many a big fish with been trying all the new stuf too P line and others still not as good had some that twisted really bad.

good luck Wolf

We call it Poo-Line because it twists so effing bad! LOL Im a Berkly Big Game guy too!

GreenHornet (BillyDoo):- got a pic of that release clip that is modified with a piece of fuel line?

GreenHornet (BillyDoo):- got a pic of that release clip that is modified with a piece of fuel line?

ill try to get one Ill hopefully be at my boat this weekend,you have to use a pair of scissors to open up the hole of the clip then spread the back of the clip put the fuel line in and run a piece of ganion or heavy mono through the hole then fuel line then hole and tie it back to the original line i use a little bolen it never comes undone then depending on how long you like it tie it to the snap clip for the downrigger line,I like to use 5ft long anyways so I can flip it into the boat and dont have to lean out over the boat to clip it to my fishing line ..

tight lines
Billydoo

Also use the Berkley Hi Vis Big Game. Bought two 4440 yard drums in Electric Blue and Green, so we should be good for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back