Hey Wolf and Bananas I think you know this guy... oh wait - WE ALL DO!!!!!!!

There are not any full time FF's in Greater Victoria that currently guide up north. There are a handful that did before they became firefighters. There may be a couple that return every now and then for a once per year invitational derby in which they are invited to guide in because they used to work up there before they were hired as firefighters.

P.S. I must correct an earlier statement. I said there was only one ff in Victoria who currently part-time guides. There are two, as their is one more who guides a handful of days per year --- he also owns a tackle store and trust me...they aren't cutting anyone's rates.

Last edited by a moderator:
So being a career FF myself, tell me ..... So Many Of You ....... calling your self a FULL TIME GUIDE ........ you guide Year round 7 days a week, 52 week's a year. I call BS on 99% of you, bet the 99% do other work on the side, or their so Called FULL TIME guiding ..... IS a side line FULL TIME when the fishing is good.
Many GUIDES as you know are retired and have now taken up Chartering as a way to help make ends meet. Nothing wrong with that !

AS said earlier, if a person is FT or PT, and is fully Certified by the regulations demanded by TPCANADA, as is the VESSEL they Charter, who gives a Rats %$%$$%! what they charge especially if they can deliver ! Their profit margin is totally up to them. Its called free enterprise, and if not What UNION DO YOU BELONG TOO? AND ... who's job are you stealing or being accused of stealing?

HT
Fire Fighters already have jobs and incomes............. talk about frigging greed

Pretty sure if you are secure and competant about what you do,be it guiding or selling tackle then you wouldn't be so paranoid about what others are doing.

So can I presume that you have done an accurate study of all of the guiding positions up north and have determined by fact that the " gravy" jobs have gone to FF's ?

Not sure you know what you are talking about. Do you think you know me? Because you don't.

Accurrate study....Well I guided my self but have not since 2005-06. There was a certain guide association that filled extra guide positions year round at many northern lodges. They were always FF's that filled these spots. All organized by a FF the ran the guide association. I know FF's that are still on that list.

A simple guiding license would solve most of this issue. Something like $5,000 to buy in and $500 a year to keep it. No license you get reported and fined. Then only the serious and committed would bother participating...would be good for the industry and for business. A big painted number on your boat says your licensed, just like the commi's.

You sound like you are jealous of FF's. May as well start hacking the loggers,police,teachers,store owners,retired people. Go back to my post about being secure in what you are doing. Greed is your perspective for sure. I am a career FF as well.

Nothing wrong with any one in any Profession wanting to work extra or on the side for extra bucks. I have bust my backside for some lodges in the past working at times for 12 to 18 hour days, just because I have a passion for fishing. I must admit I do not do that any more given a young family and just getting to hard on my body. I now run my own operation and reap the benefits of my hard work and dedication. I am fully compliant with all certifications and regulations and do it yearly.

This Comment about a $5,000 dollar start up and $5,000 per year is a flipping JOKE ! Go ahead and do that, if that was the case, 80 % of these so called FULL TIME GUIDES would be DONE!

If people want to work and work hard doing it hats off to them as far as FF taking away JOBS, give your head a shake. Most so called jobs that are being taken away is because there are to many lazy Jack ___es out there that want to do nothing !

Get off your LAZY back side and find some real WORK and quit your B---hing about FF taking JOBS !

HT

LOL, 80% gone because they won't pay...friggen A Cry me a river. How many even have a simple $100 business license? How many have registered to collect taxes? That is the JOKE!!!! EVERY business comes with costs..oh sorry most pt fishing guides think they are special...just have to own a boat.

JuanDeSooka....if "catch and release" is the future of guided charters....then I'm done paying for charters ...period.

I'm not paying that kind of money to go out and haul in some nice fish and then be treated like a 7 year-old kid as in " o.k....you've had your fun...now put them back".

I fish because I like to eat what I catch....(although on a charter if they wanted to release an 80lb'er that would be fine with me....unless it was a Halibut).

Up here the customer keeps the fish........but in Hawaii all the charter boats are registered as "commercial" and they don't have to give you any fish or any part of a fish you catch if they don't want to.

Same in Mexico also I believe....

Hopefully they don't take that direction around here.....

It's not the PT that are crying a river, so called PROFISHER ........... what credentials you got to even call your self a Profisher ........ speaking of JOKE !
Take a tally, bet most of your so called FT Guides have other jobs too.

Whaaa!

PROFISHER ...
I'll continue to Guide with all my Certification By TPCANADA and be fully compliant and charge what I want also in doing so. As for thinking I'm special ........ no I'm not, but I certainly will hold my own against any one on the water.

HT

I'm with High Tide. I don't care if you are a fireman, baker, or candle stick maker if they are fully Certified by the regulations of TPC who gives a flying f$#k what they charge. As for taking jobs are you kidding me, a guy wants to work and you we are giving him grief. These days it is dam near impossible to find someone to do anything for you. Besides the good guides always seem to come to the top.(Rollie, Wolf, Tailspin, etc, etc ) I know when I tell people who to go with it's those guys because they are the top rods and they also help others who ask for info. That in my option makes these guys true professionals.
Profisher don't you think that you and other guides have jumped though enough hoops already, now you want to pay $5000 for a guiding license. (MED3,ROC,SVOP,first aid etc,,etc,etc) And really do you want some big black ugly # painted on the side of that nice boat of yours? And I may be wrong but don't you have to make more then $30,000 or something like that in order to collect taxes. Again I may be wrong on that.
Fish Assassin what exactly would a "GRAVY JOB" be any way??
As for the guy with the ad, give the guy a break. I'm sure he just rolls over his ad( he might want to check his ad with spell check and update it) and no I don't know the guy.
Again as High Tide said if people want to work my hats off to them.

I Hate to bite on this one..

There is no such thing as a full time guide in Sooke in this inflation era, give your head a shake man. Myself for one will do what i have to for my young family and my sick mother to help them out, except for undercut! Pretty damn sure most would not argue with that...Not a FF but why the hell does it matter what one does. If the schedule fits, and time allows for a secondary method of employment... thats great! How can someone have an issue with that? I and the majority Guides have another job on the side. Anyone has a problem with that come say it to my face. To undermine a guide who is a FF is bloody childish period. Jeolous? I am, lol.

There will always be cheap charters, some last, some don't, Who are we to judge. Maybe TC will do a Raid and thin it out a bit, not very probable in this lifetime though, lol.

Thanks Casper...Lots of Top Rods out there! Even a few Pros, LMAO

It's not the PT that are crying a river, so called PROFISHER ........... what credentials you got to even call your self a Profisher ........ speaking of JOKE !
Take a tally, bet most of your so called FT Guides have other jobs too.

Whaaa!

PROFISHER ...
I'll continue to Guide with all my Certification By TPCANADA and be fully compliant and charge what I want also in doing so. As for thinking I'm special ........ no I'm not, but I certainly will hold my own against any one on the water.

HT

Slagging one of the best guides on the coast makes you look like an a$$

Welcome Tailspin, and yes there is lots of top rods out there. Sorry if I left some of them out. Yes I agree, bet that most do have other jobs.

FACT of the matter remains we all need second jobs to live as the undercutters make it impossable to charge what we really should to survive. Look at CR they start at 100 an hour period sooke way different story you still have to compete to survive. Everyone losses the fact yes its fishing but its still a job if you own your own business in electrical,carpentry,trucking ITS no different than anyone else!!!!!
What would you say to your boss if he asked you to work for a 25% cut on any given day he wishes to pick!!!!! No need to answer I know what the answer would be..........Ol frenchy there may not spell or write well in english but Im sorry to say he doesnt help the business he hurts it badly.....sorry LUC.....

Again, you get what you pay for.

Wow - that stirred pot got to a boil rather quickly. Let's simmer and see if we can actually get along to ensure we don't continue to get screwed as "sportfishermen". The other sectors use our fractured nature to their advantage in order to get their way with gov't. Rather than pointing fingers at each other, let's point them where they belong.

The thread started funny, lead to a bit of healthy debate and has certainly ended heated.

My take on this has nothing to with what one does for their primary source of income and then becomes a PT fishing guide on the side. I have no beef with FF, teachers, or anyone for that matter. I just have a problem with anyone who's main marketing ploy is to enter an industry and sell themselves at a rate that hurts those already established. This puts everyone in a loss situation.

Back