Herring for sale?

Don't know exactly where you are from plumb... but the herring have now moved in to the Comox area. Easily caught my years supply today. Lots of commercial boats around too. Suspect they will have herring available at the Comox dock. Easier to go catch them yourself and lot more fun!!

Don't know exactly where you are from plumb... but the herring have now moved in to the Comox area. Easily caught my years supply today. Lots of commercial boats around too. Suspect they will have herring available at the Comox dock. Easier to go catch them yourself and lot more fun!!
I've never tried to catch herring before, but I have seen the small rigs and wondered if they worked. What are you using prairie buoy?

I'm in Victoria, it's been hit and miss trying to get them here. Sometimes is just easier to buy a bucket and spend the time catching halibut.

You got it! A simple herring rig. I cut in half so use 3-4 hooks. Keeps the tangling down. Watch birds & seals, use electronics. Easy to find, easy and fun to catch. The halibut taste better with your own caught bait... Herring are usually only around for a week or so; when in your local area, get after them!!!

Does anyone know of a place or person selling fresh Herring? All above board and legal?

Once a year you can buy large buckets full of them in both the Vancouver area and the Victoria area. It is a one day fresh fish sale, at least in Victoria, till they are sold out. We take our own 5 gal. pails. Lots of people buy them for eating, pickling and for Halibut bait. I recall it is a charity (I think Children’s Hospital) fund raiser. Just watch for the announcements and news stories in the media and perhaps on this forum.

I did notice the processing plant in James Bay (Victoria area) that sells them apparently charges twice the price as those selling them in Vancouver but still not a bad deal. Perhaps they blame it on the High BC ferry costs if they bring them over from Vancouver and it is for charity. We are use to paying more for most things on the Island.

You can use them for salmon fishing bait also, although they have scale damage etc. and are not handled to the same exacting standards as the bait companies do.

We flat vacuum pack and freeze them for Hali and Ling bait.

When I was a kid we use to jig for lots off the Gorge Bridge in Victoria but that run is very weak now and you will not catch many. In terms of conservation perhaps best to leave the remaining few alone and hope they make a come back.

Last edited by a moderator:
The charity Kids With Cancer fundraiser takes place once a year at the end of Nov. If anyone finds any other options out there for purchase please post it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct me if i am wrong but the Vancouver charity herring sale advertised on CKNW radio was shut down years ago over the non collection of taxes. I never went myself because I wasn't interested at the time, but I new people who did.
If any one knows of something similar, charity or not, in the lower main land please post.

Correct me if i am wrong but the Vancouver charity herring sale advertised on CKNW radio was shut down years ago over the non collection of taxes. I never went myself because I wasn't interested at the time, but I new people who did.
If any one knows of something similar, charity or not, in the lower main land please post.

As far as I know that is not correct in terms of current/recent sales but don't know about ancient history. Did not attend the last sale in Victoria as we still had a fair amount vacuum packed in the freezer for bait from the previous year, but I believe others did. Can't imagine that Govt. bureaucrats and politicians would want to be perceived as killing fund raising that benefits Children with Cancer. That's the kind of thing that gets you bad press and costs votes. A smart politician would show up for a photo op. and meet and greet, buy some Herring and be seen to support kids with cancer; better than kissing babies.

As far as I know that is not correct in terms of current/recent sales but don't know about ancient history. Did not attend the last sale in Victoria as we still had a fair amount vacuum packed in the freezer for bait from the previous year, but I believe others did. Can't imagine that Govt. bureaucrats and politicians would want to be perceived as killing fund raising that benefits Children with Cancer. That's the kind of thing that gets you bad press and costs votes. A smart politician would show up for a photo op. and meet and greet, buy some Herring and be seen to support kids with cancer; better than kissing babies.

Your right about it being ancient history, I herd the announcement on the Rafe Mayer show, and he did hammer them for it. He was a great sport fishing advocate. I have not herd of a sale like it since on the mainland, so I am glad to hear you have one on the island.

Your right about it being ancient history, I herd the announcement on the Rafe Mayer show, and he did hammer them for it. He was a great sport fishing advocate. I have not herd of a sale like it since on the mainland, so I am glad to hear you have one on the island.
the 3rd year it's been is Steveston-Nov 30." Fishermen helping kids with cancer"

Just went down to Goose Spit and watched the Herring slaughter for a bit made me sick watching. Not sure why sports fisherman condone selling herring for any fundraiser? What's wrong with selling cookies? Sell 25 dollar gift tickets to a hatchery I'd buy that. I've never seen so many herring boats all the way from Pt Holmes to the inside of the harbour.

Well, today's activity is not part of any charitable herring sale fundraiser. It's the roe fishery. The one that's most harmful to maintaining stocks. The fundraising stuff happens in the herring food fishery which unfolded late last year. They take way less tonnage in the food fishery.

Forty commercial boats off Point Holmes raping and pillaging today(fairly jaded way to look at it but it's hard not to). One of the highest concentrations of commercial vessels that you see every year. It's amazing that anything gets to the beach to spawn at all.

I am no mathematician....but how how do these numbers add up? I assume they come from a dart board or something.

Strait of Georgia Herring Update March 6

Roe Herring Bulletin: 12
DATE: Mar 6, 2014

STRAIT OF GEORGIA

AREA 14
Shelter Pt to Cape Lazo------------Mar 6:Not assessed
E.C. Denman Island-----------------Mar 6:Not assessed
Lambert to Chrome------------------Mar 6:Not assessed
E.C. Hornby Is---------------------Mar 6:Not assessed
Tribune Bay/Lower Hornby-----------Mar 6:Not assessed
Upper Baynes Sd--------------------Mar 6:1,000 tons
Lower Baynes Sd--------------------Mar 6:NFF
Mapleguard to Nile Cr--------------Mar 6:NFF
Nile Creek to French Cr------------Mar 5:3,000 tons
French Cr to NW Bay----------------Mar 6:1,900 tons

Total Area 14: 60,000 tons

AREA 17 NORTH
Dorcas Pt/Schooner Cove------------Mar 6:Not assessed
Inner Nanoose----------------------Mar 6:Not assessed
Outer Nanoose----------------------Mar 6:Not assessed
Neck Pt to Dodd Narrows------------Mar 6:Not assessed
TOTAL AREA 17N: Not assessed

AREA 17 SOUTH----------------------Mar 6: Not assessed

Total Area 17: Not assessed

TOTAL STRAIT OF GEORGIA: 75,000 tons.

The roe herring seine fishery reopened this morning at 06:45 hours March 6,
2014 in Upper Baynes Sound on approximately 1,000 tons. The waters of Comox
Harbour in Subarea 14-14 are closed to fishing. The approximate hailed catch
for the seine fishery is 6,500 tons this morning. Further fishing opportunities
today will be discussed with the pool captains for each pool.

The gillnet fishery opened in Area 14 and Area 17 North at 09:30 hours
Wednesday, March 5, 2014 and is open until further notice. Hailed catch this
morning is approximately 850 tons. Fishing has been concentrated in the Cape
Lazo and Sandy Island areas. The spawn flight scheduled for 0900 hrs this
morning has been delayed due to weather and is on standby for this afternoon.

The test vessel Ante B is assessing the Baynes Sound area today. The weather
forecast is SE 15 to 20 this afternoon.

ROE TEST CODE:Date; Location; roe yield; fish size; males; females; #1-#2-#3-#
spawned; juvenile;(roe weight:fish weight)

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0164
Sent March 6, 2014 at 1025

Back